Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 00:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/130/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Starting again today to be very seriously low carbing. I had lost 20 lbs but regained 15 by indulging once again in baked goods when I bake for guests, then keep eating them after they have gone. I am also a cheesaholic, as I convince myself it is protein and very low carb, but from today I am strictly quitting sugar in any shape or form, and restricting cheese to 2 ounces a day. I may have to reduce to 1 ounce if I don't lose weight this week.
I am actually 81, but still want to look good and be healthy. I do not take any medication. Good luck to everyone. Let's just do it.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 21:33

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Wonderful post Crawfie.
I do not think there is a time in life that we do not want to look good and be healthy.
I'm 73 and feel the same exact way.
My mother is 95 and still feels that way.
I have numerous health problems that interfere with losing weight, but feel better when I eat low carb.
My favorite meal is grilled chicken salad.
When I first did Atkins back in 1972 I ate eggs, more eggs, and then again more eggs.
Today there are so many more ways to eat low carb.
More information and yet I fail to listen to it sometimes.
Today I had ribs (no sauce) and a salad with unsweet tea.
N2L
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 01:57

BF:

Thanks Never to late. I was at a buffet lunch yesterday and was so proud that I did not succumb to any carb. I was disappointed this morning to find, however, that I have not lost an ounce in 6 days, I have constipation so perhaps tomorrow, the end of my week, there will be a loss of a pound. My aim is one pound a week until I reach my goal. I will stay strong and committed and be patient. I have lost four pounds since I started on 2 January, so I will not be deterred, but will just keep on until I get there.
You ate well yesterday. I love chicken salad, but don't enjoy salad when weather is very cold. I make lots of soup and have that for lunch, but worry it may have too many carbs.
Let's Just do it. Have a good day.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 07:33
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

N2L and Crawfie this thread is not much traveled, but we're in the minority, right? You're both are on the right track.

I've been giving up foods since summer in an attempt to deal with my dermatitis-which-cannot-be-named. No more cow's milk dairy or eggs. Things are improving and I'm even losing ounces for the first time in a long time. This is what I need to do. Best of all, my "love handles" are getting smaller and I've had them so long I thought they were a permanent feature of my body.

All we can do is make the choice to stay OP, one minute at a time.
g
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 07:54

BF:

You are so right, Bluesinger, choose to stay OP one minute at a time. That really resonated with me, rather than one day at a time. I cannot believe that I allowed myself to regain most of the weight I had lost, but I won't be doing that again. I have learnt my lesson. Those little indulgences in home bakes are just not worth it. I am looking forward to having a slim summer. I can do it and I will do it.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 01:21

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

One thing I know about this way of eating is that inches go away sometimes when pounds do not.
I can look down at my body and see it blossom if I've eaten bread products or sugary foods.
I can eat the vegetables that have carbs and not see the swelling.
This tells me something.
It isn't all about the pounds.
But today I failed.
I ate chicken parmesan and it led to more carbs.
Just need to go 2 weeks really low and I start to loose the cravings.
Yes we can and we will.
N2L
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 16:18

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I have just returned to daily posting after about 6 months of not posting. I am supposedly on maintenance but am having a hard time keeping it off.

I am 74. I started this journey 2 and a half years ago. I go to a light aerobics/zumba type class twice a week. I was going to a "ripped" class where I just did what i could do. But after hundreds of squats and an incident at Mammoth Cave where I walked down 150 steps, I have pretty bad shin splints. I really like to exercise but I have little motivation these days.

I had a major back surgery 4 years ago when my whole lumbar spine was fused. It was a huge success and I don't have back pain anymore. But, I have arthritis in my wrists and ankles/feet. I quit taking any pain meds about 2 years ago after my initial weight loss. For the most part I am doing well.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 20:10

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Oma..I too am getting older...76. I had a procedure this morning to check things out and I need hyatal hernia surgery. GI doc said it s a very big hole and he'll get right on it. I have a follow up next Tues. d o will see what he says. We know ea[I]ch other pretty well and see each other at the gym all the time.
I couldn't exercise today because of the anesthetic but I can go tomorrow bright and early. Wed is my day to get tested for food allergies. I do this every 2 years. I've eaten way too much again today because my throat is sore from the tube and I had to stay j ome. I think exercise snd drinking water are my activities that keep me on track. Keep on truckin'
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 20:53

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt4930
Oma..I too am getting older...76. I had a procedure this morning to check things out and I need hyatal hernia surgery. GI doc said it s a very big hole and he'll get right on it. I have a follow up next Tues. d o will see what he says. We know ea[I]ch other pretty well and see each other at the gym all the time.
'

I hope your surgery goes well. Take care.
I have had that procedure a couple of times--not fun. I managed to avoid surgery so far.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 13:22

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Posting so I can follow from my User CP. "Only" 64.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-17, 16:06

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

I flunked food allergy testing because I forgot an took a drammamine. Will try again later on the GI doc surprised me and said to wait 3 months on the hiatal hernia. I guess he did that because the new medicine for acid is working. It's OK with me.
In the meantime my bone density test came out that I'm the same or a little bit better.
I went thru the first half of getting my nerves in lower back done and I'm fine. He'll do other side in 3 weeks. It's hurt so bad that I stopped exercising for 2 weeks. I'll start back slowly and gently tomorrow if I have time.
I think we're all doing fine.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-17, 16:40
Doing My Best

I'll be 72 in July, which is younger than some of you. Not used to being the youngest in the room.

I'm still doing my walking regime, still feel energetic and am still not on the meds. Also losing weight again and buying smaller jeans. Did give up my fav nuts - pistachios.

When I read about your health problems, I feel very lucky. My genes are good ones and this WOE helps keep me healthy. Coming to grips with having an older face and doing my best to embrace it as beautiful. Hmph!

Take care of you.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 14:05
Registered Member

Stats: 212.0/212.0/175.0 Female 5ft 5in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi there...71 in October, a few health issues (spinal stenosis abd bulging disc resulting in chronic sciatica). Been through therapy, epidurals and chiropractic care. Refused long term pain meds, having my nerves burnt and back surgery. Figure it's better to walk with a cane than destroy my nerves, kidneys and liver. Having said that, looks like I came to the right place. I still work part time and will continue til I'm 10 toes up. I work as a crossing guard and playground monitor at a nearby school. Playground monitor really takes it's tole on me so leaving that next school year to do pet sitting. Much easier on the sciatica. My chiropractor suggested losing weight might help and since he's done well on LC thought I'd give it a go. Today is day 2 and my outlook is great!
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 14:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/152/110 Female 5 ft 0 in
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'm 73. Been on and off LC since the early 1970s. I was in the normal weight range for almost 7 years until I quit smoking 7 years ago, started gaining weight slowly without changing my diet, and then fell off the wagon completely. Trying to get back on it now.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 15:46
Doing My Best

Since my last post, I got a new doctor who has put me on a prescription strength med for my pollen allergies and they are better. I thought I'd share because the medication blocks a different histamine. Claritin and those like it block H1 and this one blocks H2. The strangest thing about it is that the medication is for excess stomach acid, not treating allergies. In very high doses it blocks H2. Ranitidine 300 (Zantac is a brand name). Just in case you need the info.

My food allergies are still with me so I have to watch carefully.

I also engaged a personal trainer for a few sessions and I'm now doing a program lifting weights. I feel much more energetic, even trotting up the stairs now instead of trudging.

My weight loss continues so I've lowered my goal weight again. 72 is just around the corner and I'm feeling great. Fingers crossed.