Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 19:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieshops
Fresh baby spinach has been the best veggie for me ever. I buy the giant container of organic at Sam's or Costco and finish it off in less than a week. I read that you get different nutrients from sautéed vs fresh so I started adding some to a one egg omelet or mixing it in with a couple of scrambled eggs with cheese and loving it. Before lc veggies were just something I was supposed to eat. Now I have some with all 3 meals most days. Crazy!

YAY!! Marie, That's so great, you must be so healthy because of the way you eat. I think that's absolutely how to do this WOE.
Wow between you and Patricia and Mr.E you all are a wonderful influence and shining stars on how to eat properly!!
I really mean it.
You don't know how wonderful it is to hear about eating veggies three times a day.

I just put in the oven a chunky mixture of Zucchini, Red Pepper, Onion, and mushrooms with garlic salt and Olive oil.
I think I might go and throw some garlic in in a minute. I love it but the carbs are so high at 1g per clove. I try to control my onion too for the same reason.
I've really always have eaten fresh veggies like this every day, my problem was carbs like rice and potatoes added to the meal.
But don't need or want them anymore

Mr.E I do know about crudité because my mother was born in France..
Anyway you can eat those veggies, I say go for it!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 19:47

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I have been able to scratch my onion itch a bit by using scallions instead - they are on my list of allowable anytime veggies, and I use them a lot!

I've also got "tricks" like for coconut curry chicken, I use some extra virgin coconut oil (small amount, just enough to do the trick), some boneless chicken thighs that I season with salt and pepper and a good curry powder, then I cook them in the hot oil, with a lid on, until done - they actually get a bit crusty, and the flavor of the coconut is there without breading or using a coconut milk or coconut cream.

I love zucchini noodles speaking of zucchini - a cup of those sautéed in a teense of lemon olive oil is delish. No need for a sauce.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 21:11

BF:

Yes I do that too with scallions/green onions. The carb count on them is so low as compared to a big onion...
I just bought this really interesting curry mix which I think is Jamaican curry powder which has a lot of good ingredients in it like Tumeric,Coriander,Foenugreek?,Salt, Cumin, Allspice,pepper and garlic.
Now I know what to do with it.
So cooking the chicken curry dish with the virgin coconut oil which tastes like coconut tastes good? I'll try it, I need new tastes.
I've only put it in my coffee so far. It reminds me of dessert a little bit. Like an Almond Joy or Mounds bar. lol
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Yes I do that too with scallions/green onions. The carb count on them is so low as compared to a big onion...
I just bought this really interesting curry mix which I think is Jamaican curry powder which has a lot of good ingredients in it like Tumeric,Coriander,Foenugreek?,Salt, Cumin, Allspice,pepper and garlic.
Now I know what to do with it.
So cooking the chicken curry dish with the virgin coconut oil which tastes like coconut tastes good? I'll try it, I need new tastes.
I've only put it in my coffee so far. It reminds me of dessert a little bit. Like an Almond Joy or Mounds bar. lol

Well I think it tastes good and at least one person in the main cad/calp list has made it this way and liked it. So..maybe try just one tiny thigh sometime, to be sure.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 22:18

BF:

It's a whole new group of spices and flavors that I want to learn how to cook.
I LOVE Indian food and in fact there is a buffet that I used to go to but have been afraid since starting this WOE because although I love the dishes, I'm not sure what's in each one(carbs). I recently found out that a spinach dish that they always serve, doesn't have yoghurt in it as I thought but an Indian cheese which they cut into cubes, so that should be ok.
There is Tandori chicken which I love too.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 00:14

Quote:
It's a whole new group of spices and flavors that I want to learn how to cook.
I LOVE Indian food and in fact there is a buffet that I used to go to but have been afraid since starting this WOE because although I love the dishes, I'm not sure what's in each one(carbs). I recently found out that a spinach dish that they always serve, doesn't have yoghurt in it as I thought but an Indian cheese which they cut into cubes, so that should be ok.
There is Tandori chicken which I love too.

Sounds like a spinach dish I adore that has paneer cheese in it

I don't know all the parameters of how many carbs you are taking in, if you do net carbs or not but here is a recipe with 6 net carbs per serving that looked good - I adore this food blogger and many of her recipes.
Orange Chicken
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 04:22

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thank you do much for this!
Meme, also good suggestions. I haven't been taking any supplements. .I always feel better when I do. Love this thread^!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
I found one thing that helps me over the long run, is keeping a daily journal of every bite I eat (I use my fitness pal dot com and their free account. you can manually set your own parameters for sodium/fat/protein).
If I think I'm on plan but get that itchy, restless, "I want something, don't know what" feeling that used to send me into constant picking and grazing (with minimal satisfaction), I know I've eaten something that has triggered me/triggered cravings. I try to figure out what, so I don't do it again and eat super on plan, my favorite on plan foods, for the next couple of days. It usually doesn't take longer than several days to get back to the bliss of not craving.
Someone on a list I was once on, would hit the cravings with what she called "protein bullets". I have found this to work really well. I.e. I'm a smoked oyster freak. Love the suckers, and one tin with a favorite veggie works well for me for a small lunch.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 06:41

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

You guys are so adventuress with your food and spices. My husband is more like that. I on the other hand keep things pretty simple and boring. Luckily, eating low carb seems to heighten your taste buds. It's like you can taste and savor every little thing in a dish - the extra sharp cheddar or just a clove of garlic minced and added in something stands out. I guess when everything isn't breaded and smothered or paired with carbs, you can actually taste the real food!
You have made me want scallions now - diced up and added with my eggs sounds really good right now!
Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Thanks for being such positive happy people.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 10:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFern
Thank you do much for this!
Meme, also good suggestions. I haven't been taking any supplements. .I always feel better when I do. Love this thread^!

