Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 13:14

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Obsession with calorie counting is FUELLING the obesity crisis

Quote:
From The Mail
London, UK
27 August, 2015

Obsession with calorie counting is FUELLING the obesity crisis: Key to staying healthy is adopting a high-fat Mediterranean diet

Experts have accused the slimming industry of exaggerating dietary myths

Limiting amount we eat and not focusing on quality doesn't help, they say

We should also lose our fear of fats - some of which can be good for us

Counting calories does more harm than good, experts warn today.

In a damning analysis of decades of dietary advice, doctors say we have been misled about the best way to stay healthy.

We should focus on the content of our food, rather than how much of it we eat, say cardiologists, and we need to lose our fear of fats – some of which can be good for us.

The experts, writing in the BMJ journal Open Heart today, say that existing advice has been so bad that it has contributed to Britain’s obesity crisis.

They write: ‘It is time to stop counting calories, and time to instead promote good nutrition and dietary changes that can rapidly and substantially reduce cardiovascular mortality.’

The NHS advises women to eat no more than 2,000 calories a day and men to consume no more than 2,500.

But the authors, led by cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra, of Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey, say that focusing on these arbitrary limits has actually encouraged people to eat junk food.

A low-fat yogurt, for example, contains fewer calories than a full-fat version – but far more sugar, a major cause of obesity and heart disease.

The authors accuse the slimming industry and food manufacturers of exaggerating dietary myths. Simply limiting the amount we eat, rather than focusing on the quality, does not help people stay healthy.

‘Weight-loss interventions are rarely sustained,’ they write.

‘Long-term follow-up studies reveal that the majority of individuals regain virtually all of the weight that was lost during treatment, irrespective of whether they maintain their diet or exercise programme.

‘Shifting the focus away from calories and emphasising a dietary pattern that focuses on food quality rather than quantity will help to rapidly reduce obesity, related diseases, and cardiovascular risk.

‘The evidence indeed supports the mantra that “food can be the most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison”.’

The intervention adds to growing doubts about decades-old advice that saturated fat is bad for you.

A recent study found that people who ate saturated fat in butter or cream were no more likely to have an early death than anyone else.

The authors of the new paper also point to the results of clinical trials which showed that low-calorie diets were not associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular death.

Dr Malhotra, who wrote the editorial with Professor Simon Capewell of Liverpool University and James DiNicolantonio, of St Luke’s Hospital in Kansas, said calorie-restricted diets did not take into account the quality of the food people were eating.

Instead, people should eat a Mediterranean-style diet, rich in oily fish, olive oil and nuts.

And they say some fats – which are packed with calories – can have a beneficial effect on the heart.

Dr Malhotra said last night: ‘I think the current dietary advice has been a major contributory factor in the obesity and type 2 diabetes epidemic.

‘I have concerns that vested interests have sadly had an influence on the scientific and medical advice.

‘Our parents and grandparents did not count calories – and there was no obesity.’

Dr Louis Levy, of Public Health England, said: ‘The overwhelming evidence tells us that we need to reduce calories to lose weight and calorie counting remains one of a number of useful tools to achieve this.

'We also need to eat more fruit, vegetables, oily fish and fibre and cut back on sugar, salt and saturated fat in the diet to improve our health.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ontent-eat.html

Quote:
Open Heart 2015;2: doi:10.1136/openhrt-2015-000273

Editorial

It is time to stop counting calories, and time instead to promote dietary changes that substantially and rapidly reduce cardiovascular morbidity and mortality

Aseem Malhotra1,2,
James J DiNicolantonio3 and
Simon Capewell4

Most heart attacks and ischaemic strokes are caused by complicated atheroma usually compounded by thrombosis suddenly reducing blood flow in a critical artery. Extensive evidence suggests that this atheroma silently builds up over many decades. However, arterial stiffening can be seen even in children who are obese, and aortic fatty streaks are visible in some teenagers and young adults.1 Yet, most cardiovascular events do not manifest until after the age of 60 years. The general perception is thus of a slow process that will therefore only reverse slowly, if at all. However, this perception is wrong. Extensive empirical and trial evidence reveals that substantial reductions in mortality can occur within months of quitting smoking, or making healthy dietary changes. These reductions apply to both individuals and to entire populations. In one American hospital, admissions for acute coronary syndromes decreased by 40% within 6 months of the introduction of local smoke free legislation.2 When the law was rescinded, coronary admissions rapidly returned to previous levels. The introduction of smoke-free legislation in Scotland in 2006 was soon followed by a 6% decrease in out of hospital cardiac deaths and a 17% decrease in hospital admissions within a year.3 Even 30 min of secondhand smoke exposure has been proven to increase platelet activity and hence elevate cardiovascular risk.4

Read the full article here:

http://openheart.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000273.full

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 19:21

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
A recent study found that people who ate saturated fat in butter or cream were no more likely to have an early death than anyone else.

Yet still recommending avoiding saturated fats? (shakes head)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-15, 22:22
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

/Yes, avoid animal fats, trans-fats and 'artery clogging tropical oils' use rancid, highly-processed 'heart healthy' seed oils instead! /satire
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-15, 17:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Actually, the study showed that those who eat animal fats are less likely to suffer an early death from heart attack. But that's too radical for most people to hear, I suspect.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-15, 08:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Actually, the study showed that those who eat animal fats are less likely to suffer an early death from heart attack. But that's too radical for most people to hear, I suspect.

Imagine the headlines:

BACON SAVES LIVES

Yeah. That's gonna happen!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-15, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Even if it were helpful to "count calories", the labels are often inaccurate (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article...rticleid=408583) and bomb calorimetry results cannot be extrapolated to the body (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...miscounts/?_r=0, http://authoritynutrition.com/6-rea...not-a-calorie/).
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-15, 09:21

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I've been using fitbit for about a month now. If you input your food on their website or on myfitnesspal it will tell you how many calories you consumed vs how many calories you burned through exercise, as if this is the only thing that matters, which we lchf folk know is not true. When I look at the discussions in the community section of the fitbit website most people seem to be sold on the cico model of weight loss and very few seem to have adopted a low carb way of eating. It is discouraging. I am so grateful to have found out what really works for health and weight and not to be counting calories and trying to balance my eating with my exercise as if it told the whole story.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-15, 11:01

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
...When I look at the discussions in the community section of the fitbit website most people seem to be sold on the cico model of weight loss and very few seem to have adopted a low carb way of eating. It is discouraging. I am so grateful to have found out what really works for health and weight and not to be counting calories and trying to balance my eating with my exercise as if it told the whole story.

Jean

And I continually encounter people who say, "What!? You don't eat bread?! What do you eat if you don't eat bread! How do you get your fiber!!" [sigh]