Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 05:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Pharmaceutical Advertising

What's wrong with direct to consumer advertising:

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/...ep-advertising/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 09:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

The first red flag should be how it successfully increases demand for the drug. So it obviously has nothing to do with medical need for the drug!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 10:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Very informative article, thanks for the link. This has become an insidious practice in the US that EU has been smart to avoid by banning. The practice of TV commercials uses a negative Neuro-linguistic Programming method to give viewers the impression that the issue discussed is something everyone experiences and that it's inevitable, so the drug is the commonplace solution to rid one of the issue. In this case, it's insomnia, but we can add to the list of commercials now airing that have drug solutions for diabetes, arrhythmia, indigestion, arthritis, and several other maladies. Hey, everyone who's in the "know" is using this treatment, so it's important that those experiencing these health symptoms get on board, now! They are missing out on life due to their health maladies that can be resolved with a simple prescription.

Something must be done, as many viewers are lulled into believing that the only recourse is to treat it with a pill. The voice overs regarding side effects are so elegantly done that even the side effect of "thoughts of suicide" seems to be a minor inconvenience compared to having to live with the health issue.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 20:53

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Canada doesn't allow pharmaceutical advertising on TV either, but we see it on US channels. I think the US may be alone in trying to get people to beg their doctors for more drugs they don't need.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-16, 22:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Canada doesn't allow pharmaceutical advertising on TV either, but we see it on US channels. I think the US may be alone in trying to get people to beg their doctors for more drugs they don't need.

Not quite alone; I understand New Zealand also allows this. One more reason to be glad that I don't watch television.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 00:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Turn OFF the tube, I don't like the ads either for cars, pills and lawyers. Every time I just randomly switch it on to catch the news, weather or whatever it's always on a commercial. My sister has cable and it's even worse.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 07:05

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Appreciate the link to this article. I'm among the non-TV cohort, and one reason is the oppression of advertising. Of course, ads are everywhere your eyes fall these days. I'm extremely grateful for the option on this forum--for a contribution, you get AD FREE access. Try it. You'll like it! And no gruesome side-effects.

The other day I sat down to read my Medicare plan Evidence of Coverage book. Just in case I might run into some reimbursement issue. The formulary is amazing--and it's described as "partial." How do docs keep up with all this stuff? My only med is a generic thyroid supplement, which I get for $0. But who could I trust if some med might actually help some condition I might have??

And what about folks who can't or won't read and research to be informed about such things?

Well, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. I can't afford that fuzzy critter that spells SLEEP.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 09:40

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

In the United States, commercials like these are simply part of the cultural wallpaper.

LOL! I figured they must be making billions because they're spending millions on advertising. My hunch is they're driving up the cost of a 20 second spot. There oughtta be a law...

I love the ad for *** drug..."Although it's not indicated for weight loss, you may lose some weight." There's the hook-you know some people are going to beg for this drug.

Great article, thanks.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 11:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

If you have coverage from any of the big insurance companies, the chances are that the formulary is minuscule, compared to the ACTUAL formulary of drugs that are FDA approved for this or that.

Of course, there's a reason for that: denying coverage, or lowering the percentage of the cost paid for the vast majority of meds assures the bottom line for the various insurers.

Husband was getting Synvisc, on a 6 month basis, for the arthritis in his knees. He's also a runner, which means that that's pretty much the only medical care he gets.

About 2 years ago, after covering it for him for over 2 years, BCBS decided that it was "experimental" for arthritic knees, and started denying coverage.

Last year, in preparation for a complaint to the Commissioner of Commerce, who governs insurance companies, I did some research. It was FD approved, specifically for knees, back in 2004.

As we prepared our complaint, BCBS changed their ruling on Synvisc, and made the complaint moot.

About 3 weeks later, there was a note in the business section of the paper: BCBS had been fined by the C of C for improperly denying coverage for many medications.

That, unfortunately, is the flip side of the disgusting ads for meds for everything from depression to restless legs. Even if a med is needed, such as Synvisc for arthritis, or any number of chemotherapeutic drugs for cancers, if you can't get coverage for it, they may as well not exist, because the vast majority of Americans cannot afford to pay for them.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 12:42

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I turned off the TV over 35 years ago - no cable - no antenna - no digital converter - and my life has been much better for that.

TV is nothing but a salesman in your home. Not only the advertisements, but the shows themselves. Want people to buy black SUV's? Show enough heroes in TV shows driving black SUV's. Want people to ditch their wire rim glasses for plastic ones, show the stars wearing plastic ones. Want people to love an unhealthy food (insert brand name), show the stars in the dramas indulging and swooning over them. American Idol winners are picked before the season because the show is nothing but a promotion for the people who will "win". News shows have shown to be less than 10% true on the two worst (Fox and MSNBC) - and the others don't do that much better.

Just say "No" to TV.

Bob