Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-15, 08:27
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Dr. Katz wrote a book under a pen name and went around writing glowing reviews of it. http://www.the-sidebar.com/2015/09/...inent-yale.html Not very ethical if you ask me.

Nina responds to critics: http://thebigfatsurprise.com/response-critics/
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-15, 19:30

Plan: LowCarb/Metformin/IF
Stats: 230/190/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
Dr. Katz wrote a book under a pen name and went around writing glowing reviews of it. http://www.the-sidebar.com/2015/09/...inent-yale.html Not very ethical if you ask me.

Yowza! Serious delusions...
ETA: Just the kind of hubris you would expect.

Quote:
I found the writing -- prose that nonetheless managed to hint at epic poetry -- as enthralling as the story was riveting.

Katz reviews Katz (Samhu Iyyam)

Last edited by Cleome : Thu, Oct-01-15 at 20:15.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-15, 12:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just read Nina's response, and it was very direct. The thing that amazes me is how the diet/heart advocates feel so threatened by an opposite and well substantiated view. It's almost as if they just heard the news that the earth is not flat. Usually, hidden agendas abound in this space beyond the simple pursuit of good health!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-15, 12:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Fung's response may be even more direct.
[I]The Proof is in the pudding, or...more turds in the punch bowl"

https://intensivedietarymanagement....-the-punchbowl/
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-15, 13:20
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

That was good. Thanks for the link, Janet!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-15, 17:05
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

The more I read Fung, the more I like him. He says it like it is but doesn't go overboard.

#22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-15, 13:02

Post from Jimmy Moore.
A petition to demand that the Dietary Guidelines be based on science promoted by Dr. Jeff Volek:

Action Needed: Dr. Jeff Volek Started Petition To Put Quality Science Back In Dietary Guidelines. ‪#‎JimmyScopes‬ (if you want to listen to Jimmy's description of it): https://vimeo.com/141817030

One of the world's leading low-carb researchers is Dr. Jeff Volek at Ohio State University. He was in Washington, DC yesterday discussing the 2015 Dietary Guidelines during the U.S. House Agriculture Committee hearing looking into the new dietary recommendations. The House Ag Committee was very concerned about the tentative report that blatantly ignored the role of carbohydrates in chronic disease and the growing body of literature on the benefits of low-carb diets in dealing with so many of those diseases. Dr. Volek sent me an email today about a petition he created to raise awareness and put pressure on the USDA and HHS to make meaningful changes to the Dietary Guidelines set to release in December.

https://www.change.org/p/mike-conaw...uiter=400169012

(Sorry..I couldn't get Jimmy's TinyURL to work, the long one above does)

Petition to sign and then share this far and wide all over social media to make it go viral. We can easily get the 10,000 signatures that will get their attention and make them realize we're not gonna put up with this anymore. THANK YOU for helping to get the word out!

The three hour House Agriculture Committee meeting October 7th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6D...eature=youtu.be

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-08-15 at 14:31.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-15, 15:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Done! Thanks for letting us know.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-15, 15:56

http://wapo.st/1Lleqiq

Washington Post article about the meeting. Seems that the Agriculture Committee gets it. HHS maybe not so much "Burwell seemed to acknowledge the nation's continuing health problems and answered with a question about what American health would have been like without the guidelines.
"We are on the wrong trajectory, but would the trajectory have been worse?" she said." [Umm..no]

Quote:
Congress takes aim at the science behind the government’s nutrition advice

The quality of the evidence supporting the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the influential nutritional advice from the federal government, came under steady attack at a Congressional hearing Wednesday, with representatives complaining that the credibility of the national advice has been eroded by shifts in science.

Salt? Saturated fat? Eggs? Meat? Opinions about each of these were aired as members of Congress directed their skepticism at the two cabinet secretaries who oversee the development of the nutritional guidelines, Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.
"My concern is we have these guidelines that have pushed people away from eggs and butter and milk and so forth and then they come back and say, 'Well, we're wrong.' You know?" said Rep. Collin C. Peterson (D-Minn.),ranking member of the House Agriculture Committee, which held the hearing on the Dietary Guidelines. "Why are we going off on these tangents if we have a [scientific] process that is so heavily vetted?"

"I want you to understand, from my constituents, most of them don't believe this stuff anymore. You have lost your credibility with a lot of people. They are just flat out ignoring this stuff, and so that's why I say I wonder why we are doing this."

