Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-14, 16:34
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default High Corn Oil Dietary Intake Improves Health and Longevity of Aging Mice

Quote:
Corn oil has been recommended as a replacement for saturated fats because of its high levels of poly- and mono-unsaturated fatty acids. In the present study, we tested whether very high levels of corn oil (58.6% fat-derived calories, FDC) intake improve health and longevity of aging mice. Twelve month old male C57BL/6 mice were fed a normal diet (10% FDC of corn oil, N) or a high fat diet (58.6% FDC of corn oil, HF) for 13-15months. Our results show that a HF diet significantly increased the longevity of the aged mice (at 25months of age, 53.8% of mice died in the N group, whereas the mortality rate was only 23.2% in the HF group). High corn oil also reversed aging-increased blood lipids including triglyceride, total cholesterol and LDL. Similarly, high corn oil intake overturned aging-raised pro-inflammatory markers including IL-1β, IL-6, and monocyte chemotactic protein-1 (MCP-1) in the blood. In addition, corn oil intake reversed aging-damaged rotarod performance and liver function. Interestingly, the HF group was significantly heavier than the N group (53.6g/mouse vs. 41.3g/mouse); however, both HF and N groups had the same calorie intake (12.48kcal/d/mouse vs. 12.24kcal/d/mouse). Although, the HF group's food consumption was lower than that of the N group (2.4g/d/mouse vs. 3.4g/d/mouse). These results suggest that if total calorie consumption stays in the normal range, very high levels of corn oil intake improve health and longevity of aging mice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25193556
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-14, 20:47

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Corn oil has been recommended as a replacement for saturated fats because of its high levels of poly- and mono-unsaturated fatty acids.

I wonder how much healthier the experimental animals would have been if they had used a saturated fat such as coconut oil in comparison with corn oil? This study seems to suggest even one of the poorer quality fats, corn oil, was healthier for rodents than carbohydrate. I personally avoid corn oil precisely because of its high levels of poly- and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, because those unsaturated bonds are vulnerable to oxidation and make the product go rancid much more easily than natural fully saturated fats. Plus all the nasty processing needed to extract oil from a non-oily seed like corn. But even that was better for critters than carbohydrate. Interesting.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-14, 21:17

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I personally avoid corn oil precisely because of its high levels of poly- and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, because those unsaturated bonds are vulnerable to oxidation and make the product go rancid much more easily than natural fully saturated fats. Plus all the nasty processing needed to extract oil from a non-oily seed like corn.

Those were the 2 things that made me quit using corn oil. First a friend whose knowledge of food I respected told me how seed oils are extracted. Then shortly after that I had a bottle of corn oil go rancid just weeks after opening it. I went to olive oil, then added butter. Took me just about forever to find out how good other saturated fats are.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-14, 21:52

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I've gotten an already rancid smell from bottles of supposedly extra virgin olive oil right when first opened. With all the articles around warning a lot of "olive oil" is counterfeit I wonder if it might not be the real stuff, but even if it is it's already rancid when purchased. The really nice bottles that may be better don't fit into my budget, so I've moved to saturated fats, coconut oil and butter that don't go easily rancid. We tried refrigerated trans-fat-free grocery store lard but it too smelled kind of rancid. Lard has lots of mono- and poly-unsaturated fatty acids oxygen can react with. Too bad because lard tastes good and the grocery store stuff was an affordable price.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-14, 22:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I've been getting California Olive Ranch evoo from WalMart & so far, it's been great. Somewhere I read that it's one of the more reliable brands (if I'm remembering it right).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-14, 22:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Me too Bonnie,
I've been using it for about 6 months now and I love it.
I read an article about Olive oil and it said that some of the olive oil from Italy might not be 100% so when I found this brand which is made in the good old USA I bought it right away and it is great.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-14, 06:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Interestingly, the HF group was significantly heavier than the N group (53.6g/mouse vs. 41.3g/mouse); however, both HF and N groups had the same calorie intake (12.48kcal/d/mouse vs. 12.24kcal/d/mouse).

