Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 09:30

Plan: LowCarb/Metformin/IF
Stats: 230/190/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Cheerios goes Paleo. Kinda. Not.

Look at This Crap Cheerios Is Trying to Pull

Quote:
General Mills: Original Cheerios does contain 3 grams of protein per serving—and it’s clearly a great cereal choice. Cheerios Protein contains 7 grams of protein per serving – and it does qualify as a good source of high-quality protein under the FDA standard.

MJ: "Turns out, General Mills is playing games with serving sizes on its labels...
"Now, we're talking about a much bigger [than original 28 gram] serving size: 55 grams. This new-and-improved Cheerios iteration delivers 7 grams of protein and 17 grams of sugar at this enlarged serving size.

"To compare the two, I adjusted the original Cheerios numbers to reflect a 55 gram serving...To goose the protein content, General Mills opted to add bite-sized "clusters" made up (see label above) of oats, soy protein, and lentils. So it's true that the protein-enhanced version delivers marginally more protein—7 grams vs. 5.9 grams per 55 gram serving. That's an 18.6 percent difference. That may sound like a lot, but we're talking about just 1.1 grams..."

"On the sugar front, the Cheerios Protein delivers about eight times more"

Plus it costs $0.70 more per box.

Eat more cereal, get much more sugar (plus soy), pay more money, it is a brilliant Win-Win-Win for Big Food!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 09:45

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Wow thats a really good improvement on the profit margin!
Way to go General Mills!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 10:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good point on the profit margin, and I'd really like to understand the true net cost of a box of this crap. I'm thinking mere cents. They are able to do this because they're being enabled by our "health experts" that have now decided that more protein is good regardless of the type of protein. Hey, protein is protein, right? Man, what I'd give right now for some excellent cereal with some dried oats, soy and lentils as a protein source! Now that's living!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 10:34

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My, what a nutritious, healthy, stick-to-your-bones breakfast!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 12:23

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I bet they had to vastly increase the sugar because of the gak factor from the flavor of soy particles.

The guy who wrote "Salt, Sugar, Fat" was talking on NPR about visiting cereal companies and they all said the product tastes just awful with just the base grain. it has to have flavors or something added.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 13:27

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I bet they had to vastly increase the sugar because of the gak factor from the flavor of soy particles.

The guy who wrote "Salt, Sugar, Fat" was talking on NPR about visiting cereal companies and they all said the product tastes just awful with just the base grain. it has to have flavors or something added.

The product tastes like livestock feed which is what it really is.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 14:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

"Please, mom, may I have another bowl of Lentil-O's?"
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 14:57
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

It's funny how common sense tends to depart.

I remember when I was young and became a vegetarian. Thankfully vegan wasn't around then or not heard of. Dairy saved me. As it was I had miserable side effects from living mostly on grains and gained a lot of weight.

Anyway, so dad observes that I am eating nature burger on a bun with french fries and some corn and he says, "This is your diet?"

"It's vegetarian," I tell him with that loftiness only the young and stupid can summon.

"You know this is the food we feed livestock to make them fat, right?" he says, his brow furrowed.

"It's vegetables!" I said, offended. "It's good for you!"

Actually it was tubers, grains, grains, and grains, but what did I know. And dad was right, of course! He had no concern about the social category of food.

Most cereals, approximately as healthy as their box until mostly synthetic vitamins/minerals are added for redemption, taste like the box, too. It does take a lot of sugar to make that palatable. The more sugar, the more palatable. I could have eaten lucky charms marshmallows all on their own. Now they have a cereal that is JUST the marshmallows. This is worse than feeding your kids ACTUAL marshmallows for breakfast, OMG.

PJ
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 16:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The press release link in the article didn't work, here it is:
http://www.cspinet.org/new/201511091.html
Includes the advert with NASCAR driver sending child off to school with alllll that extra protein.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-15, 17:13

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

WOW even CSPI thinks it's bad?
It must be really really bad!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-12-15, 06:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It's a numbers game, not an quality game. How much of that protein is really digested? (Like me, I can't get protein from plants. End of story.) And how much of the vitamins get utilized if it's skim milk? And just how much of those added vitamins are body friendly, anyway?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-15, 20:31
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I remember years ago seeing a bread that had "low fat, low carb, 45 calories per serving" plastered all over the label. Looking at the nutritional info, the serving size was 1/2 slice. When taking the numbers to 1 slice or even 2 for a sandwich, it was same numbers as a regular loaf.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-15, 21:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I love the headline of this article in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...retty-gullible/
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-15, 07:57
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I was always under the impression that we Americans got way more than our fair share of protein compared to the other nutrients daily. SAD daily recommendations used to be 30% protein, 15% or less fat and 55% or more carbs.

I guess we're looking for NON MEAT sources since all meat is apparently soooo bad for us... (said with tongue in cheek of course)!

Last edited by Just Jo : Sun, Nov-15-15 at 08:01. Reason: Option M: More to say of course!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-15, 07:58
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
I love the headline of this article in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...retty-gullible/
That was a great article, thanks for sharing, MS!