Yes Greenfern, do get some magnesium and potassium, you'll be glad you did. I have had dizzy spells and even was seeing spots for a couple of days because of loosing all of my minerals on this WOE.

I love Patricia's ideas about "Protein Bullets". I also keep canned smoked oysters on hand for a different taste. Here is another one I keep on hand when I just can't figure what I need.....you might say yuck but here goes, canned anchovies.. Just one tiny can really gives me a big taste punch.. lolol
I have a friend who has hit and maintained goal and she said that once she was having really bad cravings so she oven baked some chicken thighs until the skin was really crispy and then ate all the crispy skin...Crunch, crunch crunch!!
Marie, You are right, on this WOE you do taste everything much more than before and something I've noticed for the past few months is that I smell so much better. This is crazy but I've noticed when I am out in public that almost once per day I will pass someone with a certain smell and every time I notice that it's the same smell. I have even smelled it when walking into a store and it's the cashier or walking down an isle and it is a certain person and when they leave the isle the small stays because it is so strong to me.
I'm starting to wonder what it is about these certain people...could it be acidosis which is a state when the body can have cancer? IDK?
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 20:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
Sounds like a spinach dish I adore that has paneer cheese in it

I don't know all the parameters of how many carbs you are taking in, if you do net carbs or not but here is a recipe with 6 net carbs per serving that looked good - I adore this food blogger and many of her recipes.
Orange Chicken

Patricia, I made the chicken tonight with my Jamaican Curry and cooked it in the unprocessed coconut oil that I bought today and it was amazing. I also cooked brussell sprouts cut in half and added bacon, stir frying it until carmalezed....so good.
You have the name of the Indian spinach with the cheese-(paneer) All together they call it Sag?spellling Paneer

Oh and next chicken is going to be the orange chicken and I loved that
web-site, thanks for the link...
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 21:15

Quote:
Patricia, I made the chicken tonight with my Jamaican Curry and cooked it in the unprocessed coconut oil that I bought today and it was amazing. I also cooked brussell sprouts cut in half and added bacon, stir frying it until carmalezed....so good.
You have the name of the Indian spinach with the cheese-(paneer) All together they call it Sag?spellling Paneer

Oh and next chicken is going to be the orange chicken and I loved that
web-site, thanks for the link...

Yay! So glad you like the coconut curry chicken idea
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 22:20

BF:

Even though I'm working on the scale I had a little nice surprise this afternoon when I went to look for pants. I've gone from size 16 to almost 14. They buttened and zipped and should fit fine soon.
I haven't seen that size in 12 years Yay
PS I started out in 18 and 20, 1x shirts moving toward 2x those are all gone and donated now. Next is size 12.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 06:11

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Meme#1, Congrats on the new pant size. Even better than seeing the numbers move down on the scale is fitting in a smaller size! I am so happy for you.

I agree with you on the sense of smell getting stronger along with taste. For me, eating clean Atkins seems to have cleared up any sinus congestion or issues. My guess is that whatever grains I was eating in my old life caused allergic reactions that at the time I thought was normal. My husband laughs at me now. He can walk in after being out with his buddies and I can tell by smell what he ate, drank, etc. Super Senses!

Hope everyone has a great day and doesn't freeze. It's too cold here. I'm in Charleston, SC and our wind chill is 5
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 07:26
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

You folx make me wish I could cook. All I got out of that cooking what you eat equation is that I can eat.
Been doing very well, diet-wise. Still need to finesse the meat to veggie ratio, add in a few carbs allowed by Atkins 40 that I have not been eating (like low carb wraps)...and then settle down and put it on auto-pilot.
I have a handful of foods I can eat often: beef or bison or chicken chili with 1/4 the normal amount of bean; pot roast with lots of good veggies (so they soak up that "flavor") meaning no carrots or potatoes; turkey; meatloaf, and any breakfast meat and eggs cooked any way.
Breakfast is already on auto pilot. I will add cottage cheese or Greek yogurt and fresh berries a few days a week so my questionable (but allowed on A-40) carbs are done early as opposed to as an afternoon snack.
And I have blessed myself by allowing me to spend a bit more on groceries/food by buying the good stuff and it is making a difference.
So far, the less "creative" I get (no frankenfoods) the better it does for me. Still enjoying the trip to better health.
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 09:38

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Even though I'm working on the scale I had a little nice surprise this afternoon when I went to look for pants. I've gone from size 16 to almost 14. They buttened and zipped and should fit fine soon.
I haven't seen that size in 12 years Yay
PS I started out in 18 and 20, 1x shirts moving toward 2x those are all gone and donated now. Next is size 12.

Congrats! So awesome!!!

I'm in a new decade. I haven't been in the 170's since freshman year in college. I'm 36, so that was a long time ago.

The thread ate my post a couple days ago, but I've been reading along.
KIU, guys.