Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 09:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Favorite LC/Paleo/nutrition podcasts

I just listened to one of the many podcasts I subscribe to, Dishing Up Nutrition, and they mentioned it was selected for Greatist's 19 Best Health and Fitness Podcasts of all time list. Here is the whole list, know that it includes plant-based diets and fitness as well, but it has specific episode recommendations if you have not listened to podcasts before.

http://greatist.com/discover/best-h...itness-podcasts

What are YOUR favorite podcasts?

I listen podcasts when walking and driving around town, content is extra reinforcement of this way of eating and the latest information about this lifestyle.
I would add Primal Blueprint (new this year to podcasting), Chris Kresser (often easier to read the transcript, his speaking voice and speed leaves something to be desired) Underground Wellness, The Paleo View (skip the beginning chit-chat) and of course, Jimmy Moore's Livin La Vida Low Carb. 900+ episodes!
And remove Jillian Michaels

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-08-15 at 09:24.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 09:47

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i like some of those ones, and would add mike mutzel's high intensity health radio
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 09:50

Plan: Atkins (DNDR) & Exercise
Stats: 235/198/170 Male 69
BF:39%/28%/15%
Progress: 57%

I've never listened to a "podcast." What is it?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 10:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

A podcast is basically an on-line, on-demand radio show.

The Primal Edge Health Show is a relative newcomer, the host is very gung-ho on ketogenic diets, mostly as it relates to fitness. I also like some of the Smash the fat interviews, but people with delicate ears might want to turn down the volume a little bit.

I find Jonathan Bailor gives a pretty good interview. Often a guest that I've seen in two or three interviews will get repetitive--the questions so obvious, that it's essentially like watching the same interview again and again, some interviewers are better at covering new ground than others.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 11:16

Thanks teaser.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 11:22

Hi Beer,
Btw, do you have a name so we don't have to call you Beer?

If you have an iPhone or iPad, or android, go to the iTunes/Podcast store (or Music or App Store), get into "categories" and search around "Health and Fitness" for whatever sounds good, that way you can take the interviews with you anywhere.
If you don't have mobile devices, most podcasts can be found on the author's website as audio files. This archive of shows is great for the basics on specific topics, Ask the Low Carb Experts:
http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com
Early in the series Mark Sisson did one on Ketosis

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-08-15 at 11:57.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 12:52

Quote:
Hi Beer, Btw, do you have a name so we don't have to call you Beer?

Janet, please call me Rich, if you like.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 14:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/169/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm glad you started this Janet. I haven't listened to any podcasts yet but definitely plan on starting! I'm a big audiobook fan so this will be perfect for those 'inbetween' book times!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-15, 13:09

Walnut, i have been really enjoying Mike Mutzel's High Intensity podcast. He is a good interviewer, and has interesting medical and nutrition experts that are less well known.

Every once in a while I check the iTunes Health & Fitness rankings, both FatBurnig Man and Bulletproof #1) were ahead of Jillian Michaels, and a Primal one I had never heard of before was around #5. Elizabth Benton of Primal Potential. Few interviews, it focuses more on her views on diet, giving practical tips and customizing advice for various conditions. She has lost 140 pounds by basically a LC and primal approach (one book she recommended is Metabolic Effect by the Teta brothers), has a nutrition education, and mixes in a lot of hormone and psychological advice info. Production is a bit slick, but her upbeat and practical tips may be helpful to someone struggling. She only started her blog in Jan 2014, so she appeals to some to have a highly ranked podcast already. http://primalpotential.com I've only listened to a few podcasts, but lots of good basic tips to help someone get started.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 16:06

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Sam Felton's "Smash the Fat" are usually good, I finish listening to about 2 out of three of them. Mostly I think the always upbeat with an accent, excited about life way he comes across is the best part.

Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Lowcarb is great, but his "Low Carb Conversations" is good also, I enjoy the format.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 19:48

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you for sharing. Dishing Up Nutrition plays live on a local (to me) radio station. I even thought about doing one of their classes, but it didn't work out with my schedule. Then I found my doctor. I am excited to give a listen to some of these podcasts.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-16-15, 04:13

The nutritionists at Dishing Up Nutrition are so sweet, I would love to meet them in person for a class. http://www.weightandwellness.com Their shows are always very basic but with helpful, practical tips. Look back through the entire podcast library, they stick to the topic of the week. You get ads for the classes and supplements, but hey, it is a low budget radio show
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 06:56

Mark Sisson posted his Favorite Podcasts, including some non-fitness podcasts as well. He has asked for comments, so his readers will add their favorites as well. Good List, agree with Radio Lab, he didn't list a podcast episode named something like "You are what your Grandfather Ate"
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/9-pr...ng-to/#comments
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-23-16, 06:09

One of the non-Nutrition podcasts I subscribe to is Freakonomics. Have had a series on self-improvement and the recent Tim Ferris episode includes nutrition, sleep, etc. Dubner agrees that LF diets have caused damage in the past, embraces new research in high fat. If you don't have time to listen, it's sardines for breakfast every day and grass-fed beef and green beans for a meal out. Either Ferris has mellowed or I am more accepting of bio-hacking, but he was less of a jerk than I remember. http://freakonomics.com
His own recent podcast interview with Dom D'Agastino was also very good, if you have an interest in cancer prevention.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-23-16, 08:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Abel James does a good job with his podcasts on Fat Burning Man. He has some guests that are nutritionally non-denominational as well. He's got some interesting stuff on his website with a bit of marketing that I find easy to ignore:

http://fatburningman.com/category/podcasts/