Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 06:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Luckily, the Summit is mostly listening, so you can multi-task Be Aware that the Summit has a wide-range of opinions on carb levels, foods to eat, just about everything. Yesterday JJVirgin trashed the VLC level and whey protein, while Masley recommended whey every morning. Last year, the Reversing Diabetes group warned their members away from it, since it is confusing to anyone who is just starting to consider lower carb levels. Sure you will learn a lot from it.
100 g carbs a day is a major improvement from managing your insulin levels on 200g. Check Dr Bernstein's article on "The Law of Small Numbers". http://www.diabetes-book.com/laws-small-numbers/
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 06:14
Registered Member

Plan: based on the book below
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 178cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...SE-11-DAYS.html

I don't know if this has been posted yet. Just one anecdote, but the subject was never much overweight--they don't say specifically, but judging from the misleading headline and the text, I'd guess he started with a bmi of 25.1, barely in the overweight category. He talks about wanting to lose a sixth of his weight, to match subjects who reverted to pre-pre-diabetes or whatever we're calling it today, but I don't think the people who developed this particular approach would want to dwell on that much, it's fatty liver and pancreas they're more concerned with, and it takes very little actual fat to muck things up there. Being obese certainly makes it more likely for a person's liver and pancreas to be excessively fatty, but being otherwise very lean doesn't rule it out.

The diet used was 45 percent carbohydrate, so not a very ketogenic ratio, but since the calories were kept to 600 plus some low carb veggies, the actual anti-ketogenic load was probably lower than it would be for people eating low carbohydrate diets to satiety.

thanks for sharing the article, very interesting to read. His bmi was 21, but his stress level was high.

"Skinny people get type 2 diabetes too: 10st 7lb man who exercised regularly is stunned to learn HE has the condition - which he then REVERSED in 11 days with new diet
Richard Doughty, 59, exercised regularly and followed a healthy diet
At 5ft 7in and 10st 7lb, his Body Mass Index (BMI) was a healthy 21
But he had endured a very stressful time - and stress can trigger condition
Remarkably, he managed to reverse his diabetes in under two weeks
Achieved this by eating just 800 calories a day - from vegetables and soup"
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 13:33

Just found a new article by Marika Sboros, based on interview with Tim Noakes. Noakes: The Idiot's Guide to LCHF and Banting. A very good summary of the Real Meal Revolution book, including his comments on carb levels ranges for healthy athletes to diabetics. There is a very active Banting FB page with a "starter guide" pinned at top, similar to the tool chest at the Reversing Diabetes FB page, and you can find a number of good talks by Prof Noakes about his journey from carb-loading to LCHF on YouTube.

http://foodmed.net/2016/04/18/noake...hf-and-banting/

EDIT: added Saturday morning...Dr. Lustig's talk starts out with all the examples of T2 Diabetes and no Obesity...thought of you...rest of talk about what is the problem...high sugar, low fiber=western processed foods =>fatty liver for the non-obese. The obese get visceral fat.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-23-16 at 09:35.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-16, 07:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Just found a new article by Marika Sboros, based on interview with Tim Noakes. Noakes: The Idiot's Guide to LCHF and Banting. A very good summary of the Real Meal Revolution book, including his comments on carb levels ranges for healthy athletes to diabetics. There is a very active Banting FB page with a "starter guide" pinned at top, similar to the tool chest at the Reversing Diabetes FB page, and you can find a number of good talks by Prof Noakes about his journey from carb-loading to LCHF on YouTube.

http://foodmed.net/2016/04/18/noake...hf-and-banting/

EDIT: added Saturday morning...Dr. Lustig's talk starts out with all the examples of T2 Diabetes and no Obesity...thought of you...rest of talk about what is the problem...high sugar, low fiber=western processed foods =>fatty liver for the non-obese. The obese get visceral fat.

Thanks, you are very helpful for me to learn all these basics. In fact now I am reading the book: The Real Meal Revolution. I will look for Dr. Lustig's talk too.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-16, 07:54

Good, I liked his summary of Banting and level of carbs for various conditions. The large FB page is called Banting 7 day meal plan, and it has a .pdf pinned at top, and the Real Meal website has the program outline as well.
I was referring to Dr Lustig's talk on the Diabetes Summit, free viewing now over. But he was pointing out the increase in diabetes in countries where the BMIs are normal...think it was India and China? If you have never seen his classic Lecture, "Sugar, the Bitter Truth" it has over 6 million views now. dR Hallberg's has 711,000 views in less than a year...see so many people now saying they watched it, followed her simple guidelines and reversed their diabetes. She has made an amazing impact in a short time.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-16, 07:31

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Rider - I'm just popping in to say you've been given a great deal of good information and advice over the past two weeks...all of it saying unequivocally that YES, a low carb diet can reverse Type2 diabetes...even in a person who is at a "normal" weight.

