Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 06:56

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default "Biggest Loser" winner speaks out about the show

I am so glad this program is off the air. I watched an episode once showing a trainer shouting at a 600 lb man to run faster. The man was obviously struggling. I felt much of the program was trying to prove that exercise was an aid to weight loss but how much exercise was the issue and at what cost?

The winner for the 3rd season of the program describes her experience and aftermath of being on the program. It is a horror story. TV reality shows will go to any lengths to get a good visual no matter how the contestants are harmed in the process.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...intcmp=features

This is the newspaper article: http://nypost.com/2015/01/18/contes...-biggest-loser/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 15:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

This sort of thing is what really encourages people to get in shape. NOT!!

I've never watched this show, but I'm not especially sympathetic to the whistle-blower. What did she expect?? Stockholm Syndrome or not, quitting when you believe your life is in danger might still cross one's mind. Reality shows never did succeed on the basis of kindness, gentleness, and friendly feelings toward others. Everybody knows it's all about $$$$.

I am very sorry the show lasted for so long while doing actual harm. Apparently viewers, like Romans in the Colosseum, liked watching that.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 15:21

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I'm pretty sure they select people for those shows based on self destructive tendencies.

People definitely like watching people fail

and cats, cats fail spectacularly
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 17:56
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I'm pretty sure you could reframe all that as "How individually terrorizing people can get them to do anything. Including lose scale-weight," but that seemed rather obvious at the start.

I have never been able to watch reality TV. I can't even watch pseudo-reality TV. Actually, I can't much watch TV, although I can watch occasional movies and shows-with-no-commercials ON a TV. I just don't seem to have the personality profile for it, whatever that is.

I suspect Jillian Michaels is chromosomally male, and if someone treated me like they treat their contestants my answer would start with a pistol. It's all very well for people to say now, "Oh, it was so abusive!" but HELLO, that was obvious to what, like everyone in the world but them?

PJ
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-15, 11:33

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow

I suspect Jillian Michaels is chromosomally male

I'm sorry, but what exactly are you basing that on? If that was a joke because she yells and acts tough it's not funny and very sexist, and if you're serious it feels like a disrespectful thing speculate about because it's none of your business, and there's no reason to think it's true because Jillian Michaels has talked about having PCOS (meaning she has ovaries!).
Hyperandrogenism is a symptom, which, obviously, can cause masculinized features and hirsutism.
I have PCOS with hirsutism too, and I'd be really upset if I thought people were speculating that must be genetically male because of how I look!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-15, 11:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 200/200/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I am so glad this program is off the air.

Wait, they've cancelled the show for good?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-15, 12:14

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Why can't they do the show, but without all the extraneous drama and extreme exercise? I'd watch it. Dieting is tough enough and there is a lot they could do other than the above. Can't see why viewers wouldn't like friendly competition and challenges.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-15, 12:29

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
Why can't they do the show, but without all the extraneous drama and extreme exercise? I'd watch it. Dieting is tough enough and there is a lot they could do other than the above. Can't see why viewers wouldn't like friendly competition and challenges.

I think it's because you're a minority in that. A lot of people, whether they really admit it or not, do like it for the train-wreak aspect. They like seeing fat people screaming and puking while working out because the un-spoken idea is they deserve it for being fat.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-15, 15:30
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I don't think that the show is off the air. I just Googled that and it did not come up.
I watch sometimes. I root for all of them to achieve their goals. I find it painful to watch at times though.

If they really do fat shaming, shame on them!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-15, 21:02
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
it feels like a disrespectful thing speculate about

I apologize for hurting your feelings. No offense intended.

PJ
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-15, 10:10

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
the un-spoken idea is they deserve it for being fat.
Isn't this a sad and sinister thought? But there's truth in it. It's the same spirit that causes me to "critique" the groceries placed on the cashier belt at the grocery store by the person in front of me.

I'm trying to create a more compassionate inner space. I'm persuaded by much LC reading that "it's not your fault" is a good starting place for any successful weight management journey. Guilt (or shame) is not motivating at any point.

Unless you're getting paid big bucks for it as a tv victim.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 15:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Dear heavens!

Quote:
Hibbard’s own health declined dramatically. “My hair was falling out,” she says. “My period stopped. I was only sleeping three hours a night.” Hibbard says that to this day, her period is irregular, her hair still falls out, and her knees “sound like Saran Wrap” every time she goes up and down stairs. “My thyroid, which I never had problems with, is now crap,” she says.

It seems obvious to an outsider that anyone sensible would bail when they are suffering so much. But I'm sure the audition process weeds out those who are not sufficiently "motivated." I'm sure they look for people who feel desperate.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 15:44

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

the contestant in that article did not win season 3.

Love this season though.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 16:11

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
After an initial winnowing process, 14 of 50 finalists are taken to “the ranch,” where they live, work out and suffer in seclusion. (The remaining 36 are sent home to lose weight on their own, and return later in the season.)
Those who remain, Hibbard says, are not allowed to call home. “You might give away show secrets,” she says. After six weeks, contestants get to make a five-minute call, monitored by production.

How to show that 6 hour workouts and calorie restriction "work" for weight loss.

1)choose the 28 percent of candidates it's most likely to work for.
2)each week, send home somebody it didn't work for.

As time goes by, you end up with the people most consistently and highly responsive to this type of program.

3)based on this, tell people at home "if these guys can do it, so can you!"

Quote:
Hibbard’s own health declined dramatically. “My hair was falling out,” she says. “My period stopped. I was only sleeping three hours a night.” Hibbard says that to this day, her period is irregular, her hair still falls out, and her knees “sound like Saran Wrap” every time she goes up and down stairs. “My thyroid, which I never had problems with, is now crap,” she says.

With the thyroid, I wonder how much of her weight loss she's maintained--and what she's done to maintain it. A person who loses a hundred pounds isn't going to be the same as a person who never had 100 pounds to lose in the first place.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 18:01
Every moment is NOW.

To be fair, some of those symptoms can even hit people on other kinds of diets at home, even without the barbaric reality-show-torture vacation package. Often those symptoms are not all that apparent until the end-stage and after a 1-3 month hard diet, so it's not like that was obvious to her after a week and she chose to ignore it.

Quote:
3)based on this, tell people at home "if these guys can do it, so can you!"

Exactly. It seems to me what this protocol evidences is that even with insane amounts of total environmental control and trainers and more, still, only 1 in 4 people were even able to seemingly do ok with that.

That reminds me of the joke about Oprah, of course -- that if she with all her money and ambition for thin is still heavy, everybody else oughtta relax on the "should have" front, because if it really could be done that easily she'd for sure have already done it. I mean when a person can afford personal chefs, personal trainers, the finest foods in the world, and so on, and they still aren't perfect, it's a clue that the perfect is probably a myth to begin with.

PJ