Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-15, 17:48
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Adhering to Dietary Approaches for Personal Taste (ADAPT) Survey

Quote:
The primary goal of the Adhering to Dietary Approaches for Personal Taste (ADAPT) Survey is to determine the feasibility of conducting future research studies among populations of individuals consuming a variety of popular diets, including Paleo, low-carb, vegetarian, vegan, raw, Mediterranean, gluten-free, low-fat, and others. Our focus on popular dietary patterns is unique and unexplored in other similar cohort studies to date.

We are currently recruiting participants for future research studies who follow any and all dietary patterns with a 15-minute survey—click here to join the ADAPT project and share your dietary information.

Specific Objectives: The target participants for this survey will be recruited from populations who adhere to different diets based on personal taste or purported health benefits. After determining the feasibility of data collection, some initial questions that may be investigated include:
  • Do people who self-identify as following a particular diet or dietary pattern actually adhere to the principles of this diet? How do the nutrient compositions vary within and between dietary patterns?
  • Does adherence to specific dietary patterns lead to over-consumption or under-consumption of nutrients?
  • How do the sodium, sugar and fat intakes across the various dietary patterns compare to age, sex, and BMI-matched controls consuming a typical Western or standard American diet?
  • What are the factors that predict continued adherence to specific dietary patterns?
Principal Investigator: Nicola McKeown, PhD
For more information, please email adaptinfo~tufts.edu.

http://hnrca.tufts.edu/studyadapt/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-15, 07:14

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I like the idea that they let people self-select what their eating plan is. I know this is typically a big "no no" in RCTs. There was one being run near me in Florida a while back where they wanted to compare blood sugar results on people who were on either a strict low carb diet or a strict low fat diet, with participants randomized into one cohort or the other. On the questionnaire you were asked if you had any strong preference for one diet or the other. If you said that you did you were immediately ineligible to participate!

But of course for any diet, for any reason, adherence is one of the key factors in how well it works. Surely people who have a strong preference for one plan or another are the ones most likely to adhere to it in the long term rather than folks who are just randomly assigned to an eating plan that they don't really feel suits them.

After all, so many of the studies I've read about have said low carb is not a viable lifestyle choice as folks have trouble adhering to it, and yet look at all the folks right here on this site who have been doing it for YEARS.

Surely you can randomize people by age, gender, etc? I'd love to see results of trials where people actually could select an eating plan they most preferred!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-15, 08:04
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

An hour later I finished entering all the blogs and books on this woe that I follow and read.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-15, 08:53

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
An hour later I finished entering all the blogs and books on this woe that I follow and read.
ROFL (text added so this post has enough characters to be acceptable)
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 08:16

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Dr Nicola, I assume you have permission from the forum owners to recruit participants for this study? If so, you should acknowledge it. Otherwise you may be infringing on Ethics Review Board guidelines for conducting research.

For example, weight watchers refuses access to their clients. Some forums also refuse access.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 09:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

That wasn't posted by Dr. Nicola. It was a quote from somewhere else. Unless RawNut is Dr. Nicola.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 15:55
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Indeed, I am not Dr. Nicola McKeown. I just posted it because it's an interesting study design and I thought some here might want to participate.