Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 09:57

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Jacki, I think this is great that you are testing specific foods to see how YOU react.

I've never eaten pork rinds, nor have I checked their nutritional content. So they have a lot of protein? I thought they were just fat, which should have little to no effect on blood sugar. So, if they are high protein....where do they fall on the insulin index? If they are high (and teaser's comments about surface area make me think they are), you would squirt out a bunch of insulin (which might make you feel weird), then your liver would manufacture glucagon to raise your blood sugar back to normal range (teaser, as always, please correct if I've got this wrong).
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 10:20

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

According to my bag of pork rinds, 1/2 oz has 9g of protien and 5g of fat. I ate 1.5 oz or 3 servings alongwith my normal meal which had 2 eggs and then the protien in the sour cream. I am thinking between all the protien at once and the fast acting protien in the pork rinds did me in.

There is no wy I can eat that many oz of pork rinds without a dip so testing this senerio again just isn't going to happen. I figure I wil simply grind of the rest of the pork rinds and not eat them as snacks. I do use them as a breading some times and I will deal with the little bit to coat meats. I don't really eat sour creat because I'm just not intrested in it unless its with pork rinds LOL So give up the snacking and no sour cream LOL

My egg drop soup has 2-3 eggs in it at a time. Even with 3 eggs that does not bring my BG up at all.

I just tested my BG roungly an hour after I was done with breakfast. Its down to 90. Its not coming down very fast at all. Its a no wonder I've been sick and feeling like crap all these years.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 11:08

BF:

Just checked my BG 60 min after eating my breakfast of 3 pieces of floppy bacon and 1 fried egg. My BG has finally dripped 80, tested again and got 93, so tested 2 more times and got 80 and 82. So I'm egnoring the 93 and going with the low 80 BGs. Going to keep my food choices very strict today as I want to keep it in the 80's and low 80's would make me happier as I am feeling anal about this

Thought, will my anul/impulsive side help keep me away from junk food and binging?
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-15, 20:08

BF:

Took my BG before supper this evening, it was 120, redid~97, again 90, again 90. Irritating as hell but I finally got 2 of the same readings in a row. I knew there was no way in hell my BG could be high, I haven't had anything between lunch and supper and luch BGs was low.

90 is not high and I don't know if I should be questioning it but I am. ALl yesterday they were running low to mid 80's and today they are up and down.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-15, 16:13

BF:

2 hours after my lunch I was hungry So I bit the bullet and ate a 3 oz bag of pork rinds and some sour cream to go with it. Checked my BG 3 times and each time my BG was in the 80's LOL I have to wonder what it was that jumped my BG that evening. Could have been too much protien with the pork rinds with my meal? Could it have been my SF gum? So many options to check out.

My fingers hurt
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 05:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Not to forget that at home test strips are not perfect by any means. 10% or something like that, random error rate, consider it an indication of your BG levels. Not a number writ in stone.
Sugar alcohols supposedly have a delayed glucose response, yea, even your SF gum. Continue to measure 2-3 hours after.
Are you using the sides of your finger tips, not the pad? That gives you dozens of painless locations to use, don't keep pricking the same fingers.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 07:10
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I know this sounds silly but wash your hands and dry them well before testing. I have at times prepared something to eat, remembered to check blood sugar first and if I handled anything with carbs, it will read a higher number if I didn't wash my hands. Lemon juice can raise it. Just a word to the wise.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 08:07

BF:

It ry to wash every time, I remember reading to do that once.

I'm going to be on the road tomorrow, would be a perfect time to do some serious gum chewing and test my BGs. Normally I binge when on the road and the gums cinnamen favor and mouth buisy thing does help.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 11:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Getting my husband a blood sugar meter and testing after some of his favorite meals really illuminated what his diet was doing to him. He's now gluten-free and fairly low carb.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 10:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ah! Here's the thread I was looking for. Jeff, I bought that meter you linked and it is testing very low compared to my Relion. Bah! I'm convinced it is incorrect.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 11:20

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ah! Here's the thread I was looking for. Jeff, I bought that meter you linked and it is testing very low compared to my Relion. Bah! I'm convinced it is incorrect.

Well that stinks.

Hope I can find a more accurate one that also has cheap test strips.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 11:32

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Have you checked the ReliOn against a more expensive meter? (Sorry if you've answered this already, too lazy to look back over older posts!) I've been checking my ReliOn against my Aviva Accu-Chek & the ReliOn is almost alway higher - sometimes insanely so. The Reli-On says that my BG is on a roller coaster from high to very high, while the Aviva is pretty steady.

So I'm not going to buy any more ReliOn strips. Even if they are cheap, they are too inaccurate to bother with. I can't afford to check my BG daily with the Aviva, but several spot checks during the week should let me know if I'm doing OK. Since I rarely eat off plan, it should be OK.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 11:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Nope, well, other than the one I just bought. I'm going to try to get the control solution and see what happens.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 11:58

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
H I can't afford to check my BG daily with the Aviva, but several spot checks during the week should let me know if I'm doing OK. Since I rarely eat off plan, it should be OK.

Yes indeed.

Kind of like weighing just once a week, rather than daily. You can still see trends, if as you say, your diet is pretty consistent from day to day anyway.

Seems to be that testing maybe 3 times a week, would give one all the data they need, and sure a lot cheaper than daily testing.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-15, 12:35

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

We're really talking 2 things here: consistency and accuracy. Relion may or may not be consistent, but is it accurate? The only real way to tell is to compare it against a venous blood draw done at essentially the same time.

As for the test solution, it will only tell you if your strips are *way* out of the tolerances for them. It does nothing to narrow the 10-20% tolerance manufacturers declare to be accurate enough. I even wonder if manufacturers build in an somewhat low reading, with the idea that it is better their insulin dependent customers have slightly high blood sugar than dangerously low.