Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 13:10

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'm proud of you for juggling so well!
I'm a little discouraged. I just spoke with a friend who is doing Atkins for the second time around and she's lost 16 lbs. in 3 weeks! I thought it was supposed to be so much tougher if you've done it before...
I guess I need to get myself out of this mindset because my boss ordered pizza for lunch for everyone and there's some left in the fridge. I was good and ate my salad, but pizza's definitely one of my downfalls. I guess if I really get the urge, I can pick some of the toppings off, huh?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 10:31

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%

EMPATHY, EMPATHY! I FEEL LIKE EVERYBODY LOSES WEIGHT FASTER THAN ME; IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE "LIFE IS UNFAIR" THINGS THAT WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH (OR NOT AS THE CASE MAY BE ). I KNOW PEOPLE WHO CAN LOSE A MILLION POUNDS IN 10 MINUTES (OR SO IT SEEMS), AND I AM LUCKY TO LOSE 2 IN A MONTH. I USED TO BE ABLE TO LOSE FAST, BUT MIDDLE AGE AND CANDIDA HAVE CAUGHT UP WITH ME STILL, I AM LOWER THAN I WAS A MONTH AGO, AND THAT IS LOWER THAN A MONTH BEFORE, SO IT IS ALL HAPPENING, JUST NOT AT THE SPEED I'D CHOOSE!

PIZZA THAT HAS TO BE ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVOURITE FOODS. CHRIS TOO; HE LOVES IT. HE COMPLAINEDTO ME THAT NOW WE'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO GO FOR PIZZA AGAIN, BUT I REPLIED WITH PRETTY MUCH WHAT YOU SAID, THERE'S ALWAYS THE TOPPINGS! BESIDES, THAT IS THE BEST PART. YOU ARE BRAVE TO HAVE IT IN THE HOUSE. I THINK I'D HAVE HAD TO SCRAPE OFF THE TOPPINGS AND THROW OUT THE BASE, JUST IN CASE THE TEMPTATION GOT TOO MUCH. BE BRAVE, YOU CAN DO IT! OR IF NOT, OOPS, IT'S JUST ONE WEE MISTAKE IN A PRETTY GLOWING TRACK RECORD!

HERE'S A THOUGHT; YOU CAN INVITE YOUR 16-POUNDS-IN-3 WEEKS FRIEND OVER AND OFFER HER PIZZA JUST KIDDING!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 06:22

BF:

Well, I didn't eat any pizza or toppings. I did well yesterday, too. It was the 4th and I was at a bar b que. I did have 3 beers, but they're the new Michelob Light low carb so they have less than 4 carbs per beer.
Didn't gain anything, so that's a plus. I'm going to measure myself tomorrow morning. Hopefully that will make me feel positive again. Haven't worked out all week because between working out last sat. and housework on sun. I've had alot of pain in my lower back. I wanted to give it as much rest as possible so I don't hurt myself. I think I'm going to work out tonight.
I'll let you know how my measuring turns out...
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 08:42

BF:

good luck with the measuring. i almost managed to forget the 4th yesterday; needless to say it isn't a big deal over here i did wear a patriotic t-shirt, though

well done on avoiding the pizza. i have never tried a lite beer that i have liked, so tend to just avoid it altogether. in fact, while lc-ing, i have had virtually nothing alcoholic to drink. i tend to drink water, water, and more water. i haven't even had a cuppa for 3 or 4 days, just water...

last night, we went to see 'minority report' with tom cruise. it just opened over here. in fact, the 'official' opening date is today; we got to a 'preview'. we enjoyed it. i had a bar of unsweetened carob and a diet pepsi with me, so felt really 'sinful' and wicked it is great managing the occasional treat without going overboard.

keep up the good work!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 08:58

BF:

I'm seriously considering trying the KISS WOE for a short time. I'm going on vacation to see my family in Indiana next month and I really wanted to lose some weight before going there. I don't know if I could be so restricted tho.
I'll let you know if I try it.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 07:00

BF:

