Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 09:45

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Foods to avoid or incorporate?

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid earlier this week by a MD/Alternative-Holistic doctor.

He diagnosed me by history, symptoms and exam. I have started on Armour Thyroid 15mg for 1 week. If I do fine, I will increase to 30 mg for 1 week and have my follow up with him the following week.

I went to him with muscle aches and joint pain. I have been cold natured for a very long time (when others are hot). My hands are frequently cold. My skin is dry and I have had some hair loss that's more than normal.

I started having health problems January of this year and so far blood work, nerve study and brain MRI (possibility of MS) were all normal.

I am not overweight by any means (5' 1/2 and 110#). My mom and dad both had/have thyroid problems.

The main thing he told me diet wise, is to cut back on seeds and nuts. I eat low carbs and of course, nuts, seeds, almond flour are a main stay in my diet.

I have been reading on the internet and getting mixed messages on what to eat and not to eat. I like stir fry vegetables-usually zucchini, cabbage, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, and sometimes a bell pepper. I have read that I shouldn't be eating too much cabbage and zucchini. I can have it, but limit portions and make sure it's cooked. Has anyone been told this or follow this advice? My doctor didn't mention it.

Quote:
Some foods, especially cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower) contain natural goitrogens, compounds that can cause the thyroid gland to enlarge by interfering with thyroid hormone synthesis.

I don't eat soy, but keep reading how soy should be avoided.

Since I eat low carb, I want to stick to that type of lifestyle. I have been eating low carbs for 11 months now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 12:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I do not have a thyroid problem, but remembered that Chris Kresser talked about it. Thought it was weird that vegetables would harm, here it is: http://chriskresser.com/do-raw-vege...thyroid-health/
Does the sticky above here help?

Only somewhat food related, but did the doctor suggest adding iodine? That is a whole 'nother confusing issue with widely conflicting views related to thyroid, but I believe it has helped me avoid low thyroid. I only use natural kelp and follow Dr Davis's dosing advice.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 13:39

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I am hypothyroid and diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease. I found that if I eliminate gluten from my diet the antibodies remain in the normal range. I am on Armour 90 mg and seem to be doing well on it.

As far as the iodine, yes taking it IF low iodine is the problem but it is contraindicated otherwise.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 14:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
I am hypothyroid and diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease. I found that if I eliminate gluten from my diet the antibodies remain in the normal range. I am on Armour 90 mg and seem to be doing well on it.

As far as the iodine, yes taking it IF low iodine is the problem but it is contraindicated otherwise.

I haven't eat gluten for the past 11-12 months, unless something so small was consumed without me knowing it.

I was taking kelp tablets but he had me stop them for right now.

Does anyone mind sharing what foods they tend to eat the most often? Do you stay very low carb like under 40 gram or below 100 grams which is still much lower than the standard American diet.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 14:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

IMHO you shouldn't have to avoid any food unless you're intolerant of it (for thyroid disease). Yes, some foods are goitrogenic, but the effect is mild. Given enough medication, you shouldn't have to worry about it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 14:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
IMHO you shouldn't have to avoid any food unless you're intolerant of it (for thyroid disease). Yes, some foods are goitrogenic, but the effect is mild. Given enough medication, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Thanks, Nancy! I just had my 4th pill today (Armour Thyroid 15 mg), so maybe I will start feeling better soon, but I also know I need to be patient and it will take time.

My main complains are joint pain and muscle aches. I am more fatigued the past 2 weeks are so. I have been cold for as long as I can remember, so I am used to that, but I don't like the pain. That is what I am most anxious to be free from.

I've been dairy free since February 2nd and I gave up aspartame/sucralose 9 weeks ago.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 20:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, remember it takes about 4-6 weeks to build up and 15mg is a tiny, tiny dose.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, remember it takes about 4-6 weeks to build up and 15mg is a tiny, tiny dose.
Yes, I believe on STTM they indicated that a person is usually started on 60 mg and work up from there. My Dr. started me at 90 mg and it seems to be the right amount for me. I did try to up it without telling him but it was too much. He was really upset. This last visit I assured him that I had followed his instructions exactly. He feigned shock that I would. I love him because he listens to me and considers my feelings on my treatment.

P.S. He also advocates LCHF!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 16:52

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Judy, I'm not hypothyroid, but I'm thinking you would get more responses if you click 'edit' and change your title to "Foods to avoid or incorporate for hypothyroid?"

