Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 08:58

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Amy Berger has an excellent blog which I've been frequenting for almost a year. She provides very detailed information and actively updates her blog with new information. Good recommendation.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 14:57

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 125/124/124 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

I just found this forum.

I have Multiple Myeloma - had bone marrow transplant in 2012 (also called Stem Cell Transplant) and my cancer was not in remission until April 2014. I talked to my oncologist and said I had heard rumors that not eating sugar helped cancer. He said yes, but it is not JUST the sugar you eat - it is your blood sugar. Keep your blood glucose low and steady and it will help prolong remission. Go find a good diabetes diet and follow it. I went home and ordered "Diabetes Diet" by Dr Bernstein. It was hard to follow at first, so I did a lot of internet studies on cancer and blood glucose. I have gradually moved to a ketogenic diet and my cancer has been steady for over a year.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 15:06

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 125/124/124 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

I was excited to see names that I recognized were mentioned in this forum - I have seen videos of Dr Eugene Fine teaching and I have read Dr Georgia Ede's website - both were excellent.
It is encouraging to share info!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 15:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a good doctor.

I'm glad this is working for you.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 15:21

BF:

Dr. Edes is a good read. It's good to see her posting again.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 17:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Antelope,

Have you also found Dr Colin Champ? http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2013/0...ancer/#comments

And the Ketogenic Diet Resource? http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com I have a copy of her book Fighting Cancer if you want to know more about it. It is basically a simple, practical guide to Dr Seyfried's protocol.

Glad you found your way to this forum,
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 18:35

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm so impressed by his story, but can't quite get my head around eating insects! The idea of cricket flour just gives me the shivers! I wish I liked meat better too - but I'm not a huge meat fan, and I don;t care for bone broth. Glad it's working so well for him!

Had a friend die of brain cancer last year, and another who was just diagnosed with it a few months ago. Sad and scary.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-15, 10:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Found some scary stats:

Quote:
In adults, the number of brain tumor cases in the U.S. and Europe has increased by up to 40% over the past 20 years. The rates have increased among people of all ages, but males between the ages of 20 and 40 are the most affected (Lorenzi 2003). Brain cancers are the third leading cause of cancer death in young adults ages 20-39 (Ries et al. 1999).

Many scientists believe that the reported increase in brain tumors is due to improved detection of the disease through use of CT (computerized tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) (Smith et al. 1998; Smith et al. 2000). These scientists point particularly to the increases in diagnosed brain tumors in the elderly and contend that in the past these tumors would never have been diagnosed. Other scientists argue that the increase is not likely to be fully explained by improved diagnosis, especially in children, because in young people brain tumors do not go undetected for very long, regardless of the method used (Kaiser 1999). Moreover, the increase appears to have continued for many years (Bleyer 1999). If the increase were due entirely to improved detection, one might expect to see a plateau and then a reduction in new cases once the better detection method is adopted.

Brain Cancer: Peer Reviewed Analysis

Low carb and ketosis will help a lot.

I've also become something of an EMF-cautious type of person. I use my cell phone on speaker or use air earbuds. We have a Schumann resonance generator in the house, which increased my and my husband's sleep by two hours per night. (And he didn't know it was in the house for the first week!)
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-15, 12:14

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Yeah those are scary stats. Taubes often explains obesity as part of a cluster of disorders with the implication that there is a common cause. If it's a cluster, and if there is a common cause, then it's reasonable to assume if one increases, the others will increase too.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-15, 12:44

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope
I just found this forum.

I have Multiple Myeloma - had bone marrow transplant in 2012 (also called Stem Cell Transplant) and my cancer was not in remission until April 2014. I talked to my oncologist and said I had heard rumors that not eating sugar helped cancer. He said yes, but it is not JUST the sugar you eat - it is your blood sugar. Keep your blood glucose low and steady and it will help prolong remission. Go find a good diabetes diet and follow it. I went home and ordered "Diabetes Diet" by Dr Bernstein. It was hard to follow at first, so I did a lot of internet studies on cancer and blood glucose. I have gradually moved to a ketogenic diet and my cancer has been steady for over a year.

My brother was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma 7 or 8 years ago. He went on a meat only diet and has taken no drugs or treatments. He has now stopped seeing doctors as well. He's 57, an avid cyclist and works full-time. Works for him apparently.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-15, 18:31

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Another brain cancer ketogenic diet story -

http://www.stephanieperson.com/stephanies-bio/

Ugh that quote breaks my heart because my grandmother died of GBM. She lasted the standard 6 months in partial resection and radio-therapy.
She was 74, so it isn't as if she didn't live a full life, and is living to 84 (the age she'd be now) instead of 74 worth it? I can't answer that, but it the 'what if' is still depressing.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-15, 08:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
My brother was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma 7 or 8 years ago. He went on a meat only diet and has taken no drugs or treatments. He has now stopped seeing doctors as well. He's 57, an avid cyclist and works full-time. Works for him apparently.

