Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 11:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
I know she won't go for any of the tofu/quinoa/green smoothie/kale type foods
Bleah. I wouldn't either. Just my humble opinion.

Check out the Diabetes thread on this Forum Here. A newer (LC friendly) cookbook might be available.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 11:41

Plan: None
Stats: 132/132/132 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Janet,
Thank you for all the info... am checking these out now.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 12:23

Plan: None
Stats: 132/132/132 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

LOL! I'm not too keen on that kind of stuff either, although I'd certainly try it. And I'm sure at least a few of the oddball things would start to show up regularly in my menus.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 14:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The simpliest, only 18 minute TedxTalk explaining insulin resistance, diabetes and obesity is a new one by Dr. Sarah Hallberg.
Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1...eature=youtu.be

It has had over a 625,000 views in 10 months because her explanation is so clear and concise. Also her 15 minute How To Start LCHF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4D...eature=youtu.be is helpful. Much more on FitterU.com

Her five simple rules are: 1. Eat REAL FOOD 2. Don’t drink your calories 3. Eat only when you are hungry 4. If it says light, low fat or fat-free, it stays in the grocery store. 5. No GPS: No grains, sugar or potatoes. (this still gives her fruits, she doesn't have to ADD fats, only not buy the fake, processed "light" versions, a basic diet version for people already at a good weight)

For more details, a website with many resources and links to short videos and articles on a wide range of diabetes and health topics is by a Low Carb RN and Diabetes Educator. https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com . Also http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 15:21

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

My mother is nearly 90 and lives with my sister, but I do all the cooking when I am there; my father died at 87.7 of congestive heart failure. Mom has arthritis and vascular problems that resulted in losing half a leg, so she is in a wheelchair. Luckily that means she cannot easily see what we are preparing.

My sister is a South Beacher and I am LCHF, trying to not end up like our parents. We cook normal-looking foods, mashing or putting cauliflower or turnip in stew/soup that looks like potato but isn't. I add cream or butter to things. We do make Mom's preferred breakfast, oatmeal, but use whole, not her usual skimmed milk. And occasionally she gets half a full-fat Klondike bar if she wants a treat for desert, or a bit more fruit than I would eat. She had been losing weight due to ill-fitting dentures and pneumonia, but with fixed dentures and care is now back to normal with ~10 extra pounds in reserve. At 5'4" and 132 lbs, your mother sounds about right; I wouldn't worry unless she starts heading below 120. As other have mentioned, she may have just lost some water/inflammation with the food change.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Mar-25-16 at 15:32.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-16, 05:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Jean, re-read your last post. Was mom on the warfarin or any drug before the stroke at Thanksgiving, or did the doctor just give her all three meds at once? A friend was put on it for afib, but could not tolerate it all, awful side effects, and with the diet restrictions and repeated blood tests...he was finally given an alternative. The beta-blocker and warfarin both can cause extreme fatigue (look on drugs.com or Mayo for reliable drug info). If these are all new drugs, don't discount she may be reacting to them and it is not all diet. Consider a talk with her doctor about what exactly is her "heart problem" and what meds make sense for a woman her age.

I think organic is way down the list of importance, or as RobbWolf says, if you can't find or afford organic and grass-fed, that does not mean you buy bagels instead. Just. Eat. Real. Food. If she buys into the oatmeal is good for your heart, don't use instant but the least processed stone ground or steel cut oats you can find. Take her BG after, then maybe compare it to eggs one day. A "Mediterranean " style diet gets lots of support now for heart disease, a Top UK cardiologist http://doctoraseem.com/the-truth-about-fat-and-sugar/ and from the Cleveland Clinic: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/...ults-troubling/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Mar-26-16 at 05:52.