Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-16, 15:36
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I had my hysterectomy before I was 40, so I don't really know when I entered menopause. At 40 my doctor automatically put me on HRT, at the time Premarin. As time passed the doctors changed me over to Estradiol, which I still use for heart health (and the accompany un-wrinkled skin). Two years ago I experimented by quitting, hoping it would lead to weight loss, but all it led to was night sweats. So I went back on, and my body reverted to normal, which is no night sweats, no hot flashes.

Based on the Women's Health Initiative (WHI), Medicare says no HRT for women over 65 so it's getting harder to talk a doctor into writing HRT prescriptions. My dosage has always been 1mg, but this week I started cutting my dosage to every other day to stretch my stash. I hate it that my medical fate is in the hands of my healthcare provider instead of my own. Will it take the AMA 50 years to find out they're killing women with their "care?" Food Pyramid anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 11:52

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

yes, its a shame. The reality is they don't know.

All they know based on WHI is if you take older women who weren't on HRT, then put them on a strong medicine (Prempro), you might find some issues for a small percent of them.

There are no long term studies for other kinds of hormones, and on younger women who had continuous supply.

The reason they say 5 years if that it's the next longest study that was done on estrogen only. It was done on younger women, using both a lower dose of Premarin only and a patch. (KEEPS) There were no heath issues of any kind found. So that's how we now have come up with the 5 years only rule.

My understanding is hot flashes are caused by fluctuations, not necessarily low estrogen. I don't take it though for hot flashes, I take it because my ortho pains become intense and I get very weak both physically and mentally and constant UTIs.