I totally understand that it may take you awhile to wrap your head around all of it. BUT - and this is a big BUT - until you make up your mind to TRY SOMETHING different with your diet - you are not going to change your diabetes situation. You can read every book that has ever been written on curing/reversing/controlling/resolving diabetes using dietary means, and it won't do you one bit of good unless and until YOU make some changes in your own diet. You can watch every youtube video that has ever been posted and it won't do you a bit of good. YOU HAVE TO DECIDE TO MAKE CHANGES AND THEN DO IT.

No other person in the world is exactly like you so the EXACT diet that worked for someone else to cure/reverse/control/resolve their diabetes may or may not work for you. But you are enough like every other person with diabetes (even though you're not overweight) that you can learn from what HAS WORKED for them.

Khrussva is/was diabetic. My husband is/was diabetic. Macie14 is/was diabetic. Jey100 is/was diabetic. Cotonpal is/was diabetic. Each and everyone of them has cured/reversed/controlled/resolved his or her diabetes by following a low carb diet. And, if you look you'll find dozens and dozens of other people posting on this forum who have done the same thing. Low-carb WORKS.

The exact details of each person's low-carb journey are, I am sure, different. YOU WON'T figure out what will work for you until/unless you dive in and start "experimenting" on yourself.

Library (background) research is fine... up to a point. But it is time for YOU to get into the laboratory and start doing some "bench work" on YOURSELF.

You have been diagnosed with diabetes. You've got a BG meter. Beg your doctor to prescribe for you to take your blood sugar eight or more times per day so that your insurance will provide you with plenty of test strips (or bite the bullet and just buy a bunch more) and then start experimenting.

Unless you're currently taking insulin or some other drug that increases insulin production, no diet you choose to follow with will do you any harm if you only follow it for a short period of time. If you are on insulin or an insulin stimulating drug, then YES you need to be very careful to start slowly and decrease you medication to match your lower carb intake levels.

Otherwise, just PICK a starting point. Doesn't matter if it is pure Bernstein, Fung's IF, under 50g carbs/day, under 100g carbs/day, only cutting out breads and obvious sugars, going strict paleo, or whatever.... just START. Follow your plan for just two weeks while checking and recording both your fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels and your weight. If BG readings are better - even a tiny bit better - than what you've been seeing on your current way of eating, then stick with that program or even move a little further in THAT direction to see if you can't get even better results. If you start losing weight that you don't want to lose, then add more calories but not more carbs.

If your BG results don't improve at all, you can always stop and try something different. But dang it my friend, STOP just talking about low-carbing and "researching" it and START DOING something!

You've got nothing to lose - except your risk of future blindness, diabetic neuropathy, losing a toe or a foot, renal failure, heart disease, stroke and diabetic dementia.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-16, 17:41

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

My partner and I are on the same Way of Eating: I am obese and not diabetic, and he is of normal weight, and is diabetic.

We believe we are two sides of the same coin: insulin resistant.

So we are both eating less than 20 carbs and eating only real food. I am losing weight (through intermittent fasting) and he is drastically lowering his insulin usage. When he is very good about not eating carbs, he can drop both his day and night insulin and keep his BG in the 80's and 90's. This is after using insulin for over 20 years. His endo doesn't really support him, but he's keeping track of everything, and maybe with that evidence, he'll suggest the diet to his other patients.

So, although I wouldn't use the word "cured," there seems to be a lot of people on this forum that are pretty darn close. Imagine if we could get rid of the idea that diabetes is an inevitable, progressive, decline in health?

It's worth a try for sure.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 00:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Rider - I'm just popping in to say you've been given a great deal of good information and advice over the past two weeks...all of it saying unequivocally that YES, a low carb diet can reverse Type2 diabetes...even in a person who is at a "normal" weight.

I totally understand that it may take you awhile to wrap your head around all of it. BUT - and this is a big BUT - until you make up your mind to TRY SOMETHING different with your diet - you are not going to change your diabetes situation. You can read every book that has ever been written on curing/reversing/controlling/resolving diabetes using dietary means, and it won't do you one bit of good unless and until YOU make some changes in your own diet. You can watch every youtube video that has ever been posted and it won't do you a bit of good. YOU HAVE TO DECIDE TO MAKE CHANGES AND THEN DO IT.

No other person in the world is exactly like you so the EXACT diet that worked for someone else to cure/reverse/control/resolve their diabetes may or may not work for you. But you are enough like every other person with diabetes (even though you're not overweight) that you can learn from what HAS WORKED for them.

