Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 09:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Are the Data Underlying the U.S. Dietary Guidelines Flawed?

Paper in Mayo Clinic Proceedings from June 9 being picked up in a variety of media.

PR from Mayo, with video and many contacts:
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.or...cp_pr90_6_2.pdf

You can read the entire paper. Not long, fascinating Bar Graph!....Which could be summarized as overweight people lie about their food intake. Don't judge me...I filled one of these out three times as study participant starting very overweight! and agree!)

The bar Graph in the paper:

Figure
Percentage of implausible reporters by body mass index (BMI) for US women aged 20 to 74 years in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) (1971-2010). Physiologically implausible values were determined via the following equation: (reported energy intake/basal metabolic rate) ≤1.35. Implausible values may be considered “incompatible with life.”11,p7

Quote:
Are the Data Underlying the U.S. Dietary Guidelines Flawed?
Opposing Views Regarding the Validity of Widely-Cited What We Eat in America and NHANES Dietary Data Presented in Mayo Clinic Proceedings
Rochester, MN, June 9, 2015 – U.S. government-issued dietary recommendations continue to evolve over time. In a special article published in Mayo Clinic Proceedings, an obesity theorist and cardiovascular health researchers claim that the main source of dietary information used by the U.S. Government’s 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) is scientifically flawed because the underlying data are primarily informed by memory-based dietary assessment methods (M-BMs) (eg, interviews and surveys). In an editorial response nutrition experts suggest that the purported flaws are well-appreciated by nutritional researchers and can be mitigated by using multiple data sources, resulting in valid data.
The data under scrutiny come from the “What We Eat in America” and the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (WWEIA/NHANES), a five-decade long study of American’s diet and exercise behaviors. In this case the standard M-BMs employed include asking participants to recall what they consumed during the last 24 hours (24HRs) as well as completion of food frequency questionnaires (FFQs). It is the authors’ contention that these data suffer from five major and potentially fatal flaws.
Lead author Edward Archer, PhD, of the Office of Energetics, Nutrition Obesity Research Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, and co-authors Gregory Pavela, PhD, and Carl J. Lavie, MD, from the Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, John Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute, Ochsner Clinical School - the University of Queensland School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, present a large body of evidence to support their conclusions:
1. The vast majority of the WWEIA/NHANES data are physiologically implausible (i.e., incompatible with life) and therefore are not valid estimates of food and beverage consumption.
2. Human memory and recall are too inaccurate and imprecise to be used as tools to collect scientific data.
3. The protocols used in WWEIA/NHANES mimic protocols known to induce false memory and recall.
4. Mental phenomena such as memories of food and beverage consumption are inadmissible as scientific

evidence because they cannot be independently observed, measured, or falsified.
5. Physical activity, cardio-respiratory fitness and exercise are major determinants of health and are largely ignored or improperly measured by federally funded nutrition researchers.
According to Dr. Archer, “Our work indicates there is no scientific foundation to past or present U.S. Dietary Guidelines. This finding may explain why nutrition recommendations are continually changing and the average consumer is confused as to what constitutes a healthy diet.”
In an accompanying editorial, Brenda M. Davy, PhD, RD, and Paul A. Estabrooks, PhD, both from the Department of Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise, Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, VA, provide empirical evidence that recall measures can be scientifically sound. They present a different perspective that values multiple forms of evidence to determine the scientific appropriateness of measurement instruments, including predictive validity, sensitivity to change, feasibility, and actionability.
“Attempting to develop recommendations to improve health is a complex enterprise due to the interactive nature of genetics, environmental factors, and individual behavior; however, one thing is clear—behaviors matter,” Dr. Davy and Dr. Estabrooks explain. “The body of research that contributed to these findings includes a variety of scientific approaches that range from retrospective and prospective epidemiologic studies to randomized controlled trials. One consistency across scientific inquiry and behavioral domains is that participant recall has been used as a representation of behavior.” They note that the authors of the special article and others have used participant recall to draw conclusions about other aspects of diet and exercise.
In conclusion Dr. Davy and Dr. Estabrooks maintain that “To argue that these data represent a waste of resources, while concurrently citing scientific findings where those same data collection methods were used to demonstrate the importance of diet and activity in health, is scientific doublespeak—and an impediment to scientific progress in obesity and nutrition research.”

