Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 13:18

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Dr. Westman's diet

I found this link explaining Dr. Westman's diet but it doesn't mention dairy and I think it does include dairy:

http://kediet.com/blog/7-steps-to-h...ow-carb-living/

It does include more veggies than I'm eating right now but wondering if it's healthier.

Does anyone know if there is a link to his complete diet here on the forum?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 10:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

I went to the site and it sounds like he ripped off the Atkins diet in it's entirety-didn't see anything new there.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 10:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchesu
I went to the site and it sounds like he ripped off the Atkins diet in it's entirety-didn't see anything new there.

He didn't rip off Atkins. He visited Atkins in his NY clinic and learned from him. He designed the first scientific study that demonstrated the superiority of the low carb approach. He always credits Atkins as his mentor. He is a practicing physician who has helped and continues to help many diabetic and obese patients achieve success through lchf eating.

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 10:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

DogDay. PM me your email.

Anyone can buy the diet as used in his Clinic for $5 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carbohydr...k/dp/B00D3MSJQ4
He published this for the many doctors who took his ASBP class and now use this booklet in their obesity clinics. Currently FREE with Kindle Unlimited.

Comanchesu, ReRead the section in WWGF that explains the history of the relationship that began around 1999 between the two doctors, the clinical trials done by Dr Westman that finally offered scientific evidence on the safety and efficacy of LC. The whole point was to use Dr Atkins's diet with strict rules to standardize clinical trial instructions. You could also claim Dr Atkins "ripped off" the Banting, Air Force Diets and Dr Alfred Pennington's DuPont Diet, which he did and credited.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Dec-31-15 at 11:48.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 05:10

I just noticed Renee's amazing success story, she lost 97 pounds in one year and regained her health following Dr Westman's Diet.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...002#post9078002

Lynne, with red hair, is another inspiration in Dr Eenfeldt's success videos.
New success video for the Challenge here: http://www.dietdoctor.com/happy-new-low-carb-year And the previous interview.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/member/interviews/lynneivey

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-01-16 at 05:16.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 06:11

BF:

Dr Atkins did much good in this world, for which he was and still is often vilified. Dr Westman, along with others, continues this beneficial work. As this new year begins I am grateful for the efforts of both these doctors and other brave professionals who continue to promote this healthy way of living despite all the criticism. We can witness the results of their activity here on the forum. For me it is not for the sake of some beauty ideal but for the sake of being able to lead a healthy and productive life rather than one ruled by pain and sickness.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 11:57

Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
He didn't rip off Atkins. He visited Atkins in his NY clinic and learned from him. He designed the first scientific study that demonstrated the superiority of the low carb approach. He always credits Atkins as his mentor. He is a practicing physician who has helped and continues to help many diabetic and obese patients achieve success through lchf eating.

Jean

Perhaps I misunderstood his website then, I didn't see any mention of Dr. Atkins and it looked like he was presenting his own diet.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 12:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
This site is Dr. Di Pietro's, not Westman's. Westman is on the board, but lives three states away and seems to view DiPietro's "kediet" as just a supervised 10-day jumpstart to LC living - see http://kediet.com/blog/introducing-...visory-board-2/

Since dairy is inflammatory for many, Di Pietro probably excludes it to maximize weight loss.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Jan-01-16 at 12:34.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 12:31

BF:

This is taken from an interview with Dr Westman:

"About 1998, I was a young internist in the Durham VA veteran’s medical center, and I was in a research-training program, clinical research, so I’m learning clinical methods and how to do statistics, and two of my patients came having lost of a lot of weight. I guess I was a unique internist in terms of being interested in prevention. I’m finding that’s often not the case. But being prevention minded, I thought this is great. I asked them how they did it.

They said they read this little book, the Atkins Book.

I said immediately, I’m going to send you to the lab because I know your cholesterol has gone up. This is how I was trained. This is where most clinicians are today, including dieticians, physicians and nutritionists. They’re going to assume the cholesterol is going up.