Khrussva is/was diabetic. My husband is/was diabetic. Macie14 is/was diabetic. Jey100 is/was diabetic. Cotonpal is/was diabetic. Each and everyone of them has cured/reversed/controlled/resolved his or her diabetes by following a low carb diet. And, if you look you'll find dozens and dozens of other people posting on this forum who have done the same thing. Low-carb WORKS.

The exact details of each person's low-carb journey are, I am sure, different. YOU WON'T figure out what will work for you until/unless you dive in and start "experimenting" on yourself.

Library (background) research is fine... up to a point. But it is time for YOU to get into the laboratory and start doing some "bench work" on YOURSELF.

You have been diagnosed with diabetes. You've got a BG meter. Beg your doctor to prescribe for you to take your blood sugar eight or more times per day so that your insurance will provide you with plenty of test strips (or bite the bullet and just buy a bunch more) and then start experimenting.

Unless you're currently taking insulin or some other drug that increases insulin production, no diet you choose to follow with will do you any harm if you only follow it for a short period of time. If you are on insulin or an insulin stimulating drug, then YES you need to be very careful to start slowly and decrease you medication to match your lower carb intake levels.

Otherwise, just PICK a starting point. Doesn't matter if it is pure Bernstein, Fung's IF, under 50g carbs/day, under 100g carbs/day, only cutting out breads and obvious sugars, going strict paleo, or whatever.... just START. Follow your plan for just two weeks while checking and recording both your fasting and postprandial blood sugar levels and your weight. If BG readings are better - even a tiny bit better - than what you've been seeing on your current way of eating, then stick with that program or even move a little further in THAT direction to see if you can't get even better results. If you start losing weight that you don't want to lose, then add more calories but not more carbs.

If your BG results don't improve at all, you can always stop and try something different. But dang it my friend, STOP just talking about low-carbing and "researching" it and START DOING something!

You've got nothing to lose - except your risk of future blindness, diabetic neuropathy, losing a toe or a foot, renal failure, heart disease, stroke and diabetic dementia.

Yes, I fully agree with you that I need to take some actions for low-carb. Let me to think about WHAT are the options I can take in terms of reducing carb intake, monitoring of BG levels, etc.

Again, thank you for encouragement, definitely, I will START TO TAKE ACTIONS SOON.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 00:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
My partner and I are on the same Way of Eating: I am obese and not diabetic, and he is of normal weight, and is diabetic.

We believe we are two sides of the same coin: insulin resistant.

So we are both eating less than 20 carbs and eating only real food. I am losing weight (through intermittent fasting) and he is drastically lowering his insulin usage. When he is very good about not eating carbs, he can drop both his day and night insulin and keep his BG in the 80's and 90's. This is after using insulin for over 20 years. His endo doesn't really support him, but he's keeping track of everything, and maybe with that evidence, he'll suggest the diet to his other patients.

So, although I wouldn't use the word "cured," there seems to be a lot of people on this forum that are pretty darn close. Imagine if we could get rid of the idea that diabetes is an inevitable, progressive, decline in health?

It's worth a try for sure.

Thank you for sharing your LC diet experiences. After much reading, I think the OLD idea that diabetes can not be cured, is NOT TURE. At least for some people the progressive process can be slowed down, or even reversed. Although this reverse process may not be achieved for all people with diabetes.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 06:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Rider, read Dr Atkins' books, Dr Atkins Diet Revolution or Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. Both are easily available on Amazon for very little, and the essentials of induction are available here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...44&page=1&pp=15.

Use his induction phase to get into ketosis, the metabolic process that will lower your body's need for insulin, because it uses fat and protein for energy.

Monitor your BGs during induction. I'd stay in induction for at least a month, to get a pattern.

Then you can modify, if needed, adding back safe foods with carbs ONE AT A TIME, and watching to see if your BGs remain at a healthy, stable level. If so, great. If not, ditch that food.

Planning is good. But implementing is the only way to get results. Stop telling yourself "soon." Give yourself a date, within the next week, that you will start, and do it.

It's really the only way that works.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-16, 07:02

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

We probably just need more words. Is gangrene a disease? Measles? Of course. Measles can be cured, the body learns to kill the little boogers that cause it, immunity develops.

Gangrene can be cured, even if it involves removing the diseased flesh. But somebody who is gangrene-free, and maybe no more prone to developing gangrene than the next guy, will still develop gangrene again if you recreate the conditions that led to the gangrene in the first place. You do not have to become immune to a disease to say that that disease has been cured.

