Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 03:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Interestingly I was reading an article about Kate Hudson's approach to food in the Mail Online this morning. She said:

'I was at my favorite French restaurant in Paris… eating everything I love…steak, fries, lots of wine. Then the dessert came, and I was having strawberries and cream pastries plus the wine.

'[Then,] a svelte, sophisticated woman approached [my] table. She pointed to my glass of wine. "This is your piece of cake. That's how you should be thinking." And I always try to remember that: Everything in moderation!'

No doubt other people would have been furious and seen it as a rude and unwanted comment from an interfering old busy-body, particularly if they were as slim as Kate Hudson. Rather than taking offence, however, she took in on board and has always remembered it as a piece of good advice. I imagine this is due to her having healthy self-esteem.

One thing for sure though, I agree with both posters who said it's inappropriate to approach a teenager about their size/diet, for the reasons they gave: it could be misconstrued; that age group are so self-conscious; and I've heard of eating disorders being triggered by comments from well-meaning adults.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Thu, Feb-19-15 at 04:33.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 05:28

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleHall
You'd be amazed. I do allow off topic questions and recommendations as long as the goal is to solve a problem one is having, engineering or otherwise. Diet issues come up there as well, and it seems like ninety percent still believe "a calorie is a calorie"....drives me nuts sometimes....LOL..

Give me the forum name and I'll go there and use terms like soil and dirt or fugacity and partial pressure interchangeably and watch them blow up.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 08:30

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

As a slim, healthy, low carber who had been at goal for several years, I was on the receiving end of an unwanted comment regarding the contents of my cart/trolley while I was waiting in line. I had some pork rinds in there and a woman with obvious middle-aged spread turned round and said in a contemptuous voice "Good heavens, I didn't think ANYONE, ate those things anymore!" I suppose it could have been a teaching moment for me, but honestly I got more satisfaction in looking her full in the eye and politely replying "I'm sure you're right". It ended the exchange instantly and she had no choice but to go on her judgemental merry way. Would I have said the same if her tone conveyed a genuine concern for my health? Yeah, probably. I'm over the desire to spread the word.

I didn't always feel this way. When I first discovered the 'secret' of low carb, and the weight just fell off me, and the lifelong cravings for sugar and flour disappeared, I wanted to shout it from the rooftops and save the world! I know I bored my friends and family with it and got into quite heated discussions with some acquaintances. Possibly the OP is feeling the same excitement of discovery.

These days I feel quite strongly that I don't need to be a missionary. There's enough information out there now on the internet, public tv, and books. I wouldn't dream of broaching the subject with an acquaintance now, let alone a stranger, but I do love talking about it to the converted like you guys and my low carber friends.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 08:39

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
I got more satisfaction in looking her full in the eye and politely replying "I'm sure you're right".
An excellent response, IMHO. Sounds affirming--but isn't.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 10:01

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
When I first discovered the 'secret' of low carb, and the weight just fell off me, and the lifelong cravings for sugar and flour disappeared, I wanted to shout it from the rooftops and save the world!...Possibly the OP is feeling the same excitement of discovery
I think this, too...understandable.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 11:25

Plan: none
Stats: 184/182/155 Male 5'9"
BF:26%
Progress: 7%

Quote:
As a slim, healthy, low carber who had been at goal for several years, I was on the receiving end of an unwanted comment regarding the contents of my cart/trolley while I was waiting in line. I had some pork rinds in there and a woman with obvious middle-aged spread turned round and said in a contemptuous voice "Good heavens, I didn't think ANYONE, ate those things anymore!" I suppose it could have been a teaching moment for me, but honestly I got more satisfaction in looking her full in the eye and politely replying "I'm sure you're right". It ended the exchange instantly and she had no choice but to go on her judgemental merry way. Would I have said the same if her tone conveyed a genuine concern for my health? Yeah, probably. I'm over the desire to spread the word.

