Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 16:46
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default A New Biology for Diabetes

This video is quite interesting regarding glucagon's role in the pathology of diabetes, and suppressing glucagon without insulin in the treatment of diabetes - even type I.

http://youtu.be/VjQkqFSdDOc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 23:22

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Very interesting information about role of glucagon in diabetes. I'm wondering as a T2 diabetic how to apply this information. Are there ways to lower glucagon naturally without glucagon suppressants (not available to me)? Is low carb beneficial for this? Am I correctly understanding that he's saying too much fat in the pancreas causes these problems? Would weight loss if I could find a way to do it help? Low carb, ketosis and exercise just don't seem to help me lose weight like all those cool success stories I read about, so still trying to figure out if there's anything short of unsustainable constant under-eating and hunger that would.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-15, 10:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Undereating or fasting does seem to work pretty consistently. Problem is, eventually you have to eat, and the resulting increase in appetite from the extreme dieting leads to 'overeating.' There's an increased risk of type II diabetes in children/animals who are growth deprived through undernutrition, maybe that's due to "overeating" during catch-up growth.

Most people can do what it takes to lose weight, it's maintenance that gives trouble. If calorie restriction, whether through appetite suppression from a diet change, or fasting, or the bare-knuckled type, decreased pancreas fat and reversed diabetes--maybe then the problem could be looked at differently, as how to refeed in such a way that it doesn't cause a refattening of the pancreas and liver?

Another thing--there's the clashing paradigms of very low fat vegan vs. very low carb vs. diabetes. Both seem to have evidence in their favour.

Gary Taubes even wrote about studies showing an increase in insulin sensitivity when people were given very high carbohydrate, low fat diets. He suggested as a possible explanation that on very high carb intake, the adipose tissue might retain its insulin sensitivity longer than otherwise--so the increased insulin sensitivity might be happening at the expense of increased fat storage. But... glucose-lipid toxicity seems to require both an excess of free fatty acids, and an excess of glucose, one or the other won't do. On a very high carbohydrate diet, free fatty acids will be more strongly suppressed. On a low carb diet, glucose is scarce. Sort of the opposite of between a rock and a hard place, between two havens.

I like the way Professor Unger widens the insulin hypothesis of obesity. It isn't dietary carbohydrate drives insulin drives obesity--it's glucose, endogenous or exogenous, drives insulin drives obesity. It makes sense of how people who are particularly sensitive to dietary carbohydrate might be more sensitive to glucocorticoid, glucagon, maybe even growth hormone driving glucose up and thus driving insulin up.

One interesting thing in longevity research--growth hormone deficiency leading to increased lifespan is a common finding. This usually comes with a lower respiratory quotient--lower fasted glucose vs fat oxidation. Insulin was an early target for longevity, doesn't seem to quite fit. Glucagon? Gotta wonder if it would be a suitable target for longevity.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-15, 14:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow... interesting! So suppressing glucagon is important to controlling diabetes. Fascinating! Seems like this could lead to better diabetic control, if it gets past the dogmatic folks.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-15, 19:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bookmarked to come watch video and then come back wehn I have time.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-15, 19:51

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Very interesting video. Thanks for finding it RawNut.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-15, 08:00

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%

And another "Wow" from me!
This is the best and most surprising article I've seen/read in months. Light potentially shone on so many loose ends.

I will post the link to the paper for ref. Professor Roger Unger http://www.jci.org/articles/view/60016 .
It is a bit unsettling that it's more than three years since the JCI paper above was published and it has not yet illuminated the academic/medical (or at least blogging) heavens.

Like many "new dawns" the next step will be to see how well it withstands critical review, especially by disinterested parties I respect. I'm thinking Peter "Hyperlipid" at http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.ie/ for one. I'm off now to search for such. Will post anything significant I find.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-15, 08:47

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Very interesting information about role of glucagon in diabetes. I'm wondering as a T2 diabetic how to apply this information. Are there ways to lower glucagon naturally without glucagon suppressants (not available to me)? Is low carb beneficial for this? Am I correctly understanding that he's saying too much fat in the pancreas causes these problems? Would weight loss if I could find a way to do it help? Low carb, ketosis and exercise just don't seem to help me lose weight like all those cool success stories I read about, so still trying to figure out if there's anything short of unsustainable constant under-eating and hunger that would.

I've been thinking about these questions as well. I'm not diabetic but borderline pre-diabetic and trying to curtail the disease at this point.

