Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 09:27

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Count me in as another admirer of Dr. Perlmutter. I thought his interview got off to a slow start, at least for me, and I'd quit watching the first time I tried him. After several people praised him I went back and tried again and wow, he really knows his stuff. It's always impressive to listen to a speaker who knows what he's talking about and can eloquently present his ideas with the facts to back them up.

Some experts can be very knowledgeable and present things well in books, but are not as quick on their feet (verbally speaking) as Dr. Perlmutter. He really does a good job in an interview.

I guess I'll try his books now.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 10:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I see there are 6 encore presentations, including Perlmutter, whose name was misalphabetized on the voting list.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 10:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I see there are 6 encore presentations, including Perlmutter, whose name was misalphabetized on the voting list.

Totally agree, he is best spokesman of all the LC gurus out there!
But sad that Dr. Fung didnt win the popularity contest.

But he is still here http://thediabetessummit.com/jason-fung-md/

Likely the reason he didn't win is that he does not have a social media consultant. Amy Meyers emailed me the survey link asking her readers to vote for her (and I did). Just sent another email celebrating her selection, with her thanks and created another marketing touchpoint with me. Slick
The others asked for votes on their very popular websites, FB pages, twitter accounts etc which are managed by professionals. The Paleo Mom FB page has almost 425,000 followers! Dr. Fung is babe about all this.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Mar-31-15 at 11:19.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 12:05

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Dr. Fung seemed uncharacteristically tired in this interview, whereas he is more lively and articulate in the ones on his website. If he had been enthusiastically talking about intermittent fasting to reverse insulin resistance on this summit, he might have been selected for encore day. That would have been a nice counterpoint to Cassie's eat fruit & starch 6 times a day approach to insulin control.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 12:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I guess you catch more fish with a broader net. Even though I don't now consider the Zone diet a low carb diet by any stretch of the imagination, it was sort of a stepping stone--easier to jump from the Zone, once I'd accepted that fat wasn't so deadly, to Atkins, Protein Power etc.

Overall, I'd say "wholesome goodness" won out. Which is fine, except that wholesome goodness isn't an effective way to fight diabetes. Don't get me wrong, whatever dietary approach is used ought to involve good quality real foods--but where real food combined with some fasting protocol (I'd throw that 800 calorie a day approach in under this category, once calories are low enough, I think it counts as a modified fast no matter how the calories are distributed over the course of the day) or low carbohydrate is effective, a high quality food approach that includes the replacement of McDonald's french fries with sweet potato fries made with lard or coconut oil might be an improvement, but I wouldn't count on it doing much to reverse diabetes.

That was a rather long sentence.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 13:04

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Overall, I'd say "wholesome goodness" won out. Which is fine, except that wholesome goodness isn't an effective way to fight diabetes.

I agree. It seemed like a lot of the speakers were not really focused on diabetes, more on cutting out the junk food or maybe primarily focused on selling their protocol (says the cynic in me).

Jean
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 13:12

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53

He comes across with a depth of knowledge that few of the other presenters have (I'd put Dr Fung in the same category too). Many others are talking in metaphors for what the body is doing and they lose me. Perlmutter and Fung can talk actual biochemistry and make it accessible.

Richard Bernstein and Richard Feinman also really know their science but neither of them is glitzy, interested in getting it right but not as interested in selling themselves. Jason Fung is in that category too but it will be interesting to see where he ends up. I get the sense that he has only just begun. Will he write a book? Perlmutter seems to combine the two, an understanding of science and the ability to promote himself.

I have done a lot of reading over many years on diabetes, gut health and autoimmune diseases so I know the territory fairly well and am probably not easily impressed. Most of the speakers did not impress me.

Jean
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 14:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal

I have done a lot of reading over many years on diabetes, gut health and autoimmune diseases so I know the territory fairly well and am probably not easily impressed. Most of the speakers did not impress me.

Jean

I'm kind of a newcomer to the Supremacy of the Gut view of health, but I'm not easily impressed either. As for why the Wholesome Goodness contingent won out, one reason may be that many of them were advocating supplements. I think it is easier for most folks to embrace *adding* something to the diet, rather than subtracting something they like, particularly fruit and healthywholegrains.

That said, I supplemented today's typical salad based lunch with a little turmeric sauerkraut. We'll see if my gut responds positively.

There was a speaker I listened to yesterday that opined that those with T2 Diabetes bring it on themselves by improper eating. I was astonished to hear one of Dr Mowll's guests say that and quickly turned to another more positive talk. I bet he won't be back.

I fervently hope Dr Fung has a book in the works. As hard as he works on his blog and his videos, I bet he does.
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 14:31

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I liked this presentation for its holistic approach: http://thediabetessummit.com/jody-stanislaw-nd/ She was a fast lively speaker too.

Her four pillars were:

Food, sleep, physical activity and emotional well being.
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 17:56

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I petered out as the week progressed because I was generally either not impressed or just not interested. Too many dietitians.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-15, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I liked this presentation for its holistic approach: http://thediabetessummit.com/jody-stanislaw-nd/ She was a fast lively speaker too.

Her four pillars were:

Food, sleep, physical activity and emotional well being.

I liked her too! Immediately sent her interview to one of my Adult Onset T1 friends, but helpful for T2s also. And I just clicked on your journal...amazing information! great job keeping it up.

So the Diabetes Encore has been extended another day, and all the speakers are still there. Too make it easy to find them, just go to Janet's (JLx) journal, she has listed all the direct links.
It was a lot of similar information (that wholesome goodness crowd) but don't miss Suzy Cohen, she's a fun pharmacist, not a dietician.
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-15, 07:14

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I'm still watching the videos. At this rate, I'll get them all in!

I didn't realize Isabel Wentz was the author of a book I really liked about Hashimoto's, or I would have listened to her earlier. http://thediabetessummit.com/izabella-wentz-pharmd/

I was watching it on my tablet last night in bed so I couldn't take notes, but I also really liked http://thediabetessummit.com/christa-orecchio-chhc/. She was a really perky speaker, but not in an annoying way. She talked a lot about the gut and I'm looking forward to checking out her websites.

http://thewholejourney.com/

I've noticed that the very brief summaries of the people's presentations don't always capture the essence of their talks. Some people were more interesting than I expected and some were less.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-15, 14:34

As I mentioned in the first post, these On-Line Summits have become a rather frequent occurrence. So the day Diabetes ends,here is an announcement for one on Functional medicine.
http://functionalhealthsummit.com
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-15, 09:23

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I signed up for it though I don't know if I have the fortitude for another summit quite this soon. I did not enjoy one of the moderators, Peter Osborne, at the diabetes summit when he said in no uncertain terms that Type 2s bring it upon themselves. A little harsh, I thought. I hope that attitude is not prevalent in this summit.