Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:17
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #5

Wow nice new place to continue our journey as Hard Core A '72 Warriors!

Pull up a comfy chair and let's chat!

Last edited by Just Jo : Sat, May-23-15 at 16:32.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:21
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Original Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution (1972)

Original Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
NOTE: Bantam edition / September 1972 paperback
Quote:
Not sixty grams of carbohydrate on this diet but zero grams. During the first week on this diet, you cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero.

This creates a unique chemical situation in the body, the one favorable to the fastest possible burning of your body’s stored fat. Ketones are excreted, and hunger disappears. You see, the first fuel your body burns for energy comes from the carbohydrates you eat and drink. If any carbohydrate is available, your body burns this rather than stored fat-and maintains its old metabolic pathways. But carbohydrates, as such, are not stored in the body beyond forty-eight hours. So when no carbohydrate is taken in, your body must draw upon the major reserve source of fuel-the stored fat.
It is forced to take a different metabolic pathway. In this process your body converts from being a carbohydrate-burning engine.

This is The Diet Revolution: the new chemical situation in which ketones are being thrown off-and so are those unwanted pounds, all without hunger. A gradual addition of carbohydrate to keep your body burning it’s fat as fuel. We must maintain this chemical situation if you’re to continue to lose without hunger. And if we add carbohydrate very gradually in tiny amounts-we can do just this… keep your body converted into a fat-burning engine. So that is just what we do. The second week you might add a few grams of carbohydrate to your diet.

Every week thereafter a little more carbohydrate (around five grams) may be returned to the diet.

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One):

1. Don’t count calories
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don’t feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie free beverages as thirst requires. Don’t restrict fluids… but it is not necessary to force them either.
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Every day, take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on “low-calorie” drinks, syrups, desserts. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list:

(Sometimes a single stick of chewing gum, or putting milk in your coffee could put you right back to level one by upsetting the new chemical balance in your body. Yes, even that much carbohydrate can turn off your fat mobilizing hormone.)

Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”

Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing

Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners

Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee

*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, tea and diet colas, which contain caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.

Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, mussels, scallops, and pickled fish

Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations

Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.

Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans-fat, oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).

Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime

Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.

Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)

Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.

Last edited by Just Jo : Mon, May-25-15 at 06:06. Reason: Option O: Operator Errors...don't you just HATE those too??
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:22
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default A Tablespoonful Of Potato Salad Can Slow You Down!

Dr. Atkins' quote - straight from the '72 book - pg 154
Quote:

"Unless you're one of these hard-core unfortunates,you can drop weight fast as well as euphorically on this diet...as long as you keep those carbohydrates at arm's length. But if you're off-again-on-again with carbohydrates you'll get nowhere fast. Those who think, "Well it can't do much harm if I go off the diet just for dinner," are due for a nasty surprise on the scales next morning.
It is my observation that a patient who takes in seventy-five grams of carbohydrate (the amount in one wedge of pecan pie) will gain back two to three pounds.

As the Ketostix will tell you by refusing to change color, even a tablespoonful of potato salad can throw off the entire new fat-burning chemical balance you have been working to achieve."

Last edited by Just Jo : Mon, May-25-15 at 06:06. Reason: Option O: Operator Errors...don't you just HATE those too??
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:23
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Dr. Atkins on Calories:

Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution
1972 p.275
Quote:
Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger.

Last edited by Just Jo : Mon, May-25-15 at 06:07. Reason: Option O: Operator Errors...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:25
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Dr. Atkins on Alcohol from his A '72 book:

Quote:
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ALCOHOL

Let's talk about alcohol, because for many of my patients this is the number one problem in weight control.

We live in a society where drinking is so much a part of our way of life that it is much harder to turn down a drink than a dessert - even if we like desserts better.

Yet alcohol is a powerful deterrent to a low-carbohydrate diet. If you've read about the Drinking Man's Diet, you know that alcohol is not usually considered a true carbohydrate. And if you enjoy a sociable drink, you will hit upon that fact to justify adding alcohol to your diet.

But this is one diet where alcohol acts just like a carbohydrate. It makes your body discharge insulin and stops you from putting out FMH (fat mobilizing hormone).

There is no hard-and-fast rule about how much alcohol converts into gram-equivalents of carbohydrate, because there is remarkable individual variation in this department.

But this rule of thumb that I use represents the best average value: For every ounce of 100-proof spirits count 20 grams (carbs). In other words, one ounce of 84-proof Scotch might be thought of as 16.8 grams of carbs. Or four ounces of 24-proof wine might be counted as 19.2 grams of carbs.
This is pure alcohol equivalents. If drinking beer, remember there are actual carbohydrates in that too! So you are getting a LOT more carbs.

Even though the alcohol may not kick you out of ketosis, the lingering effects of it may last for days. Remember that your body uses alcohol first over any other nutrient, and while it is burning the alcohol, it is NOT burning fat.

Last edited by Just Jo : Mon, Jun-22-15 at 06:08.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:26
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Sugar Alcohols

Sugar Alcohols

Consumption of sugar alcohols does affect blood sugar levels, although less than that of "regular" sugar (sucrose). Sugar alcohols may also cause bloating and diarrhea when consumed in excessive amounts. Some people it doesn't have to be excessive amounts to cause these side effects.

They are found in all kinds of sugar free products including but not limited to chewing gum, candies, LC shakes, LC bars etc. Here is a list of sugar alcohols, there are probably more.

Arabitol
Erythritol
Fucitol
Galactitol
Glycerol
Iditol
Inositol
Isomalt
Lactitol
Maltitol
Maltotetraitol
Maltotriitol
Mannitol
Polyglycitol
Ribitol
Sorbitol
Threitol
Volemitol
Xylitol

When you're considering foods with low- or reduced-calorie sweeteners, always check the Nutrition Facts on the label. Many of the food products containing these types of sweeteners may still have a significant amount of carbs.

When I look at a nutrition facts label I always avoid anything that has an -tol at the end of it (I'm not going to memorize that LIST!!) because that's usually a sugar alcohol and for some of us, we process them exactly like carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:30
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Okay done with the regular housekeeping chores, etc! Let the games begin!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:32

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Howdy

Thanks for opening #5, I always like re-reading the rules to keep my butt in line!!!

Right now I am sipping some chicken broth while Hubby is eating his carby meal.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:40
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
Howdy

Thanks for opening #5, I always like re-reading the rules to keep my butt in line!!!

Right now I am sipping some chicken broth while Hubby is eating his carby meal.
I think we all need to re-read all the rules! We tend to forget some of that stuff.

One of my favorite piece is the one titled: "A Tablespoonful Of Potato Salad Can Slow You Down!" That's one of my go-to reads when "Fat Jo" tries to tempt me to eat carb-age!

That's why I find that part in the article Aloha 1430 posted about "...to encourage the whoosh: you should have a large, carb-heavy meal" so off track from what Dr. A said.

Enjoy your chicken broth, my friend!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 16:45

Plan: zc A72 hardcore
Stats: 183/150.6/135 Female 5'5" short legs & waist
BF:way too fat
Progress: 68%

Thanks Jo for starting this new thread and copying everything! I was really afraid my low tech skills would make it impossible for me to find this thread.
By the way, the only kind of Oncology Nurses there are the smart, caring kind.
I am so glad I'm not the only diet coke drinker. Rather not give it up since I don't care for coffee or tea. I certainly don't suffer from low BS! Be well, Annie
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 17:00

Plan: zc A72 hardcore
Stats: 183/150.6/135 Female 5'5" short legs & waist
BF:way too fat
Progress: 68%

Hello, Kimber. You seem to be quite smart and devoted, as well. When I worked Critical Care, if we got an oncology patient on chemo, one of the oncology nurse would come in and handle the chemo, since the Oncology nurses were certified.
Think you made a wonderful choice. Be well, Annie
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 17:07
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm annie
Thanks Jo for starting this new thread and copying everything! I was really afraid my low tech skills would make it impossible for me to find this thread.
By the way, the only kind of Oncology Nurses there are the smart, caring kind.
I am so glad I'm not the only diet coke drinker. Rather not give it up since I don't care for coffee or tea. I certainly don't suffer from low BS! Be well, Annie
No worries about starting the new thread! We need this place so we can continue to support and encourage each other as well as our Warrior-dom!

Nursing to me is much like teaching... we're under paid over worked, but we can't see ourselves doing ANYTHING else!!! Cause the rewards are priceless!

I'll go back to drinkin' my dt sodas when I can carry my 2 liter bottles to my truck!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 17:11
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Wow can you believe we start a new thread almost every 2 months.

Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #4 was started on my twin brother's bday back on 29 March!

What can you say, we're a bunch of posters!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-23-15, 17:29

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thank you JUST JO for posting all the pertinent info on the A-72 lifestyle and starting this new thread.

I have a comment on the whole WHOOSH theory. I DO believe that your body goes into periods when it holds onto water to replace lost fat. After being on this diet for over a year, I have experienced this phenomenon many times. But I thoroughly disagree with the CARB LOADING theory. It MAY be true for someone on a REGULAR caloric restriction diet, when they continue to eat carbs, but for a person on a KETOGENIC diet such as ours, it is not something to be considered. Pounding down a ton of carbs to promote a whoosh is very counteractive. It will stop ketosis, and then we must work for days to try and retain our metabolic state. If you are retaining water because of fat loss, your body is going to whoosh eventually, and there is no need to carb load! Like I said, after being on this diet for over a year, I have experienced this many times. And I have never carb loaded. Bodies lose as they see fit. As long as you are eating on-plan and not cheating, your weight loss will always be on a downward trend. Some days are up, some days are down, but it is always rolling downhill. My weight loss chart looks like a roller coaster! Here is a graphic:

So all you Warriors, just keep eating your Warrior diet, and don't even think of carb loading. It is unnecessary and only an unproven theory. My chart speaks for itself. Weight loss is NOT linear. It is always up & down. Keep doing what you are doing and you will see results. No carbs necessary!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 03:36

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Good Sunday Morning Hard Core Warriors

Thank You Very Much Jo for starting our new thread and posting all of Dr. Atkins pertinent Information.😀

Weight: weigh-in May 27th. Can you believe it has been a month since I broke my leg!

Yesterday: Got work from Vet. Filing and organizing fur patients charts. I can work on this at home. Once two legged I can walk pets and help out on Satirdays. Spoke to DS girlfriend she got a part-time waitress job in Burlington to work in the afternoon after summer school get out. June 4th last day of school here. She was telling me that they put sugar in the water to boil the corn. Also they wash the lettuce in sugar water for the salad bar to perk it up😡😁. I stay away from anything at restaurants so not worth it! Plus I save a ton of money.

Today: I am going to work on house cleaning then sleep I still feel yucky so Rest and Relax day😀😎.

Positive thoughts to all fellow warriors. Today is a new beginning with infinite possibilities if you choose to do it.
Closed Thread