I don't know if you are familiar with the intensivedietarymanagement.com site. Dr Fung is a Canadian nephrologist who is putting diabetics in remission with a combo of low carb and fasting. In this lecture , originally delivered as part of Grand Rounds at his hospital, he talks about the vicious cycle of diabetes, obesity, fatty liver, and if I remember correctly, fatty pancreas as well. He is someone else I expect to address Unger's findings as he seems interested in delving deeper and deeper and does not seem to mind learning new information which challenges his beliefs.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-15, 13:38

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

In one of his slides, it says "insulin is not essential to life". When insulin receptors shut down in the pathology of diabetes type 2, we get sick. The implication is that insulin is essential for life. I'd like to see some research into insulin deficiency vs growth, longevity, and all those things which keep us alive and well. Simply suppressing glucagon in mice doesn't cut it.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-15, 14:45

BF:

I doubt that any practical application of this idea would involve suppressing glucagon to the point where no insulin at all would be needed. Or maybe I just doubt that it should. Who knows what people are likely to get up to? Pilot studies have already shown that use of leptin, which also helps regulate glucagon, along with insulin, gives better blood glucose control to fragile diabetics. Better blood glucose, less risk of hypo. Suppressing glucagon with something other than insulin allows for a sort of different application of Dr. Bernstein's "law of small numbers."

Good points, though. I'd like to see some lifelong studies with insulin-free mice. The longest-living rodent is pretty much the naked mole rat, their fasted insulin is so low it's been described as unmeasurable.

I'd rather have the option of a way to suppress glucagon, rather than chase hyperinsulinemia with yet more insulin, though. I don't know if it would be "normal," but it feels like it might be closer to normal.

It's entirely possible that most of what insulin does comes about by suppressing the effects of glucagon, so with the lack of insulin paired with lack of glucagon, there might not be such a lack of the "usual actions of insulin" as you'd suppose. Anybody eating a ketogenic diet is hoping for normal function at very low levels of insulin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3028337/

Quote:
Glucagon Receptor Knockout Prevents Insulin-Deficient Type 1 Diabetes in Mice

We compared pertinent clinical and metabolic parameters in glucagon receptor-null (Gcgr−/−) mice and wild-type (Gcgr+/+) controls after equivalent destruction of β-cells. We used a double dose of streptozotocin to maximize β-cell destruction.

RESULTS
Gcgr+/+ mice became hyperglycemic (>500 mg/dL), hyperketonemic, polyuric, and cachectic and had to be killed after 6 weeks. Despite comparable β-cell destruction in Gcgr−/− mice, none of the foregoing clinical or laboratory manifestations of diabetes appeared. There was marked α-cell hyperplasia and hyperglucagonemia (∼1,200 pg/mL), but hepatic phosphorylated cAMP response element binding protein and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase mRNA were profoundly reduced compared with Gcgr+/+ mice with diabetes—evidence that glucagon action had been effectively blocked. Fasting glucose levels and oral and intraperitoneal glucose tolerance tests were normal. Both fasting and nonfasting free fatty acid levels and nonfasting β-hydroxy butyrate levels were lower.

Quote:
Those studies led to a search for a therapeutic suppressor of diabetic hyperglucagonemia or blocker of its action on the liver. In the 37 years since the discovery of somatostatin, only one other potent glucagon-suppressing substance, leptin, has been identified (11,12).

I've always found this bit interesting--that the "lipostat" hormone that's supposed to control body fat can also control blood glucose and thus insulin.

Quote:
To account for the perfectly normal glucose tolerance in insulin-deficient mice with congenital lack of glucagon action, one can posit that insulin action during glucose absorption is largely directed toward overcoming the hepatic actions of glucagon during the preglucose fast. In this case, if glucagon action on the liver is absent, there is little, if anything, for insulin to do because the liver is already in a permanent storage mode. Therefore, when the liver has never experienced the action of glucagon, as in the Gcgr−/− mice, glucose disposition without insulin is no different than when both hormones are normally active (36). It should also be noted that fasting and fed FFA levels (Fig. 3A) were both lower in insulin-deficient Gcgr−/− mice than in insulin-deficient Gcgr+/+ mice, suggesting that, at least when unopposed by insulin, glucagon may have lipolytic action in adipocytes, as it does in hepatocytes.