I measured this morning. I've lost 8.5 inches. I'm almost afraid to say about my weight, but let's just say the profile is back to being correct - at the risk of jinxing myself.
It's been exactly one month. I don't know what my problem is. I should be jumping for joy, but I'm beating myself up feeling like it should be more. I guess I'm remembering how quickly I lost it the first time I was on it. I even worked out last night so I should be feeling great. I've had alot of depressing things happening in my life lately so I guess that's part of it. Need to get myself out of this mood, tho. I'll end up sabotaging my WOE if I don't... Hopefully next time we talk I'll be in a better frame of mind.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-02, 04:17

BF:

hey, you are speaking to the queen of self-beating-up! if i dont lose any weight, i hassle myself; if i do, i hassle myself that it isn't more! when i got down to 140 for my wedding, i still wasn't happy; i thought i should have been thinner. i look back at that now and think i was crazy. i looked really great, yet still thought i was fat. my head is healthier than it was then, but still, the tendency to never be happy with myself is an on-going one.

i think you're doing great, but who listens to me? I sure don't rather than focussing on what you *should* accomplish, try to be glad for what you *have* accomplished. you have made a start, and you are working on it. the journey really *is* as important as the destination.

depression is a real killer, and I am unfortunately very prone to it. st. john's wort helps me. i wish i'd remembered that before i spent several months ready to bang my head against a wall at the slightest provocation (not literally!). they say it can take up to 8 weeks to kick in, but i was so needing it that by day 3 i'd already noticed a difference. psychological or not, who cares, as long as it works?

be nice to you!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 07:21

BF:

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually, yesterday when I weighed I had lost another 2 lbs. but it's back today. It's my TOM so I'm not upset about it. I'm feeling a little better about everything. If I could just get past that 5# mark and STAY there, I'd be ecstatic. I'm so afraid I'll be back up to 225 again...and again and again....
As far as St. John's Wort, I used to take that until I found out that it can reduce the effects of birth control pills. Trust me, I'd be much MORE depressed if I found out I had a little one on the way!!!
You know we DO have alot in common. I have always thought I was fat. Even when I was 140 - 145. I look at old pictures and I would KILL to look like that again. I think it may be a very mild form of anorexia in my case. Who knows?
We just have to keep plugging along and have faith that all of this hard work will pay off in the end!
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 04:14

BF:

how ironic is life, eh? i have never heard that about st. john's wort and the pill, but the pill did me very badly anyway; i had every side effect known to man (or should that be woman?). i came off of it many years ago. of course it turns out that after an ectopic pregnancy (which took my one good tube) i am infertile and couldn't conceive if i wanted to (and i do, actually). still, i have friends' bairns to love and spoil, and leave behind when i get tired!

you are doing great! i mean, it's easy to stick with a woe when you are dropping pounds all the time, but the quick fix isn't the best way, as we know from experience (even though it is wonderful at the time!). anorexia is great, isn't it? sorry, but i remember times when i just didn't eat, and i felt so powerful. so what if i was hurting myself and doing goodness' knows what damage to my body? i never managed it for very long; i'm too greedy by nature.

i know what you mean about not wanting to go to 225 again. i have numbers like that, and they are getting smaller; 225 was mine and before that 230, and before that 235! we work in "stones" over here for some reason, and my "fearful number" right now is 14 stones (that's 196; a stone is 14 pounds). i am 13st 12 today (194) and had gotten to 13st.10 (192). Once i get below 13-and-a-half (189), that will become the bad number...

my t.o.m. is almost over, so back to reality soon-can't blame any weight gain on it then personal responsibility's a bitch, huh?

keep on keeping on, and we'll both get there in the end.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 15:15

BF:

Well, I'm going away again this weekend. We got rained out a few weeks ago to go to the parks so we rescheduled. I'm bound and determined not to cheat but it's so darned hard! The girls I'm going with just order all kinds of appetizers at the restaurants and go nuts! I've been doing well lately and just am not ready to get off track right now. I am going up to Indiana in August to visit my family and I know I'll cheat then. That's a given. It's my vacation and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it. The important thing is to get right back on track when I get home and not drag it out for a week, then two, then three...until I gain everything back. That seems to be my pattern. I really don't think I will tho. I'm doing well with my working out and I feel really good. I just realized yesterday that I'm not tired every single day any more. I definitely don't have the extra energy that most people say they have, but just not being tired is a miracle for me.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 03:55