Article in Nature: http://www.nature.com/news/dietary-...eliable-1.17730

Science Daily: http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...50609113705.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 10:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Are the Data Underlying the U.S. Dietary Guidelines Flawed?

Ya think?

Sorry, sarcastic comment slipped out there. Now I"ll go actually read the posting!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 11:03

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

From the Nature article:

But Brenda Davy, a clinical nutritionist at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, writes in an editorial accompanying the paper that although self-reports are imperfect, they have helped to uncover important nutritional knowledge such as the link between fat intake and heart disease.

LMFAO! Exactly, this is just the kind of 'knowledge' they end up with from this kind of crap data.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 02:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

that was a good one. Not only did responders somewhat underreport their food intake, but to an extent so Implausible it was Incompatible with Life, and you can bet that under reported Fat Intake. In the 16 week diet study I was in in 1995, we had to recall the past two months of food, I certainly didnt admit to every Oreo and potato chip at the start. The next two M-BMs we had the advantage of a daily written food dairy in front of us to fill them out. But still the questions are confusing, inconsistent, and the form so long that by the half way point I was bubbling in any answer that seemed plausible...but now I learn they weren't so much

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jun-15-15 at 05:16.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 10:58

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I once filled out those forms for an online study. I found them surprisingly difficult, even without the problems of trying to remember what I'd eaten over the last few weeks. They'd ask the same things in different ways and though I was trying to be as honest as I could I would find myself honestly confused about how to answer some of it. And yes, the forms were way too long and tedious to fill out.

Of course, now that I track everything in Fitday I'd be a champion at filling out that survey.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 11:35

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I participated in the study of people who successfully lost weight and then maintained it. There was a lengthy questionaire to fill out. It was tedious and confusing and clearly not constructed with low carb diets in mind. I did this for a few years and then quit since I not only found the questionaire difficult and badly constructed for my diet but I had also thrown out my scale so I couldn't even answer questions about my weight. There was no where to just check "my clothes fit the same". Also when they started reporting on some of their results it was clear that their conclusions were just the same old same old low calorie low fat have to weigh yourself daily and exercise advise. Since that's the advice that is most widely disseminated it isn't a surprise that most successful dieters who maintain their weight loss follow that advice. I realized that my information was just buried in the mix. I lost weight and maintained the loss without doing any of those things. I stopped participating.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-15, 11:31

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I started a 6 or 8-week food diary for some study years ago. It was so difficult to put in food accurately that I gave up and never sent it in. At the time I was obese and my eating was out of control, but I don't think I would have admitted that. I was so good at lying to myself, I'm sure I was lying about the food I listed.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 09:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I had a bulemia problem, so I know how much I ate during binges. But what baffled me, after conquering that problem, was that I honestly didn't eat any more than other people my age and height, and I exercised more than they did, and I was still overweight.

There never used to be any metabolic acknowledgement of it. And everyone assumed I was lying about my intake.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 09:45

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I did some quick math a while back and figured out the official guidelines say to eat about 5 lbs of food every day. 5 lbs. Every day. Of course the data that led to this official guideline is flawed.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 11:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I did some quick math a while back and figured out the official guidelines say to eat about 5 lbs of food every day. 5 lbs. Every day. Of course the data that led to this official guideline is flawed.

Holy moly - that's a lot of food! I may have eaten that much - or even more - on my binging days, but nowhere near that now.

I suppose a lot of that is vegetable foods. Since I don't eat any grains, very little fruit and not much more vegetable, I think it would be hard to eat 5 pounds worth of eggs & meat in a day.

Tho some days the extra food can be tempting. I've got the remains of a lc custard in the fridge now that we started eating on Thursday. It looks like it will last another couple days. The next time I make it, I'm cutting the recipe in half.