Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-15, 15:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

You can go to the online labs, if you want something your doctor won't order for you.

It's out of pocket, but way less expensive than the labs associated with medical clinics.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-15, 09:33

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hi. I had my thyroid checked. It was 1.580 on a scale of 0.270 - 4.200. I suppose that's low normal. I had my vit. D checked and it was 33 on a scale of 20-50.

I have been taking 5,000 IU of vit. D3 for a while now. I have thought of going to 2 gelcaps -- 10,000 IU but I'm not sure. Some say that's ok but you have to watch the vit. D. I'll have to reasearch that.

I have been drinking habiscus tea (not my favorite) 2 times a day. I also have upped my excercise to twice daily (moderate walking and sometimes riding my recumbent trike). I am getting lower readings but not always. This morning it was 141 over 91. It sometimes reads that then sometimes jumps back up to 160 over 100. At least its not constant now.

I still will consider drugs if it stays up at 160 over 100. I'm going to give it at least a month though.

It sure is hard sometimes trying to live healty and drug free. I understand why people just take the drug and go about their business.

Dennis
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-15, 10:14
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
It sure is hard sometimes trying to live healty and drug free. I understand why people just take the drug and go about their business.

I hope that one day there is good data on what is truly a risk factor for those of us that live the low carb lifestyle. Is your BP really too high? Is my super high LDL & total cholesterol putting me at risk for a heart attack? The guidelines for what is healthy come from studies that include lots of people eating a poor & unhealthy diet. I have a sneaking suspicion that the root of most problems is the overconsumption of sugar and refined carbohydrates. Still, it is impossible to know for sure and it does not help when you have concerned doctors writing up prescriptions to try and make you more healthy. It is a tough call to ignore advice from your doctor, but I'm finding I like trusting that my food is good and good for me and that treating a number that that was based on people eating a poor diet makes no sense. IMO, the medications will only attempt to fix something that I do not believe to be broken.

BTW: My BP has crept up a little higher (on average) than it was over the summer. Like you, I'm not sure why and I'm wresting with the idea of weather I should be concerned enough about it to try and change it with diet changes. I'd still prefer that solution over BP meds and getting up 3+ times a night again to relieve myself.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-15, 11:01

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
Hi. I had my thyroid checked. It was 1.580 on a scale of 0.270 - 4.200. I suppose that's low normal. I had my vit. D checked and it was 33 on a scale of 20-50.

I have been taking 5,000 IU of vit. D3 for a while now. I have thought of going to 2 gelcaps -- 10,000 IU but I'm not sure. Some say that's ok but you have to watch the vit. D. I'll have to reasearch that.

I have been drinking habiscus tea (not my favorite) 2 times a day. I also have upped my excercise to twice daily (moderate walking and sometimes riding my recumbent trike). I am getting lower readings but not always. This morning it was 141 over 91. It sometimes reads that then sometimes jumps back up to 160 over 100. At least its not constant now.

I still will consider drugs if it stays up at 160 over 100. I'm going to give it at least a month though.

Dennis

Hey, that sounds like great progress. Have you measured your arm to make sure it fits the cuff? I have seen cuffs made for adults with arm circumferences as low as 12". I kept reading high at home and low at the doctors and I finally figured out that my arm was too big for the cuff. I have pretty skinny arms for my weight and I can only imagine how men would fare since they have bigger arms generally. But getting it down sometimes is great news.

I take 10,000IU of Vitamin D 3 a day and it works well for me. At other times in my life it was too much - it really depends on the individual. I think some people even take more!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-15, 20:11

BF:

Thanks folks. My BP monitor is an Omron wrist monitor, the kind you hold up to your heart. I know arm monitors are more accurate but this one was supposedly rated the best of most wrist monitors. I also have checked against the doctor's office arm monitors and they're pretty close. I hear you about the arms. I always ask if they are using the big cuff when I get mine checked.