I see this all the time. They'll do a study with a high-fat diet, animals will eat more food for all of a week--and then calories end up the same as animals fed chow, but the high-fat fed animals continue to get fatter. So much for calorie density as an explanation for fattening effects of high-fat chow.

Peter at Hyperlipid has posted some stuff where animals who had difficulty storing fat--some form of adipose insulin resistance--had that rescued on a diet high in polyunsaturates. This might be a case where the polyunsaturates actually make the animals more insulin-sensitive. Healthier because they're able to get fatter. Not a cure most people would want to line up for.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-14, 19:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I've gotten an already rancid smell from bottles of supposedly extra virgin olive oil right when first opened. With all the articles around warning a lot of "olive oil" is counterfeit I wonder if it might not be the real stuff, but even if it is it's already rancid when purchased. The really nice bottles that may be better don't fit into my budget, so I've moved to saturated fats, coconut oil and butter that don't go easily rancid. We tried refrigerated trans-fat-free grocery store lard but it too smelled kind of rancid. Lard has lots of mono- and poly-unsaturated fatty acids oxygen can react with. Too bad because lard tastes good and the grocery store stuff was an affordable price.

Monosaturated fats are quite stable and produce negligible amount of ROS (reactive oxygen species). In addition, in a round-about way, the oleic acid (the primary fatty acid in monosaturated fat) activates a brain circuit that increases feelings of fullness. You're right, however, to be suspicious of the provenence of most so-called olive oils.

Lard is actually the best cooking fat.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-14, 20:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I've been getting California Olive Ranch evoo from WalMart & so far, it's been great. Somewhere I read that it's one of the more reliable brands (if I'm remembering it right).

Yes. That's one of the brands on a list of recommended olive oils.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 06:30
Lipivore

BF:

I've come across a proof of the full-text of the paper.

Of note, the corn oil used in the experiment isn't what's sitting on grocery store shelves or what most people have sitting in their pantries. They took care to make sure it was fresh, refrigerated, and unexposed to light.

Quote:
To ensure the stability of
the corn oil, diets were stored at 4 °C and were kept away from light. The
diets were replaced every week

This is misleading. I would very much liked to have seen a comparison of the corn oil that people actually buy which is most likely either oxidized or has used up its antioxidants and is easily oxidized once ingested. Olive oil can sit on a shelf or a pantry for a while without oxidizing. That might be why olive oil has been linked to longevity and reduced disease. Would liked to have seen olive oil and saturated fat compared as well.

The low fat mice had 10% of calories from fat. This is well within the McDougall, Esselstyn, Ornish range. But as a formulated diet, most of the calories came from cornstarch and then sucrose. Walter Kempner allowed his patients unlimited amounts of sugar. He claimed it was the reduction of fat and protein that was responsible for his patients' recovery. I don't doubt that claim but was their longevity ever measured beyond reduction of disease? Were they ever compared to people on a low carb or keto diet?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 07:17
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Corn=GMO

I gave up corn once I learned that it has all become Frankenfood.

I will never use corn oil.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 13:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Mice are corn-eaters, so no wonder they do well on corn oil.

As Jason Fung would say, "It's an animal study. I'd ignore it."
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 13:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

I wonder who funded the study?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 20:08
Lipivore

BF:

There are no conflicts of interest. This next study lends credence to it. O6 extends lifespan in worms via autophagy. It's also been shown to activate autophagy in mammalian cells, including human epithelial cells.

ω-6 Polyunsaturated fatty acids extend life span through the activation of autophagy

There are also countless observational studies linking nuts and peanuts to longevity consistently and strongly. They are high in O6 but are whole foods where the O6 isn't oxidized as in vegetable oils.

Ketones also stimulate autophagy. I wonder whether it'd be additive or redundant on a ketogenic diet.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 20:30

Plan: Composite/Atkins 1972
Stats: 220/196/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Checking for adulterated olive oil:
http://essentialstuff.org/index.php...fake-olive-oil/