Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 09:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Which Cut of Meat Is Least Likely to Make You Sick?

Which Cut of Meat Is Least Likely to Make You Sick?

Basically meat that hasn't been ground, punctured, washed, etc. is better than meat that has been.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 10:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

What they don't give is what the actual probability of any of the types of meat covered making you sick is. Chicken is more likely to carry pathogens than beef. Okay. What's the real risk?

Quote:
1 in 6 Americans contracts a foodborne illness annually; 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die.

I actually think catching a food borne illness once every six years, if I get my share, is pretty good odds. Those numbers also mean that out of the fifty million who contract foodborne illness, only .3 percent are hospitalized. 0.0006 percent die. Very sad when it happens. But at this point in my life, this isn't going to keep me up late worried.

Tell 100 000 people that one of them is going to die from food poisoning, if they don't immediately give up meat and start living off of rice, beans, and unicorn farts, and how many will do so? Hopefully, not as many as the people at CSPI are hoping.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm... only time I knew I had a foodborne illness was from some rotisserie chicken I bought at Costco. I wasn't sick enough I had to go to the emergency, but I was pretty darn miserable.

Lots of foodborne illnesses are transmitted via vegetables too. So CSPI might want to warn people away from them as well!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 10:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

This makes this entire article pretty worthless....
From comments:

"Trichinosis is not bacterial. Trichinosis is caused by parasitic roundworms. The source is undercooked infested muscle meats, mostly pork. This is common knowledge and I'm surprised by the poor research in an article on MJ."
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 10:27

BF:

Rotisserie chicken is my only for-sure case of foodborne illness as well. In my case, it was the one and only time I ever ordered groceries delivered by an online delivery service.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
A CDC study found that between 1998 and 2008, contaminated meat was responsible for 29 percent of all deaths from foodborne illness (23 percent of deaths were from produce, 15 percent from dairy and eggs, and 6.4 percent from fish and shellfish).

It's quite clear that real food kills. Only food that's capable of sustaining life is capable of supporting food-borne pathogens. Sugar and corn syrup are innocents.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-15, 18:34

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

This is what I read on those numbers. 100% of deaths are due to the contaminants, 0% from the foods themselves. Furthermore, 0% of people eat only one food, 100% eat a bit of everything, contaminants can contaminate more than just one food, therefore 0% of deaths can be attributed to a single food.

Obviously, the above is given in absolute quantities. But then the alternative is that partial % like 29% of deaths from meats for example, also give out absolute conclusions like 100% of meats will kill you, while 23% of deaths from veggies mean 100% of veggies are totally and absolutely 100% good for you. Really?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-15, 19:26

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

There is a 100% chance that I am going to die.