Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-15, 14:04

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I stopped buying conventional ground beef when 'pink slime' became news. They've probably stopped that practice now since they got caught, but still the idea of eating ground beef that isn't grass fed skieves me out. I buy organic, pastured, grass fed, and non-GMO whenever I possibly can and cut back in other areas to do so.

The price differential entirely depends on where you are buying your food. My local grocery (in a marginal area) sells feedlot ribeye for $11. My local farmer's market sells grass fed ribeye for $16 and my nearest WholeFoods (in an upmarket area) sells grass fed ribeye for $23. All about the same size.

I'm 65, work full time, walk at least an hour every weekday and 4 hours on weekends, take no prescription drugs and rarely get an ache or a pain. But even if the way I eat is not responsible for that, every instinct in my being tells me it's not okay to eat strawberries spliced with sheep's genes or any of the other mad-scientist protocols devised for our corporate food supply.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-15, 14:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I know there's such a thing as PubMed. Pointing at it doesn't really count towards providing references for a claim.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 08:54

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Bob,

I've made the same decisions you have. I only eat grassfed meats and organic produce. I prioritize food quality. I find my savings else where. I don't have cable, don't eat in restaurants, drive my car as little as possible, often only 1 or 2 days a week etc. We each make our own choices based on our own circumstances and values.

Jean

And I hope you are as healthy as I am (or even healthier).

We all have our priorities, and it's nice when there is reinforcement that we made the right choices.

To me the proof of a lifetime of making healthier food a priority is that I'm turning 69 this month, I'm a pro musician and I haven't called in sick since 1964, I'm on zero prescription drugs, and I can still walk 4 miles a day. Plus I can still play music 4 hours straight, without taking a break, on my feet, with the energy and passion of a youth, and move an audience (I don't plan on retiring).

There have been times when I discovered certain foods disagreed with me, sugar, egg yolks, fowl, and others for various reasons - and when I isolated the culprit, it's out of my diet - gone for good.

As the live music and recording session opportunity have dwindled for all musicians, I've made certain changes in my spending habits. Healthy foods will be one of the last things I cut, and if I do that, you know I'm very desperate. As long as they don't kill Social Security and as long as someone will want to hear me play sax, flute, guitar, synthesizer, bass, drums or hear me sing, I don't see myself getting that desperate.

I suspect what works for me doesn't work for everyone, but through a lifetime of listening to my body, and following the research I can find in respected, peer-reviewed scientific journals, I've turned out to be healthier than well over 90% of the people half my age and above. Barring some freak accident, I expect to live over 100 and still be healthy.

Some people would rather watch TV than be healthy, that's their choice. Others like to be healthy and do dangerous things like hang-gliding or mountain climbing, that's their choice. There is no one correct way to do it.

Bob
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 08:56

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I know there's such a thing as PubMed. Pointing at it doesn't really count towards providing references for a claim.

Don't believe me. Do your own research if you are interested. It's there for anyone on the Internet.

Or just figure 65 countries that pay their own medical bills have banned foods containing GMOs, like American GMO Corn-Fed Beef.

It's your choice, and you don't have to justify what you prefer to eat.

Bob
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 09:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

A lot of the beef sold as USDA Organic beef isn't even produced in the US and we don't have inspectors in foreign countries so buyer beware....
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 09:29

BF:

This article is along the lines of what Bob was referring to, although grass fed is never mentioned. The scientists among us should be able to find the published scientific research referred to in the article. Animal lovers: there are some disturbing pictures of rats with huge tumors induced by GMOs and Roundup.

http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_G...gan_damage.html
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 09:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
A lot of the beef sold as USDA Organic beef isn't even produced in the US and we don't have inspectors in foreign countries so buyer beware....

As someone who was born and raised in a foreign country I think it's fair to point out that they do have their own inspectors and in many countries the standards are somewhat higher than the US, particularly in regard to GMOs. Furthermore, America has a lot of rules about what foodstuffs can and cannot be imported here. So even after the foreign (untrustworthy? less than satisfactory?) inspectors have done their work, the food also has to get past whatever tests are in place to enforce the American rules.