How wonderful! What inspired him to take this tack?
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-15, 09:14

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

He had already switched to low carb shortly before he was diagnosed. He'd met some zero-carb people and decided to try it out. He had his blood checked yearly and found the disease was not progressing at all. So decided to continue eating that way and stopped seeing his doctor. He also felt a lot better on all meat. His menu is raw ground beef, raw bacon and sometimes eggs.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 05:58

BF:

Disrupting cells' 'powerhouses' can lead to tumor growth, study finds

Quote:
Cancer cells defy the rules by which normal cells abide. They can divide without cease, invade distant tissues and consume glucose at abnormal rates.

Now a study by University of Pennsylvania researchers implicates defects in mitochondria, the energy-production centers of cells, as playing a key role in the transition from normal to cancerous. When the Penn scientists disrupted a key component of mitochondria, otherwise normal cells took on characteristics of cancerous tumor cells.

The research is published in the journal Oncogene and was led by members of the lab of Narayan G. Avadhani, the Harriet Ellison Woodward Professor of Biochemistry in Penn's School of Veterinary Medicine's Department of Biomedical Sciences, in collaboration with the lab of Hiroshi Nakagawa from the Gastroenterology Division in Penn's Perelman School of Medicine. Satish Srinivasan, a research investigator in Avadhani's lab, was the lead author. Manti Guha, Dawei Dong and Gordon Ruthel of Penn Vet and Kelly A. Whelan of Penn Medicine also contributed, along with Yasuto Uchikado and Shoji Natsugoe of Japan's Kagoshima University.

In 1924, German biologist Otto Heinrich Warburg observed that cancerous cells consumed glucose at a higher rate than normal cells and had defects in their "grana," the organelles that are now known as mitochondria. He postulated that the mitochondrial defects led to problems in the process by which the cell produces energy, called oxidative phosphorylation, and that these defects contributed to the cells becoming cancerous.

"The first part of the Warburg hypothesis has held up solidly in that most proliferating tumors show high dependence on glucose as an energy source and they release large amounts of lactic acid," Avadhani said. "But the second part, about the defective mitochondrial function causing cells to be tumorigenic, has been highly contentious."

To see whether the second part of Warburg's postulation was correct, the Penn-led research team took cell lines from the skeleton, kidney, breast and esophagus and used RNA molecules to silence the expression of select components of the mitochondrias' cytochrome oxidase C, or CcO, a critical enzyme involved in oxidative phosphorylation. CcO uses oxygen to make water and set up a transmembrane potential that is used to synthesize ATP, the molecule used for energy by the body's cells.

The biologists observed that disrupting only a single protein subunit of cytochrome oxidase C led to major changes in the mitochondria and in the cells themselves.

"These cells showed all the characteristics of cancer cells," Avadhani said.

They displayed changes in their metabolism, becoming more reliant on glucose and reducing their synthesis of ATP. Instead of conducting oxidative phosphorylation, they largely switched over to conducting glycolysis, a less efficient means of making ATP that is common in cancer cells.

The cells lost contact inhibition and gained an increased ability to invade distant tissues, both "hallmarks of cancer cells," Avadhani noted. When they were grown in a 3D medium, which closely mimics the natural environment in which tumors grow in the body, the cells with disrupted mitochondria formed large, long-lived colonies, akin to tumors.

The researchers also silenced cytochrome oxidase C subunits in an already-tumorigenic breast and esophageal cancer cell lines.

"We found that the cells became even more invasive, heightening their malignant potency," Srinivasan said.

Finally the Penn team looked at actual tumors from human patients and found that the most oxygen-starved regions, which are common in tumors, contained defective versions of cytochrome oxidase.

"That result alone couldn't tell us whether that was the cause or effect of tumors, but our cell system clearly says that mitochondrial dysfunction is a driving force in tumorigenesis," Avadhani said.

The researchers observed that disrupting CcO triggered the mitochondria to activate a stress signal to the nucleus, akin to an "SOS" alerting the cell that something is amiss. Avadhani and his colleagues had previously seen a similar pathway activated in cells with depleted mitochondrial DNA, which is also linked to cancer.

Building on these findings, Avadhani and members of his lab will examine whether inhibiting components of this mitochondrial stress signaling pathway might be a strategy for preventing cancer progression.

"We are targeting the signaling pathway, developing a lot of small molecules and antibodies," Avadhani said. "Hopefully if you block the signaling the cells will not go into the so called oncogenic mode and instead would simply die."

In addition, they noted that looking for defects in cytochrome oxidase C could be a biomarker for cancer screening.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...50708151227.htm
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 07:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
His menu is raw ground beef, raw bacon and sometimes eggs.

MMMM. Living on steak tartare...

I admit I like my burgers rare. But not my bacon.

I had a cancer scare several years back, and after looking up the stats, I decided I would skip "treatment" which was tortuous and had a 1-2% chance of success, and go all meat. It didn't come to that, but I'm so happy it worked out for your brother.