Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 11:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Low Potassium and Edema

The active ingredients in apple cider vinegar include potassium, pectin, malic acid, calcium, acetic acid and ash.

Pectin is useful for reducing LDL cholesterol and blood pressure; calcium is needed for strengthening bones and preventing osteoporosis; and malic acid is responsible for the antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties of apple cider vinegar.

Acetic acid lowers carbohydrate metabolism and is useful in the treatment of diabetes; and ash is responsible for the alkaline property of apple cider vinegar even though there are a number of organic acids also present in the vinegar.

Potassium, on the other hand, is the chief reason apple cider vinegar is useful in the treatment of edema. Studies have shown that one of the serious symptoms of potassium deficiency is edema.

When the potassium levels in the body are low, the cells tend to fill with water which is the cause of swelling in different parts of the body. This is because potassium ion (together with sodium and chloride ions) is responsible for the cellular pumps in the body.

Together, these minerals regulate what goes into the cells and what comes out. When potassium levels fall in the body, there is not enough pressure generated to counterbalance the effects of other ions driving water into the cells. Therefore, there is a net fluid inflow and thus edema.

When this occurs to the brain cells, it can lead to persistent headaches and even cerebral edema.

Potassium deficiency is also implicated in rapid weight gain in people with thyroid disease. In such cases, the weight gain has been shown to be due to fluid retention and not fat deposition.

The importance of potassium to edema management is the reason why the mineral is given as supplements in edema patients receiving loop diuretics and thiazides.

Thiazides and loop diuretics are two classes of diuretics used in the treatment of edema. However, unlike potassium-sparing diuretics, they cause the loss of potassium from the body alongside sodium and fluid.

Apple cider vinegar can replenish the potassium levels in the body and reverse fluid retention in edema patients.

Read more:
http://www.progressivehealth.com/ed...der-vinegar.htm

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sat, Feb-27-16 at 20:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 18:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Ah, the old "apple cider vinegar is a rich source of potassium" myth ... According to USDA, one Tablespoon/15 ml cider vinegar has only 11mg potassium (link). Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar also has only 11mg potassium per Tbsp (link). Even if you swig down a whole cupful, that's still only 176mg.

Let's compare that to some other lowcarb foods (note* 100g = approx. 3½ oz) ..
1/4 tsp salt substitute ... 650mg
100g salmon ... 628mg
100g halibut ... 576mg
.. in fact all fish are high in potassium (and decent amount of magnesium too)
100g spinach ... 558mg
100g pork loin ... 450mg
1/2 small avocado .... 439mg
100g beef sirloin ... 400mg
100g broccoli ... 316g
100g turkey ... 290mg
100g chicken ... 260mg
2 Tbsp peanut butter ... 238mg
1/2 cup plain full-fat yogurt ... 190mg
1 Tbsp tomato paste ... 167mg
2 large eggs .. 134mg
1/2 cup green peppers ... 130mg
1 cup/8 oz coffee ... 116mg
1 cup/8 oz tea ... 88mg

Also, the article linked in the OP states the following:
Quote:
Apple cider vinegar can potentially interact with certain supplements or drugs, including diuretics and insulin. Consuming large amounts of apple cider vinegar might decrease the potassium level in the body.

Here's the published reference: Hypokalemia, Hyperreninemia and Osteoporosis in a Patient Ingesting Large Amounts of Cider Vinegar (hypokalemia = low potassium)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That being said, I do love apple cider vinegar and use it often. I just don't rely on it as a source of potassium ... or any other nutrient, for that matter
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 18:43

BF:

My aim wasn't really to push drinking vinegar but mostly to point out the need for potassium and what a deficiency can do to us.

I consume almost everything on that list with the exception of the salt substitute, peanut butter and yoghurt and I still have to supplement..(see other thread)http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=472173&page=2

I read and understood what I could on page one but page two wasn't there.
Obviously it isn't a good idea to drink loads of vinegar.