I had the chance to check the cholesterol, and in two cases, two in a row, their cholesterol went down. There was a weight loss and a favorable change in cholesterol. So I got curious. So I went to a bookstore and saw many books about low-carb diets. That Atkins one stood out, since it was the ones my patients had brought in. Looking at that, I learned there was actually a clinic in operation. So I contacted Dr. Atkins, and he invited me and my staff to his clinic in New York, in 1999, and the clinic worked. The diet, I saw it in action. People were losing weight, I saw their labs; I looked over the shoulder of one of the nurses, saw the charts and talked to people. I was really amazing to see it working. And yet what I had heard was that it couldn’t work and it was unhealthy.

We asked Dr. Atkins to fund a study back at Duke University, and he did. It was a very small study, and it was positive, and we went back and said you need to fund a study that can demonstrate the first one can be replicated, and it needs to be more randomized and larger, to reduce bias in the study, and he said sure, and funded another study. At that time, Gary Foster at Penn was doing a similar study funded by the National Institutes of Health. That study, our study, and many, many others now have come out in favor of the low carb diet.

You know, the Atkins diet came out of clinical care, what he was doing in the 70s in his own clinic. The science took a long time to catch up. I think because of the fear of fat in the diet, scientists were afraid of studying this method as well."

Jean
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 12:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I don't see anything about Dr. Atkins either and it looks like another doctor is selling the "concept" of Westerman but I do see what looks like my basic DANDR Atkins 2002 diet.
That's why I bought an Atkins book in the beginning.
So many of these internet diets are only there to sell "plans" and subscriptions club.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 13:20

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Dr Atkins did much good in this world, for which he was and still is often vilified. Dr Westman, along with others, continues this beneficial work. As this new year begins I am grateful for the efforts of both these doctors and other brave professionals who continue to promote this healthy way of living despite all the criticism. We can witness the results of their activity here on the forum. For me it is not for the sake of some beauty ideal but for the sake of being able to lead a healthy and productive life rather than one ruled by pain and sickness.

I am forever indebted to Dr. Atkins for his persistence in promoting low-carbohydrate as a healthy approach to weight management in spite of actual persecution. In my paperback edition of the 1972 Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, there is a reprint of Dr. Atkins's testimony before a congressional "select committee on nutrition" appointed to hold him accountable for promoting a diet that his critics in the medical profession insisted was the work of a charlatan, a quack, and a danger to society.

At the same time, federal nutrition authorities were promoting the use of hydrogenated vegetable oils that turned out to be truly deadly.

Dr. Atkins never claimed to have "invented" the low-carb diet. The fact that he got famous and rich promoting his personal and clinical experience was a credit to his professional integrity--not to mention his considerable chutzpah. Dr. Westman has taken the Atkins approach to the next level of scientific and clinical investigation in his own way, like many other physicians and clinicians throughout the world.

You don't have to buy anything but groceries to find a low-carb plan and use it.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-01-16, 23:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:

You don't have to buy anything but groceries to find a low-carb plan and use it.

Isn't that the truth!!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 12:39

DietDoctor just posted Dr Westman's one hour presentation in South Africa. Titled "How to do a LCFH Diet" it is based on the weekly class he gives to everyone entering the clinic, after he has had a medical appointment with you for health history and blood work.
This presentation "role plays" to teach other doctors how he runs that class, so there are interesting "time-out" where he may explain the background. also in the beginning he explains how he created the clinic plan from following what was used in Dr Atkins clinic, and some of the amazing results of decreasing diabetic medications. It is on DietDoctor's membership, which you can join free for a one month, time to watch Dr Westman's other video course on LC and all the great content added to this site in less than one year.
The best video quality explanation (compared to some poorly lighted and campy hand-held you tubes) of this diet.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/member/pr...tions/westman-2
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 16:56

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I agree with the responses above and I'd like this chance to make a small point...

"Ripping off" ideas leads to innovation. I'm a big fan of innovation and progress. "Taking" someone else's idea and improving it is great and I wish we had more of that.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 18:13

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I'm glad we have Dr Westman to "carry on the torch" since Dr Atkins' premature departure. As Janet notes, Dr Westman learned directly from Dr Atkins in Atkins' clinic. He has a more nuanced style than Dr Atkins, often an asset when trying to promote a generally unpopular idea. I've learned things from him not covered in Atkins' books - he did a great interview with Jimmy Moore on Ask the Low Carb Experts several years back. It's definitely worth a listen.