I didn't always feel this way. When I first discovered the 'secret' of low carb, and the weight just fell off me, and the lifelong cravings for sugar and flour disappeared, I wanted to shout it from the rooftops and save the world! I know I bored my friends and family with it and got into quite heated discussions with some acquaintances. Possibly the OP is feeling the same excitement of discovery.

These days I feel quite strongly that I don't need to be a missionary. There's enough information out there now on the internet, public tv, and books. I wouldn't dream of broaching the subject with an acquaintance now, let alone a stranger, but I do love talking about it to the converted like you guys and my low carber friends.
I can sort of relate in that once I was putting Literte' yogurts in my cart and someone nearby mentioned to look out for that one as it was whole fat yogurt. Was somewhat satisfying to reply..yes indeed, that is exactly why I'm buying it ! Besides tasting waaaay better than any other yogurt in this aisle (and a huge yogurt aisle it was...gazillion of the usual Chobani, Dannon, etc..all "no fat" of course), it is more likely to help one to loose weight.

Of course she looked at me like I had two heads....but it was still funny. And FWIW, I rarely eat Liberte' anymore as those pesky "fruit on the bottoms" run the carbs up almost as much as Chobani. But man oh man, that is some good stuff...
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 15:34

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I quit looking for full-fat, non-sugared yogurts in the grocery. It is just too hard to find.
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 16:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Suppose we should feel "protected" that our grocer is looking out for us by not carrying full fat plain yogurt. Just a few years ago, it used to be a standard item. I can never find it either. Talk about swimming upstream!
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 16:47

BF:

Quote:
it is more likely to help one to loose weight.
Well there you go again. Didn't the mean teacher get you on that one already? Go to the cloakroom young man.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Suppose we should feel "protected" that our grocer is looking out for us by not carrying full fat plain yogurt. Just a few years ago, it used to be a standard item. I can never find it either. Talk about swimming upstream!
I'm in a relatively small town and we can find whole fat plain yogurt in the Publix and Bi-Lo grocery stores in Danon, Stoneyfield and Cabot brands. The Cabot is Greek style but I prefer the regular Danon. The plain's only come in the larger containers.

You have to be careful as the Danon and Stoneyfield "no fat" and "vanilla" containers look nearly identical to the whole fat containers. Apparently because the "whole" part they are worried about people seeing that they would ever stoop to such an abomination and therefore "whole" is in tiny letters.

Ironically, I have never seen Fage whole fat yogurt in a store....they make it...and plenty of Fage no fat and low fat here, but nobody around here gets the whole fat version.

We have a little health food store with some exotic sounding yogurts but all of them are "no fat". I asked the manager (or owner maybe) why no whole fat yogurts and she explained "everybody wants the no fat versions"
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 02:55

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

It's really easy to make yoghurt, especially in a warm climate. If you're using pasteurised milk, you just heat it up to around 110 degrees (warm to the touch), stir in some natural live yoghurt, keep it warm for a day, then chill, stir and refrigerate.

If you're using raw milk, or want a thicker yoghurt, you heat it to above 172 degrees (or bring to the boil) then cool to around 110 degrees (warm to the touch) before making the yoghurt.
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 06:14

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Well there you go again. Didn't the mean teacher get you on that one already? Go to the cloakroom young man.

Barbara, that cracked me up. It's driving you nuts, isn't it?
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 06:57

Quote:
Barbara, that cracked me up. It's driving you nuts, isn't it?
Guilty as charged. If spellcheck doesn't catch it no telling what crazy spelling might emanate from these old phalanges.
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 08:08

BF:

Quote:
It's driving you nuts, isn't it?
Well, if I got really crazy over this particular spelling peccadillo, I wouldn't be hanging out on this site. Except in formal situations (like newspaper articles), I've made peace with typos, grammatical errors, and idiomatic miscues. I'm sure (?) TempleHall knows I'm just joining in the fun here, veering off topic at his expense.

Now, back to recommending Adkins to everyone in the checkout line.
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 08:42

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Now, back to recommending Adkins to everyone in the checkout line.

(Text to fulfill annoying minimum character requirement!)