But it's the great need for potassium on this WOE that has personally effected me.

If I was reading your link correctly Doreen, too much vinegar turns the body
acidic and in order to balance that, the body takes calcium from the bones.
I posted an excerpt about that happening, just 2 weeks ago, citing a chapter called Bone Breaker from Wm. Davis's book called Loose the Weight Loose the Weight aka Wheat Belly.
(I was told that was a myth too)
see link below:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471182

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sat, Feb-27-16 at 21:11.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-16, 19:36

BF:

This is what I found on daily requirements for potassium.
It lists 4,700mg.
Is that correct?

http://www.answers.com/Q/Daily_potassium_requirement
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 05:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yes, that is correct. I am now reading Dr Lowdog's new book, Fortify Your Life. Yet because of the risk of getting too much potassium is high, and causes other problems, that she does not recommend any supplements at all for potassium. I am confused by this, because her long list of good foods, mostly vegetables, are ones I limit. Add that to the naturally diuretic nature of LC, I had begun to think I should supplement (I only just started taking 99mg X 2 because 4700 mg is stretch for me). Color me

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Mar-18-16 at 05:42.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 05:38

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Yes, that is correct. I am now reading Dr Lowdog's new book, Fortify Your Life. Yet because of the risk of getting too much potassium is high, that she does not recommend any supplements at all for potassium. I am confused by this, because her long list of good foods, mostly vegetables, are ones I limit. Add that to the naturally diuretic nature of LC, I had begun to think I should supplement (I only just started taking 99mg X 2 because 4700 mg is stretch for me)

I supplement potassium because there is no way I can get enough from food. I take 6x99mg per day. I started doing this after I read something Dr Eades wrote that indicated this would not be too much. I will try to find that reference. I have been doing this for a number of years without any bad results. Adding potassium to my magnesium supplementation along with bone broth stopped my leg cramps. Works for me.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 05:43

BF:

The Dr Eades reference was from his restarting low carb post II:

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...low-carb-pt-ii/

"You can replace your potassium by taking potassium supplements. In our clinical practice, we gave all patients starting the low-carb diet a prescription for potassium. You can get the same dosage by taking four to five of the over-the-counter 99 mg potassium supplements you can purchase at any health food or natural grocery store."

I didn't realize until recently that my 4 cups of coffee a day was helping with my potassium intake along with some b vitamins. Nobody ever seems to mention this.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 11:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Coffee also contains magnesium, which is why I don't worry about my 2 cups a day.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 12:43

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I think the problem with potassium supplementation comes mainly when kidneys are compromised. Well functioning kidneys *should* excrete electrolytes that are in excess of the delicate balance that keeps us functioning properly. If kidneys are not working optimally, they may not be able to maintain the balance.

My mother was on diuretics and had failing kidneys at the end of her life. She was hospitalized for excess potassium (heart palpitations being a symptom) more than once. Unless treated, it can cause cardiac arrest (which to me is a little more dire than muscle cramps).

I still go by Phinney and Volek's recommendation to rely on salt to maintain the balance of other electrolytes. I've never tracked how much potassium I take in daily, though I eat lots of meat (a very good source of potassium), 1/2 avocado and other vegetables daily. I've never had any symptoms of potassium deficiency either.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 14:54

BF:

Liz - I used to supplement with magnesium only for muscle cramps but when that wasn't working I added the potassium and things got better. Chronometer which I use to track my food also gives me info on nutrient intake. My diet seems sufficient for most nutrients but potassium is always significantly below the RDA so I supplement. It's possible that this is not necessary. I've tried to research this question but haven't found any answers. I wonder if there is so much emphasis on vegetables as the best source for micronutrients that meat gets short shrift and its nutrient value is under estimated. To me it seems like a guessing game. Cardiac arrest certainly is more dire than muscle cramps but potassium supplements are so strictly regulated that the 6 a day I take is still only 18% of the RDA. Plus, although muscle cramps won't kill you, being awakened in the middle of the night in excruciating pain is no fun so if there is a safe way for me to prevent that I'm all for it. Still, it's always a crap shoot.

