Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 06:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Adding answer to a question about the new ADAPT booklet posted in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Janet, When did Westman start calling it the "Adapt" program? Is the new pamphlet on amazon the same as the old blue "A low carbohydrate, ketogenic diet manual No Sugar, No Starch Diet" I got in 2013?

As I understand it, he was approached by some South African investors to be the medical director of their venture to develop very healthy, no junk, LC bars. LCHF/Banting is huge there. After much formulation development they are now available on-line for purchase and quite good, IF you need more fat.
I do not know the reason why he withdrew the blue book (that one was merely a shipping convience for doctors he trained at ASBP, a few pennies profit) and this new version is a new marketing tool for the company, probably not to cause confusion.

The Adapt website and FB page has many good FAQs videos. https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourLife/?fref=ts (up to #16 now)

His answer about MACROS is very clear that the 75% fat is to include what is coming from "your on-board pantry"..you do not EAT 75% if you need to lose weight. So everything in the program and book is exactly the same EXCEPT there IS one small change in the Adapt booklet that has some people going nuts. It is the addition of a limit on fats: "OILS: 2 tablespoonfuls a day. Includes: Butter, Coconut Oil, Peanut Oil, Palm Oil. Avoid Seed oils"

The addition is explained by one of the SA management: "What Dr Westman is saying is that if you are having difficulty in bringing down your body fat, limiting certain fats will enable your body to burn more adipose fat for energy (body fat) as apposed to dietary fat. Most people think they can consume copious amounts of fat and be unaffected, this is not the case with some people".

"What fats?: Mostly all fats, most people believe that being on a LCHF program means piling on the fats, this, we believe is not correct, whilst you shouldn't obsess with limiting fats, so too, should you not obsess with adding fat. Including healthy fats are great, just don't TRY to over-consume."

He has never been a fan of BPC for his clinic clients. And many people are scarfing down the fat bombs too...great if you are an endurance athlete, not so much if you are 50 pounds overweight and not exercising.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 09:31

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I'm watching that video now. I always feel badly for the people who drew the bad diet. I feel that way any time I read about a randomized study for anything. I laugh at the ones they say prove that prayer for sick people works. I imagine the researchers telling people not to pray for someone, for the sake of comparison. What a sad thing for them.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 10:02

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

His answer about MACROS is very clear that the 75% fat is to include what is coming from "your on-board pantry"..you do not EAT 75% if you need to lose weight. So everything in the program and book is exactly the same EXCEPT there IS one small change in the Adapt booklet that has some people going nuts. It is the addition of a limit on fats: "OILS: 2 tablespoonfuls a day. Includes: Butter, Coconut Oil, Peanut Oil, Palm Oil. Avoid Seed oils"

The addition is explained by one of the SA management: "What Dr Westman is saying is that if you are having difficulty in bringing down your body fat, limiting certain fats will enable your body to burn more adipose fat for energy (body fat) as apposed to dietary fat. Most people think they can consume copious amounts of fat and be unaffected, this is not the case with some people".

"What fats?: Mostly all fats, most people believe that being on a LCHF program means piling on the fats, this, we believe is not correct, whilst you shouldn't obsess with limiting fats, so too, should you not obsess with adding fat. Including healthy fats are great, just don't TRY to over-consume."

Janet thanks for that update. It makes so much sense.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 12:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
"What Dr Westman is saying is that if you are having difficulty in bringing down your body fat, limiting certain fats will enable your body to burn more adipose fat for energy (body fat) as apposed to dietary fat. Most people think they can consume copious amounts of fat and be unaffected, this is not the case with some people".

He has never been a fan of BPC for his clinic clients. And many people are scarfing down the fat bombs too...great if you are an endurance athlete, not so much if you are 50 pounds overweight and not exercising.

When I visited him a over a year ago this was exactly his advice.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 13:06

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

You've been to Dr. Westman's live group, right? Do you know Lynne, from the interview?
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 04:34

Yes, I still go to the monthly meetings, though not every month, to hear the latest from Dr. Westman, ask him questions. I've known Lynne for five years, she is such a lovely person, has been running that support group all these years in addition to her demanding job. Also know Janet Huffstetler who reversed her diabetes with his diet. http://www1.cbn.com/video/dump-suga...d-cure-diabetes The meeting is shown on Periscope now, so anyone, anywhere can "attend".

