Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 06:56

Plan: Atkins 1972 Induction
Stats: 228/137/138 Female 5' 4"
BF:What body fat??
Progress: 101%
Default Hard Core Atkins '72 Induction Group #4

HARD CORE ATKINS '72 INDUCTION GROUP #4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jo to you and your brother.
What an adorable pic of you two when you were little ones.
Have a super day!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:15
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default Original Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution (1972)

Original Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
NOTE: Bantam edition / September 1972 paperback

Not sixty grams of carbohydrate on this diet but zero grams. During the first week on this diet, you cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero.

This creates a unique chemical situation in the body, the one favorable to the fastest possible burning of your body’s stored fat. Ketones are excreted, and hunger disappears. You see, the first fuel your body burns for energy comes from the carbohydrates you eat and drink. If any carbohydrate is available, your body burns this rather than stored fat-and maintains its old metabolic pathways. But carbohydrates, as such, are not stored in the body beyond forty-eight hours. So when no carbohydrate is taken in, your body must draw upon the major reserve source of fuel-the stored fat.
It is forced to take a different metabolic pathway. In this process your body converts from being a carbohydrate-burning engine.

This is The Diet Revolution: the new chemical situation in which ketones are being thrown off-and so are those unwanted pounds, all without hunger. A gradual addition of carbohydrate to keep your body burning it’s fat as fuel. We must maintain this chemical situation if you’re to continue to lose without hunger. And if we add carbohydrate very gradually in tiny amounts-we can do just this… keep your body converted into a fat-burning engine. So that is just what we do. The second week you might add a few grams of carbohydrate to your diet.

Every week thereafter a little more carbohydrate (around five grams) may be returned to the diet.

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One):

1. Don’t count calories
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don’t feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie free beverages as thirst requires. Don’t restrict fluids… but it is not necessary to force them either.
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Every day, take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on “low-calorie” drinks, syrups, desserts. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list:

(Sometimes a single stick of chewing gum, or putting milk in your coffee could put you right back to level one by upsetting the new chemical balance in your body. Yes, even that much carbohydrate can turn off your fat mobilizing hormone.)

Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”

Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing

Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners

Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee

*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, tea and diet colas, which contain caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.

Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, mussels, scallops, and pickled fish

Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations

Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.

Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans-fat, oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).

Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime

Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.
Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)

Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:16
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean
HARD CORE ATKINS '72 INDUCTION GROUP #4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jo to you and your brother.
What an adorable pic of you two when you were little ones.
Have a super day!!
Thanks girlie for the b'day wishes and starting our new THREAD! Weeeeeeehooooooo.... I'm gonna post some relevant info so we can tell new peeps to check the first page for more info!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:18
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default A Tablespoonful Of Potato Salad Can Slow You Down.

Dr. Atkin's quote - straight from the '72 book - pg 154

"Unless you're one of these hard-core unfortunates,you can drop weight fast as well as euphorically on this diet...as long as you keep those carbohydrates at arm's length. But if you're off-again-on-again with carbohydrates you'll get nowhere fast. Those who think, "Well it can't do much harm if I go off the diet just for dinner," are due for a nasty surprise on the scales next morning. It is my observation that a patient who takes in seventy-five grams of carbohydrate (the amount in one wedge of pecan pie) will gain back two to three pounds.

As the Ketostix will tell you by refusing to change color, even a tablespoonful of potato salad can throw off the entire new fat-burning chemical balance you have been working to achieve."
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:19
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Here's what Atkins has to say about Calories:

Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
1972 p.275

“Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:22
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Here's what Dr. A says about alcohol in his A '72 book:

Quote:
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ALCOHOL

Let's talk about alcohol, because for many of my patients this is the number one problem in weight control.

We live in a society where drinking is so much a part of our way of life that it is much harder to turn down a drink than a dessert - even if we like desserts better.

Yet alcohol is a powerful deterrent to a low-carbohydrate diet. If you've read about the Drinking Man's Diet, you know that alcohol is not usually considered a true carbohydrate. And if you enjoy a sociable drink, you will hit upon that fact to justify adding alcohol to your diet.

But this is one diet where alcohol acts just like a carbohydrate. It makes your body discharge insulin and stops you from putting out FMH (fat mobilizing hormone).

There is no hard-and-fast rule about how much alcohol converts into gram-equivalents of carbohydrate, because there is remarkable individual variation in this department.