Jean
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 16:43

Jean, I think that you are right that potassium supplements of 99g are unlikely to cause cardiac arrest, but I'm also sure that the reason why OTC potassium is such a low dose is because of the possible danger.

I think as long as one's kidneys are functioning well there is probably no danger, as any excess would be excreted. I think the problem would be if you had undiagnosed kidney disease and were popping the supplements. Extra potassium could build up in the blood causing serious problems.

My husband takes diuretics for HBP and used to wake up with excruciating cramps. They are definitely real and definitely painful. He began adding salt to his diet, nothing else, per Phinney and Volek. I can't remember the last time he had cramps - certainly not in the past 5 years.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 17:44

BF:

Liz - I don't know what the answer is. I've been having bone broth every day for about a decade, so I've been getting plenty of salt but I still got cramps. Then I added magnesium. Cramps diminished but not gone. Then I added potassium and all is good. That's the story I tell myself. Of course during this time I was dealing with serious digestive issues that were probably effecting my ability to absorb nutrients, so maybe I needed more supplementation than most people. Perhaps it's time to see how I do without the supplements. I'm a pretty savvy consumer and not known for taking risks. I feel pretty safe with what I am doing. I can understand how you would tend to be more cautious with potassium given your mother's experience. There is just so much about nutrition, diet and supplementation that we don't know. We each just have to do the best we can. I would never say that this is what everyone should do, only that it's what I do and it works for me.

Jean
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
There is just so much about nutrition, diet and supplementation that we don't know. We each just have to do the best we can. I would never say that this is what everyone should do, only that it's what I do and it works for me.

Jean

I agree with you here and would add that everyone is different.

I hope you didn't think I was saying that YOU shouldn't take potassium. What I was saying is that I don't think potassium supplementation should be a blanket recommendation for *everyone* because there can be risks for some people.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-16, 19:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I was sorting through my books today, one is Let's Eat to Be Healthy by Adele Davis, years ago some children were poisoned following her advice on potassium.

Quote:
Two-month-old Ryan Pitzer was even less fortunate [5]. According to the suit filed by his parents, Ryan was killed in 1978 by the administration of potassium chloride for colic as suggested in the same book. The suit was settled out of court for a total of $160,000—$25,000 from the publisher, $75,000 from Davis's estate, and $60,000 from the potassium product's manufacturer. After the suit was filed, the book was recalled from bookstores, but it was reissued after changes were made by a physician allied with the health-food industry.

Davis's recommendation of potassium for colic was based on misinterpretation of a 1956 article in Nutrition Reviews about potassium metabolism in gastroenteritis [6]. The article referred to a previous study of 653 hospitalized infants which found that the incidence of abdominal bloating and intestinal paralysis were higher among 67 who had low levels of potassium. The article noted that although potassium might improve these symptoms, giving it to a dehydrated infant could cause cardiac arrest [7]. (This is what killed Ryan Pitzer.) The article had nothing whatsoever to do with colic and did not state that "most babies needed 3,000 milligrams of potassium chloride" to recover. The dosage was 1,000 to 2,000 milligrams administered over a 24-hour period, not all at once. The "immediate and dramatic improvement" to which Davis referred was in one infant (not 653) and took about a week. The potassium loss was caused by persistent vomiting and diarrhea, not "too much sodium."

http://www.quackwatch.com/04Consume...tion/davis.html
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-16, 04:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I agree with you here and would add that everyone is different.

I hope you didn't think I was saying that YOU shouldn't take potassium. What I was saying is that I don't think potassium supplementation should be a blanket recommendation for *everyone* because there can be risks for some people.

I wasn't sure, Liz, so I thought I would clarify my position. Seems we're on the same page.

Jean