BF:

i don't know what to tell you except to do your best. the thing to remember is that deffered gratification is a wonderful thing. if you decde *not* to eat whatever it is, you might feel deprived for a bit, but then you will feel *so* much stronger, and will be really proud of yourself. i mean, if you eat something that you *know* will put weight on and make you feel bad, what is the point of a few minutes' pleasure, when you will feel like hell, and beat yourself up for goodness' knows how long afterwards? i don't get it

my mother and i have this conversation *all* the time. her big excuse is that she *had* to eat whatever it was (usually someone's birthday cake or that kind of thing) so as to not hurt so-and-so's feelings. or she needed that ice cream to make her feel better. "did it?" i ask. "no", is the answer

what are we doing to ourselves? we eat stuff we know does us harm, then it does us harm and we spend ages feeling like we are pathetic because we didn't have the gumption to just say no

i can 'preach' because i am *exactly* the same and do just that myself, though not lately (says me, frantically looking for some wood to touch/knock on). on other diets, when we'd hit a sticky patch, wed just say "sod it!" and go away to carb-land for awhile

it has been so tempting for me lately to do that. i have even considered other diets. diets? yes, i know, crazy, crazy. i am just so frustrated at this lack of movement on the scales. my clothes aren't getting looser and nothing seems to be happening. still, onward and downward-nobody ever said this would be easy

you do the best you can this weekend, knowing that we are all right behind you in here
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 06:25

BF:

Thanks for the support. I believe I'll be able to go without cheating this weekend. If not, I'll just follow the CAD diet for the weekend. I'll allow myself one meal and make sure I eat within an hour...
It is frustrating. I keep trying on different pants and hoping they'll be loose and when they're not, I get aggravated. I just keep comparing this time to the first time I tried this WOE. I lost 12 lbs. on Induction and lost a total of 35 lbs. in 4 months. Maybe since I'm working so hard this time I'll be less apt to fall into my old pattern again. We'll see...
You're doing great! If nothing else, your body has got to be healthier. If you weren't following this WOE, you'd be the weight you're at or probably higher and not healthy. Keep at it and eventually the inches will start coming off!
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 04:45

BF:

thanks, sweetie, i needed that!

i'm up again today, and for no reason i can think of; i was expecting to be going the other way! it is mid-cycle so i can't blame t.o.m., i have been eating right and walking as much as i am able, but up, 2 pounds. i'm over my scary number of 13.12, to 13.13 (195) usually i like the number 13, but not today

still, there's always tomorrow

funny, but when this sort of thing happens, my mind screams, "go low fat, do a REAL diet!" honestly, the things i have to put up with from myself

have a GREAT weekend, and remember that food is only a part of it, and not the biggest part either. give 'em hell!
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 06:17

BF:

Don't let those pounds get you down! That's part of the price we people who insist on weighing every day have to pay. I'm down 2 lbs. again, but I'm not changing my profile yet... I do think I finally got past the 225 scary number, tho. (Knock on wood)
Keep up the good work and don't let those 2 lbs. get over on you!!! Have a great weekend.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 03:17

BF:

ONE OF THE POUNDS IS GONE AGAIN TODAY, DESPITE EATING OUT LAST NIGHT. GO FIGURE. WE WENT FOR AN INDIAN MEAL AND I HAD THIS AMAZING DISH (CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT'S CALLED) WHICH WAS LAMB IN A CREAM SAUCE WITH ROSE PETAL PASTE! INDIAN RESTAURANTS HERE DON'T TEND TO USE FLOUR FOR THICKENING, SO A CREAM SAUCE IS PRETTY SAFE. IT WAS QUITE AN EXPERIENCE; YOU COULD REALLY TASTE THE ROSES. I LOVED IT

CHRIS HAD A NAAN BREAD (BIG LOVELY INDIAN BREAD) WITH HIS MEAL, BUT I JUST HAD THE CURRY. HE WAS STUFFED AFTER HIS, AND I WAS JUST RIGHT. HOORAY FOR ME

E-TALK TO YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK.