Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 03:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Congratulations, Bucket.
In my post #8, I mentioned a warning. Please read this now!
It depends on the type of diabetes medications you are taking, but good changes with LC can happen very quickly, and you have to be cautious about BG going too low. 92 is perfect but getting shakes on the first day indicates you need to monitor closely which you are doing, so keep up the good work.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=452693 Or
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/...r-hypoglycemia/

The DietDoctor summary on Diabetes has the same warning with his diet, this is a very helpful article with some good videos too: http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, May-26-15 at 03:45.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 12:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/242/160 Male 69 inches (5'9")
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you for the information

Unfortunately, my meds are glyburide 5mg/metformin 500mg

I debated calling my doctor, but he is a skeptic. He is also under the impression that diabetes can't be cured. I like him even though he thinks that diabetes is terminal. He's been my family doc for 15 years. However, I don't believe he remembers emailing me when I lost all that weight on a low fat diet. He was dumbfounded, and told me that we could take me off of metformin (was just that at the time).

I will remind him in a week's time, because the numbers (I'm going to figure) will stay low. Meanwhile, I will keep testing before each meal. It was 155 this morning when I woke up.

Checked just now, and it's 100 flat, after 2 boiled eggs, 2 fried eggs, and 4 strips of bacon. lol
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 14:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sounds like there's a little enthusiasm bubbling up. Am I right?
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 14:49

BF:
Progress:

It's friggin awesome!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 04:07

Great news Jason,
The energy and mental clarity most feel after a few days when they switch from a sugar-burner to a "fat-burning beast" is awesome. Even though you'll feel so much better, keep taking your BG and adjusting the meds as needed. Do not hesitate to call your doctor anytime with a low reading. You have improved your diet, he needs to just deal with it and adjust the proper level of medication.

Hope to see you around the various forums. There are years of simple "recipes" collected here (try crackslaw, whole family will like it) newbie tips (make sure you are getting enough salt, two cups of salted broth a day is good) and much great advice to help you on your journey to good health.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-27-15 at 09:14.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 09:01

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Unfortunately, my meds are glyburide 5mg/metformin 500mg

I debated calling my doctor, but he is a skeptic. He is also under the impression that diabetes can't be cured. I like him even though he thinks that diabetes is terminal. He's been my family doc for 15 years. However, I don't believe he remembers emailing me when I lost all that weight on a low fat diet. He was dumbfounded, and told me that we could take me off of metformin (was just that at the time).

I will remind him in a week's time, because the numbers (I'm going to figure) will stay low. Meanwhile, I will keep testing before each meal. It was 155 this morning when I woke up.

Checked just now, and it's 100 flat, after 2 boiled eggs, 2 fried eggs, and 4 strips of bacon. lol

You have to understand docs never see motivated people. My mother's doctor has been practicing for years and years (he's in his 70's). When she was able to drop one of her blood pressure meds he told her he'd NEVER had a patient get off of any blood pressure meds, EVER. That is what most docs are dealing with in their practice, not guys who are involved in stewarding their own health. He'll see it in three months when you go in for your A1C.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-15, 09:10

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
You have to understand docs never see motivated people. My mother's doctor has been practicing for years and years (he's in his 70's). When she was able to drop one of her blood pressure meds he told her he'd NEVER had a patient get off of any blood pressure meds, EVER. That is what most docs are dealing with in their practice, not guys who are involved in stewarding their own health. He'll see it in three months when you go in for your A1C.

My blood sugar last night before bed was 79. It's currently 125. so I took my meds. Instead of 2 pills I will reduce it to 1 pill, or just not take it. I went 3 days without at dinner time, because I was below 125.

I don't like it being that high when I have been normal the entire day.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-15, 10:01

Jason,

I hope you have been reading the Diabetes Forum linked before. Not only the warnings about adjusting your meds without medical guidance, but there are also some good ones on Glucose meters and readings. The tiny drop of blood from a home meter can easily have an error margin of 10%, 20% is allowed. There are about three dozen reasons BG can vary...exercise, stress, sleep quality, artifical sweeteners, etc. 125 may not have been that "high" really and conversely the 79 might really have been skirting a too low reading.

Check out these reasons:
http://diatribe.org/issues/68/adams-corner
There is a good thread on the Diabetes forum re accuracy of meters. As said before, you are safer with an excursion on the high side than a low...and 125 is not that high.

You are doing great, and it is true some people come off diabetes medications very rapidly, but an 88 caused shakes a few days ago, test often and if any questions, please check with your doctor. Cheers,
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-15, 12:41

BF:
Progress:

I have contacted my doc, and am waiting for his nurse to call back. I'll be happy with just a reduction. But I am wary of that.

My mother was like 'You read this on a doctor's website? You know that they can be lying to you, and not even be a doctor. After all, it IS the Internet! Take your meds like your doctor prescribed! I don't care what your blood sugar meter says.'
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-15, 15:46

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
I don't care what your blood sugar meter says.'
Well, your mom is half right. You shouldn't take advice from the internet. There are some very reliable and knowledgeable people on this site, but supervision by a medical professional is the bottom line. Be careful, and take care of you.

What Janet said.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 14:43

BF:
Progress:

Blood sugar currently 70's to 80's. I take 1 pill of my sugar meds, when they are over 140 in the morning after much better sleep... I've been stable, and have not needed sugar meds for about 3 weeks now. Woohoo!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 15:52

WooHoo Indeed!!
Jason
You have had fast progress...but keep working with your doctor about the medication doses. Amazing you have taken no diabetes meds for three weeks.
Have you felt any improvement in the neuropathy? Something to consider and check with your doctor is supplementing with B vitamins, esp B12, and Omega 3s.

I know you put your progress in the signature, but also go into the UserCP and change the "current weight" ...both Kudos for you, and it helps others answer your questions. Hope you are checking the Diabetes sub-forum too.
Cheers,

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jun-15-15 at 04:01.