Last edited by Whofan : Thu, Jul-09-15 at 11:03.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 10:06

BF:

Grass-fed does not mean that no weed killer was used on the grass. Most all grasses cultivated for cattle consumption is poisoned at least 2-3 times per year to remove the weeds.
If I could afford it I would be buying American produced organic Beef.
I have found recently that Uruguay is claiming to have 100% grass fed beef and is exporting it to the US. because they claim to have no winter so that the grass doesn't go dormant as it will in areas with a winter season when the cattle must be fed.
But again, I don't trust USDA certified in foreign countries (meat or vegetables) and the US produced organic beef is almost unaffordable...
It would be so expensive to buy organic feed that it would probably turn a $3,000 cow into a $6000 cow and the price per pound in the store would probably be around $30 per pound.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 10:09

BF:

Only 1% of the imported foods is inspected by USDA.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 10:13

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Your body, your health, you could be right, you could be wrong. With so much conflicting information out there, who knows what is correct.

The FDA said Vioxx was safe, and in 5 years it killed more Americans than the entire Viet Nam war. When they did the trials, it was revealed that those taking Vioxx had a 500 times greater risk of heart attack than the control group. Merck and the FDA fudged the conclusion and committed mass murder for corporate profits.

I am going to err on the side of safety. Good luck, I like you and I hope I'm being over-cautious.

Bob

I'm with you Bob, I avoid Big Food and Big Pharma as much as possible--which is like 100%. When I see all those commercials for the latest life-improving drug...I just think it's bad juju.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 10:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
I'm with you Bob, I avoid Big Food and Big Pharma as much as possible--which is like 100%. When I see all those commercials for the latest life-improving drug...I just think it's bad juju.

I also agree. I was raised by a mother from France who ate low-carb most of her life (never ate rice, beans, pasta or potatoes) and would take no drugs, not even Tylenol or Motrin when they both came out.
30 years ago when the new seedless fruits (grapes) came out she said that they were unnatural/abnormal and would not buy or eat them. Now we know that is GMO.
All of the GMO is sterol and cannot reproduce itself. Rice farmers used to get two harvest from one single planting because the first planting would throw of seeds which would germinate the second harvest, but that does not happen anymore because the rice does not go to seed.

What that means is that the chemical companies like Monsanto own our US food supply...
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 12:59

BF:

I had trouble finding the study. There's a study referenced in the article, but it didn't actually mention any rodents getting cancer. The lead author's name didn't yield anything on Pubmed... so I googled the lead author's name + cancer, and got this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A9ralini_affair

Quote:
The Séralini affair is a controversy over an experiment involving feeding genetically modified maize (called corn in North America) to rats. The study claimed that the diet was toxic to the animals. The experiment was conducted by a group led by French molecular biologist Gilles-Éric Séralini. The experiments involved feeding Monsanto's RoundUp-tolerant NK603 maize and the herbicide RoundUp to rats.[1]

The group's conclusions and experimental design were heavily criticized, along with its publication strategy.[2][3] At the press conference announcing the publication of the paper, Seralini displayed photographs of rats with large tumors, and emphasized his cancer findings.[2] The press conference received extensive coverage in the media; "within hours, the news had been blogged and tweeted more than 1.5 million times. Lurid photos of tumor-ridden rats appeared on websites and in newspapers around the world..."[2] At the press conference, Séralini also announced that he was releasing a book and a documentary film on the research. Séralini required journalists to sign a confidentiality agreement before viewing the study in advance of the conference.[2] The confidentiality agreement prohibited them from contacting other researchers in advance of the conference.

After the paper was published, scientists and regulatory agencies found the conclusions of the paper to be invalid on the basis of the experimental design; each arm in the study had too few rats to obtain useful data in a lifetime study of Sprague-Dawley rats, which get cancer at a high rate over their lifetime.[4] Other publicly funded long term studies uncovered no health issues.

It's a "who do you trust" sort of thing. The obvious answer will be of course "not Monsanto." But however much we might all agree that Monsanto sucks, being big and evil isn't the same as being guilty of everything that you might be accused of. Anyways, the effects of roundup fed directly to rodents is beyond the scope of my disagreement here. It's the one step further--cows eat roundup corn, rats eat cows, rats get cancer--that I'm interested in. I can't seem to find anything showing that animals eating GMO corn would carry enough glyphosate in their tissues to be relevant here. The fact that the stuff is water soluble would tend to support that.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 15:48

BF:

http://www.enveurope.com/content/pd...-014-0014-5.pdf

Looks like they finally did manage to republish that gmo, roundup rat cancer study last year.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 18:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
It's a "who do you trust" sort of thing.

Data. I trust data. No not the character in Star Trek the Next Generation but numbers. I trust numbers.