"Uncertainty in the process leads to concern about whether the [Dietary Guidelines] recommendations will maintain the scientific integrity necessary," committee chair K. Michael Conaway (R-Tex.) told the secretaries.
Burwell and Vilsack defended the nutritional guidelines, saying they have been based on the best available science. Evidence changes, they noted, and isn't always clear-cut.

But the Dietary Guidelines, due to be updated later this year, have come under increasingly heavy scrutiny in recent months because of doubts about their scientific underpinnings. The government's long-standing guidance about nutritional basics such as fat, salt and cholesterol have been undermined by recent research. Members of the public filed 29,000 comments on the report filed in February by the advisory panel advising the government on the development of the guidelines.

A group of academics and other scientists, calling itself the Nutrition Coalition, has also formed to push for stronger science in the guidelines. The coalition is funded by the Action Now Initiative, an advocacy group supported by Houston-based philanthropists Laura and John D. Arnold. No financial support is provided by industry groups of any kind, the group said. Three of the group members are~former members of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, and another is former chair of the American Heart Association’s nutrition committee.

Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.) raised the possibility that the guidelines, which the government has published since 1980, might be rated a failure, given the nation's high rates of obesity, diabetes and other chronic health problems.
The guidelines have come out for decades, but "are Americans healthier or less healthy since the guidelines have been published?" he asked Burwell and Vilsack. "In some ways, haven't these guidelines somewhat failed? . . . They don't seem like they are accomplishing their objective."

Burwell seemed to acknowledge the nation's continuing health problems and answered with a question about what American health would have been like without the guidelines.
"We are on the wrong trajectory, but would the trajectory have been worse?" she said.

Vilsack repeatedly emphasized the difficulty of making recommendations when the science sometimes provides only hunches, not proof about the best diet. He noted, too, that the legislation creating the Dietary Guidelines calls for guidelines based on the "preponderance" of the evidence, not guidelines based on evidence that might be considered "beyond a reasonable doubt."

"This is really about well-informed opinion," Vilsack told the commiteee. "I wish there were scientific facts. But the reality is stuff changes, right? Stuff changes. The key here is taking a look at the preponderance, the greater weight of the evidence, and trying to make a judgement. "

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-08-15 at 17:00.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-15, 14:46

BF:

Good, the confusion is being aired in the right place, as the government has embraced flawed nutritional information and has been way too strident in selling it to the public. I'm starting to sense an increasingly public awareness of the issues discussed on this forum everyday. It's starting with small steps, but it's starting.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-15, 04:41
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Yeah, you're right: it all has to begin with communication, no matter what chaos that entails. At least very slowly it is starting.

I am often wholly cynical about the entire future of our country, dominantly as a result of my cynicism about nutrition, and its pervasive influence including on entire generations who grow up stupider and more depressive and dysfunctional and feed and parent more badly the next generation as a result. I think this has not just health repercussions, and education repercussions, but very serious political repercussions also.

But then I see someone or something making even a tiny bit of headway in the public, and that pollyanna-patriot-raised-on-disney in me wants to leap and yell, "There's hope! It could happen!"

I hope so.

PJ
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 03:17

More from the The New York Times upshot blog on Nina Teicholz's article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/u...lines.html?_r=0

Are Fats Unhealthy? The Battle over the Dietary Guidelines.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 08:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

He's flat out wrong. When 10% of the adults in this country have diabetes, controlling diabetes IS a crucial part of national nutrition guidelines. Primarily in preventing it in the first place, certainly. But also in guiding those who have developed it.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 08:22

BF:

Thanks for the link, Janet. Here's the link to the referenced article from the author:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/21/u...thy-eating.html

His one size does not fit all message makes some sense in the overall context, but I'm not sure he's really taking a stand here other than trying to assuage all readers about a "balanced, whole foods diet."
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 09:36

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
He's flat out wrong. When 10% of the adults in this country have diabetes, controlling diabetes IS a crucial part of national nutrition guidelines. Primarily in preventing it in the first place, certainly. But also in guiding those who have developed it.

"Controlling diabetes, while important, isn’t the subject of the dietary guidelines. "

If the health of the nation is the subject of the dietary guidelines. And if a mind-boggling majority of people in the US have insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, metabolic syndrome, and T2 diabetes ..... well, maybe LC and LCHF ought to be looked at as providing remarkable and long-standing health improvements to - not all, certainly not all - but to a whole lot of people.

Sigh, maybe tsunamis like when the ADA asked for BG levels on FB and ocean-waves Dr Volek's petition will catch someone's attention. Maybe.