Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 20:21

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Talking GOOFY AGAIN

Okay, all this time I have thought that the triple digit club was for people who already lost 100 lbs!! Well now that I have it figured out…here we go. When I started I had 115 lbs. To lose…now I only have 85 lbs.! YYYYYEEEAAAAAAHHHHH! So I guess I’m in! Ha!

LRRAINE
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-01, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:
Talking Yeah I'm a 100+ loser too!

I think I have at least 150 to lose. When I went to the dr a month ago I weighed 280, which was a ten lb loss for me, and I think I would like to get down to at least 150 lbs. About 12 years ago when I had my gallbladder out (and had to do low-fat out of necessity) I had gotten down to 180 and looked zaftig, just like a Cajun girl ought to I think

Because I am a diabetic I came across Dr. Bernstein's diet first but it has a lot in common with Atkins since it is low-carb. We get to eat more carbs than on Atkins but that may well be because we also count fiber (and in fact kind of count it double, for its bulking effects at meals). And I have to admit I do love the Atkins products I have tried so far -- the sugar-free chocolate syrup is SO good in protein shakes!

Anyway, if anyone wants to check out his diet/book for comparison, here's his site: http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/index.shtml It's got great info even if you aren't diabetic (especially since us really fat folks have insulin resistance).
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 18:32

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

I think I qualify to register here as I needed to lose more than a hundred pounds a few months ago when I started my low-carb diet this time (although I undertook one five years ago, lost 77 lbs, then gradually put it all back on again by letting too many carbs back into my diet). I have once again lost 70 lbs, and another 40 odd would be good. Why are there so few entries by males on this thread? I cannot believe the proportion of triple-figure qualifiers is so "weighted" towards women. Perhaps there are some men who are a little bashful about admitting their degree of need to lose weight. But why not be honest, and share the knowledge, the kinship, the struggles and the rewards of speaking up? Come on, let's have a few more honest men!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 02:22

Plan:
Stats: 300/300/150
BF:
Progress:
Default 100 pds to lose

Hi Everyone,

Though I have lurked for a while I haven't posted much. However, when I saw this thread I just had to struggle up and be counted. Not sure how much I weight I have to lose but I know it is 300+.

Because of health reasons (diabetes, osteoarthritis) I have tried to do low carb now for about a year. I do ok for a few days then blow it for a day or two. you would think pain would be a motivator but it isn't for me. I am trying to do Protein Power, but after reading some posts on this board I'm going to check out Dr. Bersten's book.

I need encouragement and ideas on how to work this woe. I tend to just get bogged down with salad and meat. I'm not a great cook, but I think to make this plan work or any other you must cook and plan for success. So once again going to stock up at store tom. and start again Monday.

I'm going to post more often for accountability sake. Thank you for starting this thread and sharing your stories.

Shirley
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 06:20
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Re: 100 pds to lose

Quote:
Originally posted by Slange
I do ok for a few days then blow it for a day or two.

I've found (and you'll probably see it posted elsewhere too) that the first two days are the worst -- the carbo cravings drive me NUTZ! But after about 48 hours, they stop. And cher, I know it's hard when you're living in South Luziana where the food is just SOOOO good -- my mom (who lives in Houma incidentally) has much more trouble staying on lc than I do. For the first couple of days (at least) I'd lay in a good supply of nuts, Sugar-free Jello (NOT the pudding unless you make it with water instead of milk -- the lactose will make the carbo cravings worse, believe me I know), and cheese, and if you're going to eat fruit (which Dr. Bernstein says not to) have it as dessert, not alone.

All that said, even if you do go and blow it, that just means you're human like the rest of us so don't beat yourself up and just go back on it when you can. I think even being lc sporadically is better than not at all!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 10:43

Plan:
Stats: 300/300/150
BF:
Progress:
Talking staying the course

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the encouragement, I need it. So far today I'm doing well.

Yes, indeed, we do live in eating country. I wanted to tell you that I recently visited Shreveport, my husband works in Bossier city. Shreveport is a lovely town. However, the best part of the trip was stopping in Broussard and tasting the cracklins there.
I assume they are ok on lowcarb, but I would have to watch that I don't od.

Well, ok, then keep me in your thoughts as I try to stay the course.
Shirley
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 11:09

Plan:
Stats: 251/238/138
BF:
Progress:
Red face

I've lost 15 pounds-it's been a month. I'm not discouraged. I don't feel like I'm on a diet. Instead of the No Carbs for two weeks. I took the
low carb approach. It's slower, but maybe I won't falter. I now weigh 235. I set my goal 135. Seems like a long weigh--ha! ha! there, I have more hope this time. I've tried Fasten--made my hair fall out. Formu-3--made my wallet skinner. Weight Watchers--I watched myself try and try and I just couldn't seem to improve. I can't blame my extra pounds on having a baby. I lost 35 pounds while I was pregnant and I was extrememly sick. I was feed via intravenous tube 3 times a week for about 3 months. After I had my daughter, I chose to nurse. I wanted to be careful about what I ate--I chose cereal--it's healthy, right!??? sometimes I ate cereal 3 times a day. I went from 185 to 260 in less than a year. I didn't realize how bad it was until I started having problems with my blood pressure. I decided I wanted to live to see my daughter grow. This is my reason--and if I can have my steak and eat it too--I'll try to be happy about it.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 11:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up hi elf! welcome aboard

Lots of us here who believed the lowfat, high-cereal mythologies .. and ended up fatter than ever ... and blaming ourselves, we must be doing something wrong, or cheating ... I had a "friend" tell me I must be unconsciously eating more calories than I said I was, and "denying" it to myself ..

Good for you to take the steps toward a healthier you. And your little girl will sure enjoy having a healthy Mommy to play with her!

Keep us posted .... maybe even pop into our Introductions forum, and say Howdy ..

Doreen
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 11:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Elf, your post was quite entertaining, I like your style Welcome aboard. And ditto to what Doreen said

Andy, we (men) are a minority here, seems like 10% if not less, but a growing minority, LOL.

"Luziana" folks, I feel your pain, all the Cajun goodies sound very tempting!

Wa'il
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 12:02

BF:

What is meant by LOL? And Wa'il, for that matter?
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 12:05
Forum Founder

LOL = Laughing out loud
Wa'il = my first name (no kidding)

Wa'il
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 15:39

BF:

Thanks for enlightening me. The second part of your answer sounds even more improbable than the first: I won't dare even ask about "Tamarian"!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 16:42
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Davies
I won't dare even ask about "Tamarian"!

Even this was discussed before

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ighlight=darmok
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 17:02

BF:

Sorry to make you dredge it up again then. I was never very interested in StarTrek, and avoided watching it where possible, so I never would have caught onto the name. I am very impressed though at your archive retrieval system, however!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 17:11
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Davies
I am very impressed though at your archive retrieval system, however!

I agree, the search feature we have is quite powerful.

By the way, you didn't update your birthday yet I have replied to your email about tha, not sure if you got my email. Just click on the "Profile" icon on top.

Wa'il