Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 06:03

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Leaky gut as an oral insulin delivery method

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...51118180538.htm

Quote:
An insulin pill being developed by researchers at UC Santa Barbara may in the near future give another blood sugar management option to those who suffer from diabetes. The novel drug delivery technology may also apply to a wide spectrum of other therapies.

"With diabetes, there's a tremendous need for oral delivery," said Samir Mitragotri, a professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering who specializes in targeted drug delivery. "People take insulin several times a day and delivery by needles is a big challenge."

According to the Centers for Disease Control's 2014 estimates, more than 29 million individuals in the U.S. have undiagnosed or diagnosed diabetes. Many of these people would require regular insulin shots. For those who don't like needles, the discomfort injections can pose is a huge barrier to compliance, said Amrita Banerjee, a postdoctoral researcher in the Mitragotri Lab. "It can lead to mismanagement of treatment and complications that lead to hospitalization," she said.

A pill, said the researchers, could circumvent the discomfort associated with the needle while potentially providing a more effective dose.

"When you deliver insulin by injection, it goes first through the peripheral bloodstream and then to blood circulation in the liver," Mitragotri explained. Oral delivery would take a more direct route, he added, and, from a physiological point of view, a better one.

While oral medications to assist the body with insulin production have been around for a while, a pill that delivers insulin remains a highly sought goal of diabetes medicine. The main obstacle to its development has been getting the medication past the hostile proteolytic environment of the stomach and intestine without destroying the protein itself. In this case, the key is a combination of enteric-coated capsules and insulin-loaded mucoadhesive polymer patches that were optimized by Banerjee as part of her research. The new pill has demonstrated its ability to survive stomach acids with the protection of the enteric-coated capsule and deliver its payload to the small intestine. There, the capsule opens up to release the patches that adhere to the intestinal wall, preventing access of proteolytic enzymes to insulin and, with the aid of a permeation enhancer, depositing insulin that can pass through to the blood.

"This is the first essential step in showing that these patches can deliver insulin," Mitragotri said. Like any other novel therapy, however, it must undergo additional stages of testing and improvement before it can be considered as a viable treatment for diabetes. Results of this research were presented in October at the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists' annual meeting and exposition in Orlando, Florida.

According to the researchers, the drug-loaded mucoadhesive patches show early promise for other forms of therapy, as well.

"We can deliver many proteins that are currently injected," Mitragotri said. Other protein-based therapies such as growth hormones, antibodies and vaccines could potentially be put into patch form for painless delivery and improved patient compliance, he added

On the upside--other than the method of delivery--intentionally compromising the gut barrier--this method has the potential to be closer to physiological insulin than injection is, since the liver would get the first chance at clearing insulin that it normally does when insulin comes from the pancreas.

I also wonder what this method of delivery does, if anything, to the probability of an immune response to the insulin being delivered.

Gastroparesis (compromised stomach emptying) would be an obvious issue, and even in people without this issue, I wonder how predictable the rate and timing of insulin delivery would be.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 08:37

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I saw an ad the other day for nasal insulin. It was in a regular magazine and looked legit. Is that a real thing?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 08:56

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
29 million individuals in the U.S. have undiagnosed or diagnosed diabetes. Many of these people would require regular insulin shots.

Yes, the term "many" here should be quantified as between 5% and 10% of the total, since that's the number of people with diabetes type 1, so up to 2.9 million. Diabetes type 2 does not require insulin shots or otherwise since a primary feature of the disease is hyperinsulinemia. It seems the article was written purposely to make the "discovery" appear 10x bigger than it really is. Nevertheless, it's an important development, there's many drugs that don't make it through the gut intact, if at all, hence the injections and topical applications.

I wonder what "permeation enhancer" refers to. Gluten? That's a pretty good one.
Quote:
Oral delivery would take a more direct route, he added, and, from a physiological point of view, a better one.

Considering everything that's been explained so far, that is an unlikely conclusion. First, insulin is destroyed in the stomach, therefore physiologically, we're not adapted to oral insulin. Second, oral insulin delivery requires a "permeation enhancer", something we don't normally eat, therefore physiologically, we're not adapted to oral insulin. Third, insulin would reach the liver from a different route than the liver is used to, i.e. from the gut rather than from peripheral bloodstream. It's unlikely that the liver can handle such a reception equally well, or even that this insulin would be equally active in the liver or even peripherally. There's a similar problem with oral testosterone where when it's ingested, if it makes it to the liver, it's degraded and has no physiological effect besides making the liver work harder than otherwise.

Finally, insulin is a life-long treatment for diabetes type 1. For injection, there's lipohypertrophy at local injection sites from the insulin itself. We'll avoid this with oral insulin, but now we'll have to deal with enteric coating and permeation enhancer effects at equal frequency and duration, i.e. several times per day, every day, life-long. No clue how that's gonna go.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 09:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

For those who develop fatty deposits at injection sites, would this simply manifest itself in the small intestine at the patch adherence site on the intestine wall? Yes, more testing does need to be done to determine whether this could be an issue.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 09:22

BF:

Quote:
Third, insulin would reach the liver from a different route than the liver is used to, i.e. from the gut rather than from peripheral bloodstream.

I have to disagree on this point. The pancreas releases insulin into the portal vein, the liver removes the largest portion (ideally at least). Insulin from the gut would also be absorbed into the portal vein, that's why their saying that this would be more physiological. The bit about the sticky stuff in the gut, and the permeability still makes me nervous. I don't know if it would increase permeability to other substances or not, the patch might provide a sort of barrier itself. But then, what's the aftermath? Does the stick stuff get degraded, is the permeability reverse before this is complete? Who knows?

I've heard about the nasal insulin. The question there is--what will the effect be on the nasal passages and the lungs? Both will be exposed to more insulin than is usual. You could wonder the same about the cells of the gut lining itself, there's liable to be a greater concentration of insulin that those cells are exposed to as well.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 09:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
For those who develop fatty deposits at injection sites, would this simply manifest itself in the small intestine at the patch adherence site on the intestine wall? Yes, more testing does need to be done to determine whether this could be an issue.

And that's in fatty tissue, it's a fairly benign form of hyperplasia. In the gut, I'd think possibility of cancer would be the greater concern.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 09:46

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Yeah, I wasn't too sure how the liver receives stuff from the gut compared to insulin from the pancreas. Thanks for the clarification, Teaser. So I guess that's the only reason it appears to be a better route physiologically. The other stuff just makes it look worse. I'm betting this delivery method will be tried with other shorter-term or lower-frequency drugs first. Peptides could be good candidates, especially GHRH peptides like sermorelin for example, which is currently prescribed as injection once daily for various GH deficiency disorders.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 10:32

BF:

Yeah. Incretin hormones normally secreted by the gut would probably be closest to mimicking nature.