Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 08:40
Robin120's Avatar
Robin120 Robin120 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 3,850
 
Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%
Location: DC
Default

last night while we were making dinner, the dog was giving us big, sad boxer sorrowful look:
fiance: "Sorry Buddy- mommy got the fancy bacon; it's people bacon....."
(i buy applegate farms)
hahahaha!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 09:27
mviesprite's Avatar
mviesprite mviesprite is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 11,697
 
Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 182.5/166.5/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 21%
Location: Phoenix area, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
last night while we were making dinner, the dog was giving us big, sad boxer sorrowful look:
fiance: "Sorry Buddy- mommy got the fancy bacon; it's people bacon....."
(i buy applegate farms)
hahahaha!

Ha!
I am house/pet sitting long term now and have turkey bacon to use up...just not the same...but of course I'll use it...
Kat
Reply With Quote
  #93   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 10:14
mviesprite's Avatar
mviesprite mviesprite is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 11,697
 
Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 182.5/166.5/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 21%
Location: Phoenix area, AZ
Default

I just copied this from MizKitty's J:

CHEESE AND PIG STICKS
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/a...pig-sticks.html

Prep Time: 10 Min Cook Time: 25 Min Cooking Method: Bake

Ingredients:
cheese sticks
thin sliced ham
bacon

Kat
Reply With Quote
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 13:06
Kristine's Avatar
Kristine Kristine is offline
Forum Moderator
Posts: 17,935
 
Plan: Primal
Stats: 165/149/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Default

That link didn't work for me, but I searched and found it here. It looks fantastic! I think this is something I'd take to a family gathering.

My new favorite thing with bacon is to cook it well-done and use it as a dipper for guacamole. The combo is really nice with the salty bacon and bland guac.
Reply With Quote
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 15:22
mviesprite's Avatar
mviesprite mviesprite is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 11,697
 
Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 182.5/166.5/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 21%
Location: Phoenix area, AZ
Default

OK nobody vote me off the thread for this but I just found a recipe in a raw foods cook book for eggplant "bacon"...sounds good to me - not a sub for the real thing of course but it sounds like it turns out pretty darn good...

I am always looking at diversity in my food and getting more of the lower carb veggies in.
Kat
Reply With Quote
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 15:42
Meme#1's Avatar
Meme#1 Meme#1 is offline
Posts: 7,523
 
Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/183/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviesprite
OK nobody vote me off the thread for this but I just found a recipe in a raw foods cook book for eggplant "bacon"...sounds good to me - not a sub for the real thing of course but it sounds like it turns out pretty darn good...

I am always looking at diversity in my food and getting more of the lower carb veggies in.
Kat

What's the recipe?
Reply With Quote
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 18:30
pazia pazia is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 374
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:
Default

I like bacon curls -- cut up a strip of bacon into 3 or 4 pieces, then curl them up (doesn't have to be perfect, I like them loose and messy!) and bake. Crispy little clumps of bacon as an appetizer, for dips, or on top of salads.

Bacon-wrapped chunks of roasted root veggies is good too -- beets, winter squash, celeriac.

And bacon-wrapped scallops (or shrimp) of course, pork and seafood seems to be such a happy combo.
Reply With Quote
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 20:20
mviesprite's Avatar
mviesprite mviesprite is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 11,697
 
Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 182.5/166.5/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 21%
Location: Phoenix area, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What's the recipe?