I wonder from this what the fasting tolerance is like in these animals. Maybe reactive hypoglycemia isn't an issue.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-15, 14:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I could've sworn he has a number of mice that produce no insulin, proving that it isn't necessary. At least, not in mice and (dogs, I think).
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 15:23

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Default Amylin and glucagon

#13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 17:20

BF:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18458326

Quote:
Leptin responsiveness restored by amylin agonism in diet-induced obesity: evidence from nonclinical and clinical studies.
Roth JD1, Roland BL, Cole RL, Trevaskis JL, Weyer C, Koda JE, Anderson CM, Parkes DG, Baron AD.
Author information
Abstract
Body weight is regulated by complex neurohormonal interactions between endocrine signals of long-term adiposity (e.g., leptin, a hypothalamic signal) and short-term satiety (e.g., amylin, a hindbrain signal). We report that concurrent peripheral administration of amylin and leptin elicits synergistic, fat-specific weight loss in leptin-resistant, diet-induced obese rats. Weight loss synergy was specific to amylin treatment, compared with other anorexigenic peptides, and dissociable from amylin's effect on food intake. The addition of leptin after amylin pretreatment elicited further weight loss, compared with either monotherapy condition. In a 24-week randomized, double-blind, clinical proof-of-concept study in overweight/obese subjects, coadministration of recombinant human leptin and the amylin analog pramlintide elicited 12.7% mean weight loss, significantly more than was observed with either treatment alone (P < 0.01). In obese rats, amylin pretreatment partially restored hypothalamic leptin signaling (pSTAT3 immunoreactivity) within the ventromedial, but not the arcuate nucleus and up-regulated basal and leptin-stimulated signaling in the hindbrain area postrema. These findings provide both nonclinical and clinical evidence that amylin agonism restored leptin responsiveness in diet-induced obesity, suggesting that integrated neurohormonal approaches to obesity pharmacotherapy may facilitate greater weight loss by harnessing naturally occurring synergies.

This maybe fits in with Squarecube's article about amylin as a glucagon suppressor. Glucagon drives blood glucose drives insulin, drives fat gain (and possibly leptin resistance). Suppress glucagon, suppress obesity? With or without diabetes.

But then there's this;

Quote:
Pancreatic hormone linked with severe heart disease in obese and diabetic patients

Severe heart damage in people who are obese and diabetic is linked with a pancreatic hormone called amylin, UC Davis researchers have found.

In the failing hearts of patients who were obese and diabetic, the scientists discovered strings of proteins, small fibers and plaques made of amylin, the hormone that produces the feeling of being full after eating. They also showed in an animal model that amylin accumulation in the heart leads to heart muscle destruction and failure.

Published in the February 17 issue of the journal Circulation Research, the study also found amylin buildup in overweight patients who are not obese, suggesting the potentially dangerous accumulations may start before a diabetes diagnosis.

Heart failure is the number-one killer in obese and diabetic populations. Controlling the circulation of amylin hormone in the blood might lessen or prevent disabilities and deaths from heart disease, the scientists said.

Not that amylin is bad, I guess. Not needing too much of it, so it's not overproduced (or over-injected) to help control blood glucose seems like a good idea.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/newsroom/6266
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 18:22

BF:

Quote:
Human amylin is a very aggressive amyloid-forming peptide.21–23,28–36 Over 95% of insulin resistant patients that develop overt T2D display amylin amyloids in the pancreas.21 The initial oligomerization process, which may also involve proamylin,39–41 occurs within the secretory pathway of pancreatic β-cells39 and is associated with a chronic hyperglycemic stress.40,41 Amylin oligomerization and amyloid deposition contribute to pancreatic β-cell dysfunction and apoptosis leading to depletion of β-cell mass and development of T2D.21 Oligomerized amylin also accumulates in heart22 and kidneys23 accelerating diabetic heart failure.22

Another connection between blood glucose and Alzheimer's. The red--does that mean damaged amylin is being released from the beta cells? If the oligomerization is happening there, and not in the organs it ends up accumulating in, I guess that could be good news for injected amylin.

Bad amylin=hyperglycemia=need for amylin=more bad amylin....

Quote:
Amylin deposition in the brain: A second amyloid in Alzheimer disease?

