Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 20:32
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Statins stimulate atherosclerosis and heart failure: pharmacological mechanisms

Quote:
Abstract

In contrast to the current belief that cholesterol reduction with statins decreases atherosclerosis, we present a perspective that statins may be causative in coronary artery calcification and can function as mitochondrial toxins that impair muscle function in the heart and blood vessels through the depletion of coenzyme Q10 and 'heme A', and thereby ATP generation. Statins inhibit the synthesis of vitamin K2, the cofactor for matrix Gla-protein activation, which in turn protects arteries from calcification. Statins inhibit the biosynthesis of selenium containing proteins, one of which is glutathione peroxidase serving to suppress peroxidative stress. An impairment of selenoprotein biosynthesis may be a factor in congestive heart failure, reminiscent of the dilated cardiomyopathies seen with selenium deficiency. Thus, the epidemic of heart failure and atherosclerosis that plagues the modern world may paradoxically be aggravated by the pervasive use of statin drugs. We propose that current statin treatment guidelines be critically reevaluated.

http://pmid.us/25655639
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 20:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

One day statin makers will have their pants sued off.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-15, 22:11

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Maybe so, but in the meantime, this was published by Informa. They publish journals. Lots of them. They say right on their site "Publish With Us". So these guys are paying to get published. I'd keep that in mind.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 07:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
Maybe so, but in the meantime, this was published by Informa. They publish journals. Lots of them. They say right on their site "Publish With Us". So these guys are paying to get published. I'd keep that in mind.

There's lots of books out now, by and with doctors, which carefully delineate the monstrous harm statins cause the body.

At this point, it's a superstition as much as it is a drug.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 08:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

It's not the paying to get published thing that gets me. I see hypothesis, mechanism of action--but it's impossible to see from the abstract alone whether they're explaining an increase in calcification actually shown in people taking statins.

Quote:
Progression of vascular calcification is increased with statin use in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT).
Saremi A1, Bahn G, Reaven PD; VADT Investigators.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To determine the effect of statin use on progression of vascular calcification in type 2 diabetes (T2DM).
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS:
Progression of coronary artery calcification (CAC) and abdominal aortic artery calcification (AAC) was assessed according to the frequency of statin use in 197 participants with T2DM.
RESULTS:
After adjustment for baseline CAC and other confounders, progression of CAC was significantly higher in more frequent statin users than in less frequent users (mean ± SE, 8.2 ± 0.5 mm(3) vs. 4.2 ± 1.1 mm(3); P < 0.01). AAC progression was in general not significantly increased with more frequent statin use; in a subgroup of participants initially not receiving statins, however, progression of both CAC and AAC was significantly increased in frequent statin users.
CONCLUSIONS:
More frequent statin use is associated with accelerated CAC in T2DM patients with advanced atherosclerosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22875226

Okay, there's at least an association. But the study needs to be picked apart, when you get rid of confounders, what happens? Warfarin blocks some actions of vitamin k, how many people on statins are also on warfarin? My bias is against statins, and pro-vitamin k2, but I don't really know what to make of this yet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 11:29
Experimenter

BF:

#7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 12:51
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:

I think you're not quite right about that. It was (or will be) published in Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2015 Feb 6:1-11. [Epub ahead of print]. Informa Healthcare will sell you the article if you don't get that journal. Maybe they also publish that journal, they do seem to be a big publishing house. But I suspect most publications, peer reviewed or not, don't come from someone's basement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert...al_Pharmacology
Quote:
Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology is a monthly peer-reviewed medical journal covering all aspects of clinical pharmacology. The journal is abstracted and indexed in Chemical Abstracts, EMBASE/Excerpta Medica, MEDLINE/Index Medicus/PubMed, and Scopus.

BTW, being suspicious is the right thing. Apparently there are a lot of unscrupulous places publishing bad crap nowadays. No idea if the above is an example of that. I'd hope it wouldn't make it to PubMed.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ience-for-a-fee

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Feb-10-15 at 13:00.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 13:02

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Don't watch John Oliver with liquids in your mouth. As always painfully funny. And painfully truthful.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 13:04
Experimenter

BF:

I looked up my doctor on that open access payment site mentioned. He took $91 worth of meals in 2013... probably not a whole lot compared to many others. He never struck me as a pill pusher.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 15:51

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

My doc was Not Found.

Too bad. I was curious, not about him in particular but about this site.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 16:27
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Here is the full text for those interested.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-15, 17:35
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
One day statin makers will have their pants sued off.

It amazes me that people damaged aren't putting bullets in the people who are leading the damage against millions of people. We have official political enemies who have done our people less damage than some of these individuals of our own have done FULLY KNOWINGLY with zero motive but money and unconcern.

Why is that people who wipe out retirement money for zillions of old people, or profoundly pollute rivers, get a fine, but the guy who only steals your car radio goes to jail?

There is no amount of money a decade or three down the road that could possibly, ever, even a little, "compensate" for the agony and grief and lives destroyed and children without parents and personal angst and despair that profound health problems cause. There is no fine that can touch it, ever.

Because it isn't by accident. It isn't like "Oh whoops, a flaw and a leak caused us to pollute that river," it's like, "Hey, we realized if we injured, mutilated and murdered millions of people, we could make TONS of money! And the fine, someday, would still leave us SO much profit we'll all still be business heroes and personally insanely rich and safe behind a corporate shield! Bwahahahaha!"

It is a good thing I have no godlike powers.

PJ
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-15, 21:16

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 240/170/155 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:

Do drug companies pay to get the word out about their products? Is there anything evil or sinister about paying to have your information get exposure?

Here is a humorous look at the reality of marketing drugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQZ...eature=youtu.be

I think that if there is anything sinister involving payments to get information out, the onus falls much more heavily on the established monopoly like prescription drug industry.

Among other inducements, drug companies provide speaking fees to doctors, provide them the "research" to talk about, and as these drug favorable papers become the basis for "standard of care" we not only end up with very dangerous drugs like statins, but many alternatives are excluded; doctors who don't go with the program run a high risk of being struck off. And even within medical practices, physicians are financially rewarded based on compliance with standard of care which includes how many statin drugs they prescribe.

To quote you, "I'd keep that in mind."
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 09:40
Experimenter

BF:

I think Gonwtwindo wasn't quite right in her analysis of how the paper was published.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 16:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

That John Oliver show is brilliant, especially the parody ad at the end.

I need to go back and catch up on recent shows. They always do some amazing in-depth research to back up the comedy.