Poorly controlled diabetics are more susceptible to gangrene--that does not lead us to say that an uninfected individual who is diabetic has gangrene, just that they are more susceptible. Logically, saying that somebody is cured of diabetes, but that they will always be in the highest risk group for redeveloping diabetes if they return to their old diet and lifestyle should get around the fear that saying that somebody is cured will prompt them to throw all caution to the wind and wind up hyperglycemic and hyperinsulinemic again.

Dr. Michael Eades did a talk at Capetown where he went into the idea of the importance of narratives. Paleo is a powerful narrative, it makes dieting more fun. Whether we call this a cure for diabetes, or just a therapy that puts it into remission is largely semantic--and it being semantic, maybe it makes more sense to choose the words that will do the most people the most good. A cure is a more powerful idea than a remission of diabetes is, and it is just as true, as long as you keep the idea that a relapse in diet etc. will lead to a return of the disease.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 04:31

Diabetes: We're doing it wrong.
Good summary from Dr Lustig's group, Responsible Nutrition.
http://www.responsiblefoods.org/mismanaging_diabetes
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 04:38
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Rider, read Dr Atkins' books, Dr Atkins Diet Revolution or Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. Both are easily available on Amazon for very little, and the essentials of induction are available here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...44&page=1&pp=15.

Use his induction phase to get into ketosis, the metabolic process that will lower your body's need for insulin, because it uses fat and protein for energy.

Monitor your BGs during induction. I'd stay in induction for at least a month, to get a pattern.

Then you can modify, if needed, adding back safe foods with carbs ONE AT A TIME, and watching to see if your BGs remain at a healthy, stable level. If so, great. If not, ditch that food.

Planning is good. But implementing is the only way to get results. Stop telling yourself "soon." Give yourself a date, within the next week, that you will start, and do it.

It's really the only way that works.

Thanks for your encouragement, I will start from next Monday to monitor my BG level a few times per day to get a baseline reading, no change for my food, medication, for a week. Then I will cut down my carb to 100g/day from 200g/day now, to see how BG levels will react to the low carb.

I have checked the induction link, it's a great group, but seems to me the main objective of the group is to lose weight, so this group may not be suitable to me because I don't need to lose weight, my BMI is 22.

"We call ourselves "Hard Core" because we are a group of like-minded people with the same philosophy about losing weight.
We are following A '72 Induction until we reach our GOAL WEIGHT without CHEATING!
Some of us will remain at Induction level carbs even in maintenance because we are that carb sensitive!"

BTW, I found a group in this forum, Semi-Low carb, will take a close look, maybe more suitable for me.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 04:56
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
We probably just need more words. Is gangrene a disease? Measles? Of course. Measles can be cured, the body learns to kill the little boogers that cause it, immunity develops.

Gangrene can be cured, even if it involves removing the diseased flesh. But somebody who is gangrene-free, and maybe no more prone to developing gangrene than the next guy, will still develop gangrene again if you recreate the conditions that led to the gangrene in the first place. You do not have to become immune to a disease to say that that disease has been cured.

Poorly controlled diabetics are more susceptible to gangrene--that does not lead us to say that an uninfected individual who is diabetic has gangrene, just that they are more susceptible. Logically, saying that somebody is cured of diabetes, but that they will always be in the highest risk group for redeveloping diabetes if they return to their old diet and lifestyle should get around the fear that saying that somebody is cured will prompt them to throw all caution to the wind and wind up hyperglycemic and hyperinsulinemic again.

Dr. Michael Eades did a talk at Capetown where he went into the idea of the importance of narratives. Paleo is a powerful narrative, it makes dieting more fun. Whether we call this a cure for diabetes, or just a therapy that puts it into remission is largely semantic--and it being semantic, maybe it makes more sense to choose the words that will do the most people the most good. A cure is a more powerful idea than a remission of diabetes is, and it is just as true, as long as you keep the idea that a relapse in diet etc. will lead to a return of the disease.

As for the confusions of the english terms: cure/reverse/remission, seems to me that so far the established professional bodies such as NIH, etc. does not recognise or formally accept the evidences by changing diets diabetes can be cured/reversed or in remission, at least for sub-groups of diabetes patients.

So I will expect the confusions will continue for a long while until things become more clear and diet based diabetes treatment become viable options for wide ranges of patients around the world.

Just my 2 cents
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-16, 06:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Diabetes: We're doing it wrong.
Good summary from Dr Lustig's group, Responsible Nutrition.
http://www.responsiblefoods.org/mismanaging_diabetes

thanks for sharing the page and the video, I enjoyed very much, especially, the real food vs the processed food

I don't eat much sugar, but not sure how much sugar are there in the processed food which I eat:-(, need to take a close look.