I hear what your saying Ken and agree. On blood pressure even Dr. Welch (Overdiagnosed) says there is time when medicine is warrented but I'm not here yet I don't believe. I also agree that its the total package -- I'm taking Co Q10, Fish Oil, avoiding grains and sugar and excercising and my blood sugars are being kept down. That's got to count for something.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Nov-25-15, 21:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

Yes, it DOES have to count for something. And my worry is that there is something else going on when a person is doing an exemplary job of taking care of themselves, and still is posting HBP.

If there is a cause A that's not seen, because the result B, HBP is what is seen, and the person starts taking meds that mask the result, the cause is still there, but being ignored.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-15, 04:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Good improvements, but the Vitamin D is something to consider. I also take 10,000 IU for most of the year, drop to 5K in the summer, and measure my levels twice per year. With 10K and lots of sun, I think my highest level was only 78, more often it is in the 50-70 range.
My doctors want to see it over 50, but less than 100. Dr Davis recommends 60-70.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/...at-elimination/.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Nov-26-15 at 04:22.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-15, 04:37

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I take 8000IU of vitamin D. I get my level tested myself twice a year here:

http://www.grassrootshealth.net

My last results were 75. What is considered in range or optimal varies depending on who you ask but I try to keep my around 70.

Jean
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-15, 09:26

Plan: Modified atkins
Stats: 220/190/170 Male 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

BP is usually associated with weight, heredity and age. It's not a bad thing to take your meds as the doctor prescribes and to try to get your weight down. Keep monitoring your BP as your weight goes down, and your doctor will probably reduce or eliminate your meds. It's a great idea to eliminate or reduce your salt, and caffeine intake.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-15, 10:55

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Yes, it DOES have to count for something. And my worry is that there is something else going on when a person is doing an exemplary job of taking care of themselves, and still is posting HBP.

If there is a cause A that's not seen, because the result B, HBP is what is seen, and the person starts taking meds that mask the result, the cause is still there, but being ignored.

Yes, I think this too.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Nov-26-15, 12:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25421976

Just a thought, but raising your potassium intake through an increase in lower carb veggies would raise your nitrate intake as well, that might plausibly help to lower your blood pressure.

Beet juice is used in the study, but celery is king probably for increasing nitrate intake without bringing up carbs much.

I definitely agree with this train of thought and that's why I have always consumed daily fresh veggies. I also use celery all of the time, cooked and raw because it's also one of the lowest in carbs and the flavor adds so much to any dish I make.

I've always thought that it's just as important to consider what you do eat as compared to what you don't eat.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-15, 10:04

BF:

Interesting about the vit. D testing. According to one site (Mercola) online there are two vit. D tests the 1.25 (OH) D and the 25 (OH) D. According to this site the 25 (OH) D test is the one to have. Of couse I just spent $85 on the other (1.25) test so I hope that one is sufficient. I assume the range is approx. the same (mine was at 30 with a top end of their scale at 50) In the future I'll look into some of the online testing sites.

I do believe I will take 10,000 IU in the winter back off in the summer. Janet or Jean , do you test in the spring and fall -- would that be the best time to check?

My BP seems to be more at 140 over 91 or so now. Sometimes it goes up a little and sometimes a little lower.

Dennis

Last edited by Whited : Fri, Nov-27-15 at 10:15.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-15, 10:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I check in Feb, which is about the "depth" of a NC winter, though mainly because that is also annual check-up with oncologist, one who wants it over 50. I do another with DirectLab in August to be sure that 5K plus tons of sun (daily water aerobics and hanging out by pool) is not too high, but that has not happened, not even close.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-15, 12:45

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I check in June and December, but it's not by design. It just happened to work out near the longest and shortest day of the year. There might be a better way to do it.

Jean
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Nov-27-15, 16:14

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Just chiming in to say I've recently, like the OP, developed super high BP despite LC'ing and doing high-intensity exercise. It was found when I had sedation dentistry and it shot WAY up during the procedure; the next day the top # was over 200 and I went straight to the doctor. In the past couple of years it's been both normal and borderline high.

I'm looking more into potassium as suggested here, 'cause I hate to break my record of not being on any significant meds. At least the BP medicine obliterates my appetite.