Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How many times have you Tried Low Carbing before succeeding
this is my First Time 315 35.31%
Back on the Wagon - Second Time 239 26.79%
Third Time is a Charm 124 13.90%
Lost Count 214 23.99%
Voters: 892. You may not vote on this poll

#76   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 15:38
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

This is my first time around with Atkins. I think it will be my only time. I was lucky enough to find this board when I was feeling weak and I know there are enough choices out there for me. I did the fat thing long enough, I want to spend the rest of my life thin and healthy. I know I can do it, and I will do it. I am just stubborn like that!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/214.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Unhappy I did it again...

I'm back again this time with my husband. When I gained 10 more pounds, he gained 20. We are both trying to stick with it and it has been 10 days now. Our clothes are starting to get looser and we plan to reward ourself with a vacation when we reach our goals. We hope to be there by late spring! The local stores are stocking more low carb stuff to make it easier this time!
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 15:37

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

2nd time... I didnt have a forum like this the first time around, where I could find encouraging advice and support.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 15:02
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I tried the South Beach diet early this summer and did not do well with it. I started Atkins in September and LOVE it! No more *diets* for me!!!!
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 22:31

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I guess I would say second. the first plan was CAD I did great. I switched to atkins after some time and did very well until about 11/2 yrs ago. I am finally back in the game. I feel like it is just one long journey and I messed up along the way. I love this wol much better than gaining weight or being on other "diets"!
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 12:12

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

Back in 1970 I lost 60 pounds on the Stillman diet. It was quick and easy. Then I met my husband and started eating all the things he liked and gained it all back. I lost it again doing Atkins when the first book came out, but got caught up in the low fat craze. I gained it all back and much more. I have tried everything else and I'm now back on the only thing that works for me, but it is much, much slower this time. I'll make it eventually and this time I recognize that it is a way of life.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 17:17
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 203/154/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Been on and off since 1997. I know the goods (losing all the weight, tons of energy) and the bads (feeling bad when I cheat, feeling like, "why did I eat that?" and gaining the weight back fast) of lc'ing. Due to health issues, I will never go back. I can't say I will never "cheat" but I don't call it a cheat, I call it an off the program day....that sounds better....
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 19:59

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

This is my second and last attempt.

I tried Atkins According to Paris in July 2003 and failed miserably because I cannot take direction. When I decided to LC again I really did the reseach, chose a plan that fits me best, and have memorized the manual.

I also have begun to "reprogram" my head so to speak. I have given away all of my LF/HC cookbooks, replaced them with awesome LC ones, and really started to re-orient my thinking as to what is "normal" (SAD is normal! I don't want to eat "normal!") and what I want in my life. I am also an active participant in OA and that has made a lot of difference for me.
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/205/180 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Second time around. I have been struggling with the weight issue since age 10. In 1978 I lost 60 lbs on the original Dr. Atkins plan within a six month period, w/out exercise. Dr. Atkins remains one of my hero's. I'm very disappointed in what Corporate Atkins has become, especially since his death.

Over the years, 50lbs of the weight has slowly come back. As I rationalized such ideas as 6 days on, 1 day off each week. The one day off grew to 4000 all carb calories some weeks.

This time around I'm going with the Protein Power Life Plan. PPLP is a bit more lenient about carbs, 30-40g in the first phase. The PPLP book is also more thorough and science based in it's explanation of why a low carb WOE works. They explain the interaction of carbs, insulin resistance, Type II diabetes, and other health issues, along with emphasizing nutrition and exercise.

So far the weight loss has been slower than the first time around, but I'm not giving up!
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 21:49

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

First time, only time. I'm not hungry. I have plenty of energy. I can have (LC) chocolate on occasion. And I've lost 37 pounds and who knows how many inches so far. What's not to like?
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 02:24

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
how many other people have to try it more than once before they succeed and make it a lifestyle...

I think that that's the secret ~ it's a lifestyle, rather than a diet.

I originally got to goal in March 2002 (you can see the pic of me then in my gallery). However, I got complacent, events got in the way and over the next year I ended up putting the weight back on and more

I don't think I had the lifestyle mindset then, but I know that now I do, so that when I'm back at goal, I'll be staying there
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:20

Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i guess i'm still in my first attempt at lc lifestyle! i have been on atkins since last april....and just this week have decided to focus myself on the pure foods and strict counting! i think this site has been so helpful in reminding me of how important it is to stick with this! i got sort of complacent with just 5 lbs to go, and the next thing i knew, it was 8 lbs to go! so here i am again....back on induction to get myself re-focused. no nuts, or lc treats for me! i think they are great and are wonderful for special occasions, but i do think they have kept me from reaching my goal! so here goes! i think i will always be a low-carber---i don't think i can let myself go back or i think as everyone else has stated, i would gain it all and more! and since i got rid of all my bigger clothes, i couldn't afford to!
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:47

Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

I failed on so many other diets, I gave up trying. Atkins was my last hope. I swore it it didn't work I would never try again and plan on an early death.

It worked, thank goodness!
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 18:50

Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

This is my first time. Back in the 80's I lost 40lbs the lowfat way. I was starving all the time and not pleasant to be around!! When I got married and had a baby I gained it all back and then some.
So far on LC I've lost 50lbs and I think I'll be LCing for the rest of my life. I'm sure there will be times when I have a treat here and there but for the most part I'll stick with what my body obviously prefers.
Who am I to argue with a good thing!!
  #90   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 17:15

Plan: Atkins - Low-Cal
Stats: 145/128/120 Male 67 inches
BF:10%/5%/2%
Progress: 68%

3rd times a charm... for sure