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Mar-13-16 at 10:51.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 09:18

Plan: LCHF and OMAD
Stats: 298.4/187.6/145 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
DogDay. PM me your email.

Anyone can buy the diet as used in his Clinic for $5 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carbohydr...k/dp/B00D3MSJQ4
He published this for the many doctors who took his ASBP class and now use this booklet in their obesity clinics. Currently FREE with Kindle Unlimited.

Hey Janet, I want to thank you for this link. Being from Western Canada, I can't access Dr. Westman's clinic, but now I have bought his diet. Big hugs for all you to for the community.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 11:01

Happy to help At the moment, in the US, on Amazon, the new Adapt booklet is only in paperback, not Kindle, and the original Blue cover is still on Kindle for $5, not printed in PB. I understand that the only difference inside the cover is that one line about oils. And both of these are very similar to the plan in the back of Why We Get Fat, a book likely found in a library.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 21:24

BF:

Quote:
The Adapt website and FB page has many good FAQs videos. https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourLife/?fref=ts (up to #16 now)

Janet, I may be a little slow, but can you tell me how I am suppose to know how much of my "on-board pantry" I am using. I know that sounds really dumb, but for example here is what I ate today and I feel satisfied. So I don't feel like I under ate:

Calories: 1145.4
Fat: 79.7
Protein: 91.9
Carbs: 12.9
Fibre: 2.6

I use total carbs not net, so my macros are:

Fat: 63%
Protein: 32%
Carbs: 5%

So where does the "on board pantry" % come in? I feel like an idiot for asking.

Once again, thanks for sharing your wisdom.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 22:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Maybe what is meant is to eat more food and less fat.

I eat Atkins and only count carbs. The fat just comes along for the ride in prep and in the meat, I don't force extra to get to a percentage.
Maybe Westman doesn't want you adding fat as in drinking BP coffee but to have fat in eaten food.
Now what percentage to eat, is your question and a good one it is.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sun, Mar-13-16 at 22:33.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 05:05

No problem Leslie, the macro question is asked all the time....
He has no idea how much fat is coming from your on-board pantry; why his program in the clinic booklet has no macros to set. Other places on the Internet have Keto-Calculators, blah, blah, and they make a decent guideline, but he only knows you have lost fat if you come back in a month and the scale (that breaks out fat, water, lean, etc) shows it. Watch his intro class, or the mock-class version on DietDoctor...he does not talk about macros.

But you, on daily basis, have figured it out already. The answer is:
I feel satisfied. So I don't feel like I under ate:

Because you are still losing fat your macros look perfect, protein was likely not that high in real percentage terms, and fat was higher, because there was some fat coming from your body.

To be sure a client is in ketosis, the macro to watch is carbs under 20 g, and if you follow the instructions with 2T cream, 3c veg, etc...you Don't even have do that. Within the allowed food list, you eat reasonable portions of protein, and only add fat until you are satisfied. Last night I had some fats in Caulifower mash, and added a pat of butter to fresh asparagus. Satisfied, not stuffed, not hungry so no need to "top up my fats" with a cheesecake fat bomb.

In the support group, he has talked about " hara hachi bu" used in Japan. It means, eat until you are 80 percent full. Get most of your fats WITH your foods, like eggs and meat, and then eat until satisfied.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Mar-14-16 at 06:08.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 05:26

BF:

Thanks so much Janet. Now that makes sense. I have been up all night worrying about my stupid macros and came to a decision which I am going to post on a separate thread.
Big Hugs.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-16, 18:28

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

So do we count the mayo or salad dressing as part of the 2 allowed tablespoons of oils?
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 04:35

That's a good question!! I will ask sometime but think not. My impression is that added line is somewhat pointed reference to those adding Butter and CO to their coffee. Particularly the CO, with MTCs, is burned preferentially and interferes with burning your own fat. Dave Asprey is not a doctor nor clinical researcher. BPC is good for energy, but when overweight, having 4T fat to start your day is not helping weight loss.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Mar-16-16 at 05:38.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 05:38

Speaking before the new Low Carb "Revolution" support group in Shepherdstown, WV, which is only about 1 1/2 hours from DC.

Article and contact here if interested: http://www.shepherdstownchronicle.c...n.html?nav=5089