You need a dehydrator for this. I wonder if you could just put them out in the sun, on a screen? Not that anybody here will make it - they'll just go buy bacon

Eggplant bacon from Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenney

1 lg eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 T sea salt
1/2 dried chipotle chile, soaked at least 2 hours
1/2 c soaking water from chipotle chile
2 T maple syrup
1 T olive oil
2 T nama shoyu (or soy sauce)
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
pinch black pepper
pinch cayenne

Toss eggplant and sea salt in a lg bowl and let sit 1 - 2 hours. Blend remaining ingredients in a Vita-mix and place in med bowl. Squeeze liquid from eggplant and add slices to bowl with marinade. Allow eggplant to marinate 30 - 45 min. Spread slices on dehydrator screens. Dehydrate 24 -36 hours, until crisp and cut into desired sizes. Yield 15 - 20
Reply With Quote
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 20:22
mviesprite's Avatar
mviesprite mviesprite is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 11,697
 
Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 182.5/166.5/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 21%
Location: Phoenix area, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
I like bacon curls -- cut up a strip of bacon into 3 or 4 pieces, then curl them up (doesn't have to be perfect, I like them loose and messy!) and bake. Crispy little clumps of bacon as an appetizer, for dips, or on top of salads.

Bacon-wrapped chunks of roasted root veggies is good too -- beets, winter squash, celeriac.

And bacon-wrapped scallops (or shrimp) of course, pork and seafood seems to be such a happy combo.

Yum! I love bacon wrapped scallops...
Kat
Reply With Quote
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 22:29
Meme#1's Avatar
Meme#1 Meme#1 is offline
Posts: 7,523
 
Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/183/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviesprite
You need a dehydrator for this. I wonder if you could just put them out in the sun, on a screen? Not that anybody here will make it - they'll just go buy bacon

Eggplant bacon from Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenney

1 lg eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 T sea salt
1/2 dried chipotle chile, soaked at least 2 hours
1/2 c soaking water from chipotle chile
2 T maple syrup
1 T olive oil
2 T nama shoyu (or soy sauce)
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
pinch black pepper
pinch cayenne

Toss eggplant and sea salt in a lg bowl and let sit 1 - 2 hours. Blend remaining ingredients in a Vita-mix and place in med bowl. Squeeze liquid from eggplant and add slices to bowl with marinade. Allow eggplant to marinate 30 - 45 min. Spread slices on dehydrator screens. Dehydrate 24 -36 hours, until crisp and cut into desired sizes. Yield 15 - 20


That sounds really good but with it coming from a raw food site, I thought for sure it would be raw eggplant with raw bacon somehow
Reply With Quote
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 08:58
Robin120's Avatar
Robin120 Robin120 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 3,850
 
Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%
Location: DC
Default

bacon wrapped scallops and shrimp are soooo good- just shared bacon shrimp last weekend for an appetizer.

dehydrated eggplant sounds really good to me!
I also like this tempeh that is smokey and marinated to taste like bacon- it doesn't taste like bacon at all, but it is delicious in its own right ("fakin bacon").
Reply With Quote
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 09:15
mviesprite's Avatar
mviesprite mviesprite is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 11,697
 
Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 182.5/166.5/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 21%
Location: Phoenix area, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
...dehydrated eggplant sounds really good to me!
I also like this tempeh that is smokey and marinated to taste like bacon- it doesn't taste like bacon at all, but it is delicious in its own right ("fakin bacon").

I love tempeh but it doesn't love me... Liquid smoke aids in making things taste bacon-y or meat-y too...
Kat
Reply With Quote
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-16, 23:03
Meme#1's Avatar
Meme#1 Meme#1 is offline
Posts: 7,523
 
Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/183/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Location: Texas
Default

Bacon dipped in Mayonnaise.
Reply With Quote
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 14:22
pazia pazia is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 374
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:
Default

Bacon dipped in mayo, the low-carb version of "dunking doughnuts"!

How come there aren't any bacon shops like there are countless doughnut shops, with "bacon your way"? I think it would be a hit.
Reply With Quote
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 17:38
MickiSue MickiSue is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 8,006
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default

I scored today at the indoor (even those it was warm, it's not usually, this time of year) organic farmers' market. Both the eggs and the bacon were free range.

As were the rib steaks, but they're not bacon related.

Dinner tonight: chicken breasts, which, you know, are pretty lame. Unless you season them, and wrap them around BACON and chunks of cheddar and bake them till the bacon's crisp and the cheese is all melty delicious.

And start with browned butter for them to sit on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:48.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.