Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 12:47
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

2 ounces aloe vera juice 2-3 times a day on an empty stomach can help heal the gut.

When I was taking it it was first thing in the morning, mid day, and before bed. I was using George's.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 13:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good idea, Zuleikaa! I'll try it.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 18:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Sorry you're having these problems, Nancy.

The Eadeses had a gut rehab program in PPLP. I believe it centered around highly filtered whey protein, L-G, pharmaceutical grade fish oil, a few other supplements, clear fluids, and not much else at first. I don't have my copy of the book any more.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 19:06
Experimenter

BF:

After reading more at Enterolab, I think I have a plan.

I'm going to eliminate the ones that seem the worst first. Bye, bye tuna.

===========================================
Comprehensive Gluten/Antigenic Food Sensitivity Stool Panel

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 95 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA 124 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA 45 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-soy IgA 61 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Mean Value 11 Antigenic Foods 51 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Grains:
Grain toward which you displayed the most immunologic reactivity: Corn
Grain toward which you displayed intermediate immunologic reactivity: Oat
Grain toward which you displayed the least immunologic reactivity: Rice

Meats:
Meat toward which you displayed the most immunologic reactivity: Tuna
Meat toward which you were next most immunologically reactive: Chicken
Meat toward which you displayed intermediate immunologic reactivity: Beef
Meat toward which you displayed the least immunologic reactivity: Pork

Nuts:
Nut toward which you displayed the most immunologic reactivity: Almond
Nut toward which you displayed intermediate immunologic reactivity: Cashew
Nut toward which you displayed the least immunologic reactivity: Walnut

Corn, Tuna, Almonds... gone! Dang, I have so much canned tuna on hand. Well, it can be an emergency ration. But this also means Quest bars gotta go. They've got corn fiber or something like that in them.

Dairy also has to go, but not until I finish up my current batch. Then chicken and beef.

After a month or so of gut healing I'll start adding in novel proteins like lamb, fish (not tuna), and duck.

During my elimination time, I'll use l-glutamine and stay far away from NSAIDs.

Other changes I suspect I should make include:

Giving up sugar free mints and gum.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 19:20
Experimenter

BF:

Here's what Enterolab recommends:
Quote:
Dietary Recommendation Based on Test Results to Individual Foods:

This test panel was designed to guide your choices when building a new more healthful, less antigenic dietary plan. The results are delivered in such a way that you are not left with “nothing to eat,” but instead they should guide you in avoiding the foods to which the highest or most immunologic reaction was detected (and hence, are most stimulating to your immune system). We discourage dietary changes that involve removing too many foods at once. This can lead you to feel too hungry too often, especially if adequate healthful replacement foods are not readily available. Dietary elimination (beyond gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free) is best approached over a period of weeks to months and sometimes years, removing one or two additional foods at a time, rather than removing many foods at once.

If you reacted to more than one of the grains, meats, or nuts, we recommend that you first eliminate from your diet the one food from that class you reacted to most strongly, while keeping in your diet the ones you reacted to less strongly. When you want to try and eliminate additional foods, do so in the order of the strength of reaction from highest, intermediate, to least. In the case of potato, you may want to eliminate it if you reacted positively to it.

If you have an autoimmune or chronic inflammatory syndrome, or just want to pursue an optimally healthy diet and lifestyle, avoiding all grains, meats, and nightshades can optimize an anti-inflammatory diet (despite a negative result on food testing). As nuts and seeds are a very healthful source of vegetarian protein and heart-protective oils and minerals, rather than avoiding all nuts and seeds, you can render nuts and seeds less antigenic, more digestible, and more easily tolerated by choosing the few that you seem to best tolerate overall, soaking a one-day supply in a glass jar filled with clean water for 4-8 hours (or for ease, overnight), and pouring off the water and rinsing before eating. The resultant soaked nuts or seeds can be eaten as is (alone or with fresh or dried fruit), blended into nut butters (by adding some water), or added to “smoothies.”
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 00:15

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
soaking a one-day supply in a glass jar filled with clean water for 4-8 hours (or for ease, overnight), and pouring off the water and rinsing before eating. The resultant soaked nuts or seeds can be eaten as is (alone or with fresh or dried fruit), blended into nut butters (by adding some water), or added to “smoothies.”

Oh, yumm! Mushy nuts! You could also do as described, and then spread the nuts on a baking sheet, and put in a very low oven till they are dry. The soaking will have removed some of the phytates, but this advantage won't be negated by drying them again once they are soaked.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 08:42
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, sounds terrible to me. I'd probably roast them. I also agree that soaking only removes some of the issues.

It occurred to me that having one meal a day might help me a lot since so many foods are problematic with me. I just find it terribly hard to fast.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 09:22
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, sounds terrible to me. I'd probably roast them. I also agree that soaking only removes some of the issues.

It occurred to me that having one meal a day might help me a lot since so many foods are problematic with me. I just find it terribly hard to fast.
What about fasting is hard for you? Is it mental or physical? I ask because once I'm in ketosis, fasting means nothing to me, as I have no physical hunger. The mental side is insignificant as long as I keep myself busy. If it's chewing you need and you aren't seaweed intolerant, you might try the roasted seaweed. I love it and its salty, crunchy texture which changes in the mouth to chewy. Just trying to help.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 10:07
Experimenter

BF:

Hunger, restlessness, inability to sleep well. I suspect I pump out a lot of cortisol in response to fasting. I'd probably have to make my one meal be dinner so I could sleep.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-16, 10:21
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:

Nancy,
I forgot to mention the aloe vera juice protocol takes about 3 months to heal your gut.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 21:30
Experimenter

BF:

Oh man... I had them do a fecal fat analysis and it indicates I have severe malabsorption.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-16, 22:30

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:

Did they give you a cause of the malabsorption?
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-16, 07:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
But this also means Quest bars gotta go. They've got corn fiber or something like that in them. .....

Giving up sugar free mints and gum.

When I gave up gluten I went through a 3-4 month healing process I could feel. This kind of glowy/happy feeling through my entire digestive tract.

Once my gut was healed, any of the items listed here would create a bad reaction. I became very fiber sensitive; a normal portion of cooked vegetables, okay, but raw ones except lettuce would be troublesome. One flax cracker, likewise.

And yes, NSAIDS increase permeability all on their own.

As I understand it, once you have healed, you could tolerate foods which give you trouble now, so it's probably a short-term, intense, thing.

Also, I do collagen tea: I like this one because it dissolves so well:

http://www.iherb.com/Great-Lakes-Ge...-oz-454-g/52774

which is a complete protein which is very healing. Add some fat (I like coconut oil) to that tea and you have a healthy small meal which should not disturb your system much.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 12:59
Experimenter

BF:

Well, malabsorption can be caused by celiac disease, which it is possible I have, although I'm diagnosed only as gluten intolerant. However, I really avoid gluten pretty strictly. But because of my leaky gut, I'm intolerant to a whole slew of things now. Just about everything I've ever eaten regularly. So it is possible that is the cause.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-16, 14:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Well, malabsorption can be caused by celiac disease, which it is possible I have, although I'm diagnosed only as gluten intolerant. However, I really avoid gluten pretty strictly. But because of my leaky gut, I'm intolerant to a whole slew of things now. Just about everything I've ever eaten regularly. So it is possible that is the cause.

If you were celiac, how would that change things for you?