Hope you find some helpful suggestions.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 16:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
Yes, I believe on STTM they indicated that a person is usually started on 60 mg and work up from there. My Dr. started me at 90 mg and it seems to be the right amount for me. I did try to up it without telling him but it was too much. He was really upset. This last visit I assured him that I had followed his instructions exactly. He feigned shock that I would. I love him because he listens to me and considers my feelings on my treatment.

P.S. He also advocates LCHF!

The doctor emphasized that he was starting me out on a small dose, because giving me too much could cause more problems. I do get to increase it to 30mg Thursday, if I don't have any problems before then.

How long did you stay at 60mg before "you" increased it? haha

Did anyone have muscle aches/pain and joint pain? I never connected that with thyroid until someone mentioned it 1 1/2 weeks ago. I came home and Googled it and sure enough that is a symptom. I just have never heard of anyone complaining of those symptoms.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 16:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
Judy, I'm not hypothyroid, but I'm thinking you would get more responses if you click 'edit' and change your title to "Foods to avoid or incorporate for hypothyroid?"

Hope you find some helpful suggestions.

Thank you for that suggestion, but there is no edit button on my original post. Maybe because it is too old?

I can edit the post I just posted minutes ago though, so maybe after a certain time period we aren't able to edit?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-03-15, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyMC
The doctor emphasized that he was starting me out on a small dose, because giving me too much could cause more problems. I do get to increase it to 30mg Thursday, if I don't have any problems before then.

How long did you stay at 60mg before "you" increased it? haha

Did anyone have muscle aches/pain and joint pain? I never connected that with thyroid until someone mentioned it 1 1/2 weeks ago. I came home and Googled it and sure enough that is a symptom. I just have never heard of anyone complaining of those symptoms.
I think it was about a month and then went to one and a half pills which was 135 mg. Shot my t3 high and tsh low.

I have pain off and on. Some of it is my lower back. I'm going to see a Bowen practitioner (it's sort of like acupressure). She really helped with my neck. If it is from thyroid I don't know what I will do as my numbers are now good.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 10:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

If you have hashimotos (which you probably do)...you shouldn't take iodine supplements... Someone else on here can explain. But, below is an article that explains a little...there are many more....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/5...ne-supplements/

I take Armour and graduated up to 90 over some months time. But I do remember how awful I had felt for sooooo long and gainng weight evern at 500 calories a day!! ugggg!! But went of Stillmans and Armour, and also walked alot and I felt soooo much better!! Still don't have a doc that will check everything, and I am tired alot... but much better..... Hope everything works out quickly for you!!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 11:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkelley36
If you have hashimotos (which you probably do)...you shouldn't take iodine supplements... Someone else on here can explain. But, below is an article that explains a little...there are many more....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/5...ne-supplements/

I take Armour and graduated up to 90 over some months time. But I do remember how awful I had felt for sooooo long and gainng weight evern at 500 calories a day!! ugggg!! But went of Stillmans and Armour, and also walked alot and I felt soooo much better!! Still don't have a doc that will check everything, and I am tired alot... but much better..... Hope everything works out quickly for you!!!

I'm not taking my iodine (kelp) supplements. I was before my first visit but I have stopped per the doctor's recommendation. I haven't been diagnosed with hashimitos, but I have read that 90 percent of hypothyroidism patients have hashimitos.

At my two week check up the doctor switched me to Nature Throid 1 grain. I'm still tired, although I think the fatigue is improving. My muscle and joints pains aren't any better though. I don't feel like walking (exercise) because of the joint pain. I've also noticed I'm not as cold natured but I still get cold when both others aren't.

Thank you for your well wishes. How long approximately was it until you really felt better for the majority of the day or just consistently?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyMC
I'm not taking my iodine (kelp) supplements. I was before my first visit but I have stopped per the doctor's recommendation. I haven't been diagnosed with hashimitos, but I have read that 90 percent of hypothyroidism patients have hashimitos.

At my two week check up the doctor switched me to Nature Throid 1 grain. I'm still tired, although I think the fatigue is improving. My muscle and joints pains aren't any better though. I don't feel like walking (exercise) because of the joint pain. I've also noticed I'm not as cold natured but I still get cold when both others aren't.

Thank you for your well wishes. How long approximately was it until you really felt better for the majority of the day or just consistently?
Hashimoto's means you have a high level of thyroid antibodies. The tests for TgAB and TPO will show this.

I am on Nature-throid too. I was really tired for weeks but now I'm feeling much better. Also Nature-throid doesn't have extras like corn in it.