Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-15, 08:29

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Vinegar and teeth

Hi. Dennis here. This has probably been talked about a lot on here so apologies. I've recently added a lot of ACV to my diet along with olive oil. In fact I eat it almost daily as it has become one of my new favorite condiments. I pour it and olive oil directly on greens, quiche, even taco beef blend. It is purported to lower blood sugars and other benefits. Anyway is there a real danger of it eating away tooth enamel? I know if you take it by the spoonfull at night there is, but I was wondering if taken with food if the risk is still there? Should a person eating vinegar in their meal rinse their mouth with plain water after eating as a precaution? I know there are a lot of you out there taking ACV so your thoughts are welcome.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-15, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/180/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 34%

From what I have read about ACV, you should rinse it off your teeth every time you consume it. I think if you add an extra 8 ounces of water after your meal you should be ok. Hopefully those who use ACV regularly will have more information about it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-15, 09:32

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

And don't brush your teeth after you eat it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-15, 11:57

BF:

How long should you wait to brush your teeth after?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-15, 12:11

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
How long should you wait to brush your teeth after?

I don't know, but I would wait an hour.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-15, 13:31

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

You might think about using a straw. If you do, glass straws would be my choice, as the ACV would dissolve part of the plastic.

I knew a lady who drank black tea with a straw so it wouldn't stain her teeth.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-15, 20:48

BF:

Thanks but I'm eating it on food so a straw wouldn't help. I suppose I'll just gargle with water after eating and wait a couple of hours before brushing. ACV can't be much worse for enamel than all that soda I used to drink.

Last edited by Whited : Tue, Aug-04-15 at 21:18.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-15, 09:09

BF:

You know I looked up some risk factors (other than vinegar) for losing tooth enamel and I'm suprised I still have teeth.

1. Teeth grinding Wow. I've ground my teeth bad for years. I mean real bad. Only in the last few years have I worn a toothguard and I chewed through the last one in less than a year. They had to make a thicker one just for me. I've done more grinding than Elvis and Little Richard on a prom date.

2, Chewing on objects like pens Are you kidding me? I've been a teacher for 30 years and always had a pen either in my pocket (explains all those ink stains on my cheap dress slacks) or in my mouth. I have an oral fixation that would raise Sigmund Freud's old perverted eyebrows. The new teachers use ipads and phones -- I don't think I would have chewed on those at least but you never know.

3. Sodas Sodas used to be a major food group at the base of my sugary food pyramid. I drank sodas the way a 17 year old texts. I drank sodas the way Dennis Leary (or if you are more of a Redneck comedy fan Ron White) smokes onstage. I went through the drive through at McDonald's for their $1 big sodas so much that Ronald McDonald himself waited on me as a preferred customer.

4. Eating Sour Candies I went through a Sour Patch Kid phase where my mouth was as hot and on fire as Michael Jackson back in the Thriller days or George Clooney and his mullet on Facts of Life.

So to summarize, I now use a toothguard (though biting nails is still on the table), don't drink sodas or eat candy anymore, and they'll probably phase me out of teaching one day soon like your worn out old record player with a marble taped to the arm so the needle wound't skip on your favorite Herman's Hermit's 45, so less access to pens. In short I'll risk the ACV.

Last edited by Whited : Wed, Aug-05-15 at 09:18.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-15, 09:13

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I make salad dressing with olive oil and acv. and have some almost every day. I've never concerned myself with teeth staining from the vinegar and as far as I can tell it's not a problem so I guess I will not add it to the things I worry about.

Jean
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-15, 09:48

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 332/282/250 Female 5'7
BF:

I've worried about this too. I have very sensitive teeth, and I've actually noticed a little bit of discomfort after drinking my daily ACV. And this is properly mixed in a bottle of water, as well. Using a straw is actually a great suggestion--thanks Bob! I am going to try this next time.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 07:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm skeptical about the vinegar risk to teeth. It's about as acidic as soda. I have a TERRIBLE soda habit, and my teeth are in fantastic shape. Honestly, I think compared to sugar, it's no big deal unless you already have something else going on like grinding. It's not like you're bathing your teeth in it - that's why you have saliva.

If it were me, I'd just eat normally and swish your mouth out with water afterward if it makes you feel better about it.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 08:16

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I've used red wine vinegar and oil on my salads all my life. It's what my Italian mom did, and I never developed a taste for those thick, creamy dressings.

I don't have great teeth, gum disease is inherited, but I don't think the salads had anything to do with that.

I don't know if ACV is more acidic than RWV.

I do know you aren't supposed to use white vinegar for a different reason.

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 10:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The worst thing you can do is brush your teeth right after eating or drinking acids as they do make the enamel softer/more porous for ~30-45 minutes until water, food and saliva dilute it to normal pH. Brushing can wear off some of the vulnerable enamel if you brush before your mouth pH is neutralized. It is often the obsessive brushers who have the worst gums.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 12:50

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I drink diluted ACV (Bragg's), about 1 tablespoon in 8 ounces of water, typically in the evening; although, you can drink it before meals to control the BG spike. I add it to salads and other foods. It's great, and the diluted version will not dissolve tooth enamel unless you're keeping it in your mouth for a while after drinking it. Never drink it undiluted! Rinse with water if you're concerned and just to be safe. It's good stuff and good for you!!!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-15, 05:58

Plan: Atkins> LCHF >Carnivore
Stats: 200/183.5/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
You know I looked up some risk factors (other than vinegar) for losing tooth enamel and I'm suprised I still have teeth.

1. Teeth grinding Wow. I've ground my teeth bad for years. I mean real bad. Only in the last few years have I worn a toothguard and I chewed through the last one in less than a year. They had to make a thicker one just for me. I've done more grinding than Elvis and Little Richard on a prom date.

2, Chewing on objects like pens Are you kidding me? I've been a teacher for 30 years and always had a pen either in my pocket (explains all those ink stains on my cheap dress slacks) or in my mouth. I have an oral fixation that would raise Sigmund Freud's old perverted eyebrows. The new teachers use ipads and phones -- I don't think I would have chewed on those at least but you never know.

3. Sodas Sodas used to be a major food group at the base of my sugary food pyramid. I drank sodas the way a 17 year old texts. I drank sodas the way Dennis Leary (or if you are more of a Redneck comedy fan Ron White) smokes onstage. I went through the drive through at McDonald's for their $1 big sodas so much that Ronald McDonald himself waited on me as a preferred customer.

4. Eating Sour Candies I went through a Sour Patch Kid phase where my mouth was as hot and on fire as Michael Jackson back in the Thriller days or George Clooney and his mullet on Facts of Life.

So to summarize, I now use a toothguard (though biting nails is still on the table), don't drink sodas or eat candy anymore, and they'll probably phase me out of teaching one day soon like your worn out old record player with a marble taped to the arm so the needle wound't skip on your favorite Herman's Hermit's 45, so less access to pens. In short I'll risk the ACV.

I can't be of any help, but this was just hilarious! Thanks for the giggle!