But this rule of thumb that I use represents the best average value: For every ounce of 100-proof spirits count 20 grams (carbs). In other words, one ounce of 84-proof Scotch might be thought of as 16.8 grams of carbs. Or four ounces of 24-proof wine might be counted as 19.2 grams of carbs.
This is pure alcohol equivalents. If drinking beer, remember there are actual carbohydrates in that too! So you are getting a LOT more carbs.

Even though the alcohol may not kick you out of ketosis, the lingering effects of it may last for days. Remember that your body uses alcohol first over any other nutrient, and while it is burning the alcohol, it is NOT burning fat.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:23
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Sugar Alcohols

Sugar Alcohols

Consumption of sugar alcohols does affect blood sugar levels, although less than that of "regular" sugar (sucrose). Sugar alcohols may also cause bloating and diarrhea when consumed in excessive amounts. Some people it doesn't have to be excessive amounts to cause these side effects.

They are found in all kinds of sugar free products including but not limited to chewing gum, candies, LC shakes, LC bars etc. Here is a list of sugar alcohols, there are probably more.

Arabitol
Erythritol
Fucitol
Galactitol
Glycerol
Iditol
Inositol
Isomalt
Lactitol
Maltitol
Maltotetraitol
Maltotriitol
Mannitol
Polyglycitol
Ribitol
Sorbitol
Threitol
Volemitol
Xylitol

When you're considering foods with low- or reduced-calorie sweeteners, always check the Nutrition Facts on the label. Many of the food products containing these types of sweeteners may still have a significant amount of carbs.

When I look at a nutrition facts label I always avoid anything that has an -tol at the end of it (I'm not going to memorize that LIST!!) because that's usually a sugar alcohol and for some of us, we process them exactly like carbs.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:23

Good idea Jo.

Reminders and refreshers are always a good thing!

So any plans for your brother's birthday??
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:24
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Okay I'm done with posting the relevant info!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:26
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Good idea Jo.

Reminders and refreshers are always a good thing!

So any plans for your brother's birthday??
Been watering the "lawn" out front cause my friend is coming this am to start the rock project for me! I'm so excited.... watered the dirt 2 hours a day since Friday...cause it was hard as cement! UGH!

I'll take a before and after...

Making my twin brother a turkey for his b'day and a green salad! It's gonna be delish!! I can't wait!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:30

btw: what is the consensus of the best sweetener for us (for those of us that HAVE TO HAVE)??
I know it's the liquid form but what are you all buying?? I noticed my "Skinny Girl" with Stevia has Erythritol with sodium and potassium preservatives??
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Been watering the "lawn" out front cause my friend is coming this am to start the rock project for me! I'm so excited.... watered the dirt 2 hours a day since Friday...cause it was hard as cement! UGH!

I'll take a before and after...

Making my twin brother a turkey for his b'day and a green salad! It's gonna be delish!! I can't wait!

OH, I'm excited too!! I can't wait and I wish I had a friend like you do!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
When I look at a nutrition facts label I always avoid anything that has an -tol at the end of it.

Geez, I thought it was anything that ended with "ose" was to be avoided. So it's "ose" AND "tol"??? Ugh!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:47
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Geez, I thought it was anything that ended with "ose" was to be avoided. So it's "ose" AND "tol"??? Ugh!
I don't know I use liquid sucralose and it doesn't affect me at all, the only thing it does is sweeten my drinks. Remember when I was using Da Vinci SF syrups by the liters? That's what was in it... so I figure to save $$$ I'd switch over to just the liquid sucralose...
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 07:59

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimby30
Goodness, I haven't been here in a loooong time.. Went out of town for my sister's wedding, and sadly accepted my mom's spoiling a little too much.. But, back on track. Hardcore way - the only way.

First of all, CONGRATS to all you ladies, hardcore work DOES pay off.. Super proud of all of you.. And being away and coming back to these wooshes, wow, truly impressed (and jealous )

Welcome back COCO! Jump back in and ride the Hard Core train with us! The off-plan foods are never good. And I am glad you didn't let it take over your life again! It is so easy to fall. Stay here where is is safe 'cause we all help each other out when temptation arises. Nothing sucks more than gaining and losing the same lbs over and over again. The longer you stick with this lifestyle, the easier it becomes to resist the carbs of the Outer World. They are NOT worth it in the least. They are no longer a part of our life. Poison. Deathly addiction items. Drop them from your life.
Closed Thread