"In God we trust. All others bring data." - W.E. Deming

Quote:
http://www.enveurope.com/content/pd...-014-0014-5.pdf

Looks like they finally did manage to republish that gmo, roundup rat cancer study last year.

TL;DR. So did they just feed the rats roundup directly or grain with roundup or GMOed grain, etc. etc.? The studies that that could not reproduce the results, did they reportedly use the same methods? I know we are down the rabbit hole and it's not your job to disprove the unproven but I thought you might know.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 21:34

BF:

I still have to give the study a better read, but this in the discussion sort of sticks out;

Quote:
As already stated, our study was not designed
as a carcinogenicity study that would have required according
to OECD the use of 50 rats per sex per group.
However, we wish to emphasize that the need for more
rats to provide sufficient statistical power may be biased
by the presence of contaminants in the diets used in gathering
historical control data, increasing artificially the
background of tumors, which would inappropriately be
called in this case ‘spontaneous’ or due to the genetic
strain. For instance, toxic, hormonal disrupting or carcinogenic
levels of pesticides, PCBs, plasticizers, dioxins, or
heavy metals may contaminate the diets or drinking water
used for the establishment of ‘spontaneous’ tumors in historical
data [58-62].

If you look at table 2, even the controls had pretty high rates of cancer. This strain is particularly cancer-prone, at least in the typical lab setting.

The authors suggest here that the background level of cancer might be high due to other carcinogens in the environment. Complaining that more animals are needed to achieve statistical significance--well, yeah. If there are confounding variables, it will take more subjects to show a statistically significant effect. If we let them rewrite history, then they get to be statistically significant. You can't become significant by hypothesizing that every other study ever done was contaminated. Were the tumors in the control group "spontaneous" but the ones in historical data not?

Rats were given non-gmo corn without roundup as the control, or gmo corn without roundup, or gmo corn with roundup, or non-gmo corn with roundup in the drinking water. Looking back at table 2 again--trying to see a pattern, beyond it being safer to be a rat in the control group than one in any of the intervention groups just crosses my eyes. For the six most frequent pathologies, the lowest incidence was in the controls.

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/16/3/194

This study looked at spontaneous cancer in Sprague-Dawley rats.
Quote:
Summary

A tumor incidence of 57 per cent was observed in 150 female rats allowed to live out their life-span as normal, control animals on standard laboratory chow. One hundred similar rats on a special fatrich diet developed an 80 per cent tumor incidence.

Ninety-five per cent of the tumors observed involved mammary gland tissue. Twelve per cent of all tumors observed were of a malignant type. Eighty-seven per cent of all tumors appeared after the rats were 540 days of age, and the mean lifespan after a tumor was first observed was 140 days.

Related studies with a smaller number of animals indicated that male rats of the same strain were 5 times less susceptible to tumor formation than females. However, three of the four tumors that were examined histologically in the males were classified as malignant.

The mean life span of normal female Sprague-Dawley rats in this laboratory was 760 ± 21 days, with individuals ranging in life span from 193 to 1100 days

Simply feeding this strain of rats a "high fat" diet, whatever that means, induces a cancer rate similar to the rates shown in the gmo corn study. It's really not very hard to give this strain an extremely high rate of cancer.

Something in me wants to make something of the fact that in every category in table 2, the least tumours appeared in control rats. But then you look at the categories... they're related. Of course a rat with a mammary gland tumour will be more likely to have a mammary tumour. And kidney, liver and hepatodigestive tract cancers are liable to travel together as well. So not as much of a coincidence as it seemed at first glance.

http://weedcontrolfreaks.com/2012/0...trial-is-bogus/

Quote:
But here’s the important part: Simply by chance, if we draw 10 rats from a population in which 72% get tumors after 2 years, we have anywhere from 5 (“t2″) to 10 (“t1″) rats in a treatment group that will develop tumors. Simply due to chance; not due to treatments. If I did not know about this predisposition for developing tumors in Sprague-Dawley rats, and I were comparing these treatment groups, I might be inclined to say that there is indeed a difference between treatment 1 and treatment 2. Only 5 animals developed tumors in treatment 1, and all 10 animals developed tumors treatment 2; that seems pretty convincing. But again, in this case, it was purely due to chance.

So my conclusion is that this study is flawed due to the choice of Sprague-Dawley rats, and the duration (2 years) for which the study was conducted. Sprague-Dawley rats appear to have a high probability of health problems after 2 years. And when there is a high probability of health problems, there is a high probability that just by chance you will find differences between treatments, especially if your sample size for each treatment is only 10 individuals.