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
Hyperamylinemia, a common pancreatic disorder in obese and insulin-resistant patients, is known to cause amylin oligomerization and cytotoxicity in pancreatic islets, leading to β-cell mass depletion and development of type 2 diabetes. Recent data has revealed that hyperamylinemia also affects the vascular system, heart, and kidneys. We therefore hypothesized that oligomerized amylin might accumulate in the cerebrovascular system and brain parenchyma of diabetic patients.
METHODS:
Amylin accumulation in the brain of diabetic patients with vascular dementia or Alzheimer disease (AD), nondiabetic patients with AD, and age-matched healthy controls was assessed by quantitative real time polymerase chain reaction, immunohistochemistry, Western blot, and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
RESULTS:
Amylin oligomers and plaques were identified in the temporal lobe gray matter from diabetic patients, but not controls. In addition, extensive amylin deposition was found in blood vessels and perivascular spaces. Intriguingly, amylin deposition was also detected in blood vessels and brain parenchyma of patients with late onset AD without clinically apparent diabetes. Mixed amylin and amyloid β (Aβ) deposits were occasionally observed. However, amylin accumulation leads to amyloid formation independent of Aβ deposition. Tissues infiltrated by amylin showed increased interstitial space, vacuolation, spongiform change, and capillaries bent at amylin accumulation sites. Unlike the pancreas, there was no evidence of amylin synthesis in the brain.
INTERPRETATION:
Metabolic disorders and aging promote accumulation of amylin amyloid in the cerebrovascular system and gray matter, altering microvasculature and tissue structure. Amylin amyloid formation in the wall of cerebral blood vessels may also induce failure of elimination of Aβ from the brain, thus contributing to the etiology of AD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3818462/
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-15, 12:22

BF:

I just came across this study;

Quote:
Anti-diabetic activity of insulin-degrading enzyme inhibitors mediated by multiple hormones.
Maianti JP1, McFedries A1, Foda ZH2, Kleiner RE1, Du XQ3, Leissring MA4, Tang WJ5, Charron MJ3, Seeliger MA2, Saghatelian A1, Liu DR6.
Author information
Abstract
Despite decades of speculation that inhibiting endogenous insulin degradation might treat type-2 diabetes, and the identification of IDE (insulin-degrading enzyme) as a diabetes susceptibility gene, the relationship between the activity of the zinc metalloprotein IDE and glucose homeostasis remains unclear. Although Ide(-/-) mice have elevated insulin levels, they exhibit impaired, rather than improved, glucose tolerance that may arise from compensatory insulin signalling dysfunction. IDE inhibitors that are active in vivo are therefore needed to elucidate IDE's physiological roles and to determine its potential to serve as a target for the treatment of diabetes. Here we report the discovery of a physiologically active IDE inhibitor identified from a DNA-templated macrocycle library. An X-ray structure of the macrocycle bound to IDE reveals that it engages a binding pocket away from the catalytic site, which explains its remarkable selectivity. Treatment of lean and obese mice with this inhibitor shows that IDE regulates the abundance and signalling of glucagon and amylin, in addition to that of insulin. Under physiological conditions that augment insulin and amylin levels, such as oral glucose administration, acute IDE inhibition leads to substantially improved glucose tolerance and slower gastric emptying. These findings demonstrate the feasibility of modulating IDE activity as a new therapeutic strategy to treat type-2 diabetes and expand our understanding of the roles of IDE in glucose and hormone regulation.

Cliff notes; insulin degrading enzyme is a target to lower blood glucose in diabetes; keep insulin high by blocking the enzyme, blood glucose should be lower. Turns out the enzyme that degrades insulin also degrades glucagon and amylin. So the effect of blocking the enzyme depends on the ratio of glucagon to insulin. If the glucagon to insulin ratio is high enough--block the enzyme, and most of what it would have been doing is taking down glucagon, so glucagon stays high, and so does blood glucose. When insulin is dominant, as here

Quote:
Under physiological conditions that augment insulin and amylin levels, such as oral glucose administration, acute IDE inhibition leads to substantially improved glucose tolerance and slower gastric emptying.

then it's primarily the degradation of insulin that's being blocked, so glucose goes down.

Sort of an elegance suggested here, where when things are in balance, the same enzyme degrading hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic-promoting hormones might help keep things balanced--help the system find a lower level of glucagon and insulin while maintaining normal blood glucose, free fatty acids, etc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24847884

I found this interesting as well (was wondering what other hormones "insulin" degrading enzymes might work on, like leptin.) I don't know if it degrades leptin but there is a relation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3560472/

Quote:
Leptin decreases Aβ levels by targeting all facets of Aβ metabolism, namely – production, clearance, and degradation. We have shown that leptin increases the expression levels of insulin degrading enzyme (IDE) putatively by activating the Akt pathway [223], thus augmenting the degradation of Aβ.

Aβ is the amyloid plaque that accumulates in the brains of people with Alzheimer's.