Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-15, 23:18

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Janet -- thanks for quoting Bernstein and clarifying his thoughts on the vitamin C issue. I had mis-stated a bit -- I was going from memory and got it a little mixed up it seems. Getting old I'm also confused but I'm sure Bernstein (as meticulous as he is) saw several patients affected negatively by Vit. C. I stopped taking any Vit. C for the time being because I want as accurate BG readings as I can have but if I think I need it I would take it again. The bottom line is that all of our bodies are different, some tolerate more carbs that others and I'll bet some can handle vitamin C supplements more than others, in regards to blood sugars. As with so many other things in this way of eating and living I suppose we must be observant and experiment with what is right for us.

Last edited by Whited : Sat, Mar-07-15 at 07:43.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-15, 08:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Admittedly, I am doing lots of things at once. Continuing to fast, improving my "gut microbiome" with veggies, fiber, probiotics, sometimes vinegar when I remember, and on .

but I was just refilling my vitamin keeper (twice a day, many vitamins, no meds but can't remember to take these either without the little boxes !) and noticed I had stopped taking Time Released 2000g Vit C about a month ago.
My BG is only 86, still fasting, but past any dawn effect.

Ummmmmm? Could it have been vitamins?? Anyone else give up Vit C and see lower numbers?

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Mar-31-15 at 14:57.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-15, 06:33

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
From Bernstein's book, 2007:

"Dietary vitamin C is important to good health. In doses above 500 mg/day, however, vitamin C supplements can destroy the enzymes on blood sugar test strips and can also raise blood sugars. Finally, in levels higher than about 400 mg/day, vitamin C becomes an oxidant rather than an antioxidant and can cause neuropathies. If you are already taking supplemental Vitamin C, I urge you to taper it off or lower your dose to no more than 250 mg daily. Only use the timed-release form."

In the Atkins Diabetes book: ..."if you have insulin/blood sugar imbalances, the minimum should be 2,000mg" What I take in a split dose as advised. Dr. Atkins was a big fan of Vitamin C for many reasons. So color me confused.

I notice that when I take higher than 500mgs it raises my glucose. Thanks for this information. I haven't taken high doses in a long time. High doses of fish oil do the same thing. It doesn't raise it extremely high but I notice my fasting levels the next day are higher after high doses of fish oil. I switched to turmeric for inflammation and it works well and I think it even helps lower glucose slightly.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-04-15, 11:29

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Somewhere recently I read an explanation of why high-dose vitamin C supplementation was not a good thing (in the context of a low-carb diet being good). I'm wracking my brain but can't think of where I read that--if I find it I'll post that info.

I have to say, I tend to agree with high-dose supplements not being great--if it is more that you would get eating "real food", it doesn't make much sense to me. There is also so much research coming out that points to the fact that nutrients in real food are utilized much better, due to often unknown "cofactors" in food. Plus there is always the issue of the body adjusting to higher doses, and then what happens when you miss a day or two?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-15, 04:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That's why I have one of those twice a day, weekly gizmo boxes for old ladies...at least I get my overdoses on a regular schedule!
I am becoming more cautious, especially since the supplement industry is so unregulated. But as a Cancer survivor, some of these recommendations have come from reputable studies. Keeping my Vit D level between 50-80 is one. Taking 2000 of Vit C daily was from another, but I never considered the impact that could have on BG. Maybe all this time I was concerned that long term Very low carb was rising BG...it was in fact from increased C? With fasting too, I can't be sure what happened. My vitamin list was just reviewed by a new PCP....she only questioned my high Vit D dose but with eating more veg on Dr Fung's plan, thinking I will back off some others too.