Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/179.5/172 Male 70.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Why do Low Carb Diets Work? The Mechanism Explained

Clear, concise, easy to digest with lots of good references.

Why do Low Carb Diets Work? The Mechanism Explained
http://authoritynutrition.com/why-d...arb-diets-work/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 10:16

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

My "Bottom Line" takeaway points from this article:

1) There is no specific mention of added fat in the low carb diet.
2) High protein is specifically mentioned, though low carb is not necessarily high protein.
3) Low carb is less varied, and lower in "food reward". Really? Well maybe if one's idea of food reward is processed junk. I felt pretty rewarded yesterday with my grilled salmon and asparagus in a saffron cream sauce. But perhaps that wouldn't win over a pizza for some people.
4) The long term effects are not very good, it is said. Because people tend to go back to eating the things that got them fat in the first place. This will happen with any diet.

So, good to see it pointed out that low carb diets works, but I don't see the average carb eater reading this and getting an overwhelming desire to join the ranks of low carbers. I believe one might truthfully say "dam*ing with faint praise".
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 10:38

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes, I think this is a pretty good overview of the low carbohydrate diet. The list of benefits at the beginning is impressive. I especially liked this one (although no source is cited):
Quote:
These diets are particularly effective for people with metabolic syndrome and/or type 2 diabetes. The evidence is overwhelming.

Of course, there's more to it than these comments include. But anyone thinking of using low-carb as a strategy would not be discouraged by this description.

I've had enough experience to know that every diet "works." And every diet stops "working" when you stop doing it. For my money, LC is more sustainable. You can't beat the "food reward" of butter, bacon, whipping cream, and ribeye.

Last edited by bkloots : Sat, Apr-25-15 at 11:55.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 11:10

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

This is very interesting paragraph.

"Low Carb Diets Are High in Protein

In most studies where low carb and low fat diets are compared, the low carb groups end up eating much more protein.

This is because people replace many low-protein foods (grains, sugars) with higher protein foods like meat, fish and eggs.

Numerous studies show that protein can reduce appetite, boost metabolism, and help increase muscle mass, which is metabolically active and burns calories around the clock (17, 18, 19, 20).

Many nutrition experts believe that the high protein content of low-carb diets is the main reason for their effectiveness."
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 11:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Many nutrition experts believe that the high protein content of low-carb diets is the main reason for their effectiveness."

It's only "high" protein because the SAD is so low.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 12:00

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

It's hard to know what this writer means by "high protein." Is that in grams? A percentage? Compared to what?

I was years into LC before I began to think about how much protein (grams) I was consuming--or should consume. And there's no way to compare that with what I ate before. I like LC/Atkins because it is pretty simple to start. After a while, you can make it as detailed and individual as you wish, depending on what is working best for you. Dr. Atkins worked with clients, not statistics--beginning with himself.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 13:00

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The people who eat high rather than moderate levels of protein on LC tend to be bodybuilders, athletes, and people who are scared of eating fat. They think fat makes you fat, yet excess protein is broken down and converted into glucose, which causes an increase in insulin, the fat-storage hormone. Excess exercise is required to handle the excess insulin or they will get fatter.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 14:06

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I prefer Taubes citation of Yalow and Berson from 1965: "releasing fat from fat tissue and then burning it for energy, they wrote, 'requires only the negative stimulus of insulin deficiency' "

So much simpler and actually true.