Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 11:33
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I have found that the night/early morning before I have a major weight loss (I call major weight loss anything above a half pound), I am awakened by a leg cramp (usually my left leg but can be either or both). I don't have them usually. It's not like my potassium is low or any of the other suggested problems. It isn't. I take supplements of various vitamins and minerals, use salt and am well hydrated. But my body clues me into losses right before they show up on the scale by leg cramps and a major loss of water.

Here is my theory:

1. Fat cells are depleted and fill with water temporarily.
2. A mechanism triggers the release of the water from the fat cells temporarily flushing out electrolytes with it thus triggering the temporary leg cramp.

My body soon adjusts after a loss, I have no leg cramps, and I'm fine. But during that time of losing, boy howdy! I have to get out of bed and work that rascal out. My toes get all wonky in what I call my "live long and prosper" toes like Mr. Spock's hand gesture on Star Trek. Ow. Ow. Ow.

Could be you are losing systemic fluids and flushing out electrolytes. If you're taking supplements, then maybe you react like I do with a big downward flush.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Thu, Oct-23-14 at 11:54.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 17:57

Plan: Primal/Paleo Atkins
Stats: 197.5/126/132 Female 63
BF:19.4%
Progress: 109%

Hi everyone! I'm just dropping by to say hello and to say thank you for the birthday wishes I rec'd from you today on FB. You good wishes are much appreciated! Life has presented an assortment of challenges lately, some of them health related, but I am working through them a chunk at a time. I'm still eating well and have slowly added more carbs. I am still fitting into my jeans, so weight-wise, all is well.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 18:22

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Here is my theory:

2. A mechanism triggers the release of the water from the fat cells temporarily flushing out electrolytes with it thus triggering the temporary leg cramps

Could be you are losing systemic fluids and flushing out electrolytes. If you're taking supplements, then maybe you react like I do with a big downward flush.

Thanks! good theory. I am not taking supplements at present. I prefer not to, but I will get a complete checkup with blood work within the next couple of months. I have had leg cramps at night for several years, for what seems like several different reasons. Just loved to hear it might mean something good.

I do notice that there is a lot of peeing going on when I am loosing. Today I have had to go every half hour or so. I do hope that means a good whoosh.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 19:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Don't wait too long to start taking potassium, magnesium and salt like I did. I know Adkins said to take them from the beginning and I didn't. So when I started getting dizzy and was seeing spots for three days that's when I knew I needed to start right away and it all cleared up.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 04:34
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

Janj!!!!! Good to see you!!!! Hope you had a great birthday! You're our autumn baby. So what's going on?!? Are you okay? Glad you stopped by. Sit and stay and while.

Down another pound today but you all knew that because you heard that loud and raucous "Whoopee!" this morning. I can go from pouting to dancing in 6 seconds....the time it takes for the scale to post my weight.

No leg cramp this morning because I drank my weight in water yesterday. Okay....maybe not that much. Maybe one of the cat's weight.

And it's Friday! I waited all week for Friday.

So have Fantastic Fall Friday!

Later 'gators.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 06:11
Registered Member

Plan: A72/LCHF
Stats: 248/187/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:39.6%/30.4%/19.9%
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
I take supplements of various vitamins and minerals, use salt and am well hydrated. But my body clues me into losses right before they show up on the scale by leg cramps and a major loss of water.

Here is my theory:

2. A mechanism triggers the release of the water from the fat cells temporarily flushing out electrolytes with it thus triggering the temporary leg cramp.

Blue - congrats on the loss!! Have you considered that you may need sodium or electrolytes? I take powerade zero and haven't got these cramps in awhile. Just my 2cents...

Up a .5 pound today. My experiment this week was to add one salad to a meal. Isn't it amazing how sensitive I am to carbs? The salad was one cup of romaine... Well I am learning...

Have a great day!
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 06:22
Registered Member

Plan: A72/LCHF
Stats: 248/187/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:39.6%/30.4%/19.9%
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Don't wait too long to start taking potassium, magnesium and salt like I did. I know Adkins said to take them from the beginning and I didn't. So when I started getting dizzy and was seeing spots for three days that's when I knew I needed to start right away and it all cleared up.

Meme - this happens to me when I am losing as well (dizzy/spots) so I take a pinch of salt or poweraide zero and it seems to help...
In fact instead of taking the coconut oil, I switched to either bacon fat or bacon in the AM when I start to get hungry around 10:30 or if I am doing IF I take the poweraide. I usually take coconut oil at night with/without cooking.

Thanks and have a great day.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 06:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

YEA!!Congrats Blue on the loss!

Julie, You are the first who has said that they have had the spots and the dizziness. I do eat bacon every morning. In fact if I eat my 0 carb sausage, I feel like I'm cheating on my bacon. LOLOL
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 07:06
Keto Lab Rat

Plan: Low carb...WB detox...IF
Stats: 240/201.8/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:The Lab Rats :-)
Progress: 42%

Good morning!!

Meme, the commercial feedlots probably use similar grasses but the mixed farms are pure pastures of native grasses that reseed themselves....of course the cows are in charge of the fertilizer!! I just want these companies to stop screwin' around with our food. Working in the school system the rise in ADD, Autism, and the like is unprecedented. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

Sherri I have taken some meds that play havoc with my appetite and food cravings but thankfully not in a long time. I think we both need Lab and her butt kicker! Dang I do so miss that girl.

Blue, garter snakes look for a warm place to hibernate this time of year. They're harmless. Most people know enough to seal up all the little cracks and crevices in the foundation to keep them out in the great outdoors. Baby doesn't seem to have a taste for them. Mice on the other hand are one of her favourites.

Leg cramps for me just means I'm low on salt. Never thought of it being an indicator that LCHF is working but that makes sense.

On to page two.....
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 07:14
Keto Lab Rat

Plan: Low carb...WB detox...IF
Stats: 240/201.8/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:The Lab Rats :-)
Progress: 42%

Janj I'm so glad you popped in. Please continue to do so and I hope the medical problems are minor and short lived. Good for you on continuing to be an inspiration. I keep telling myself, if Janj can stick to it so can I!

That's what that was!! Holy hell, I did indeed feel the concussion from your shout Blue!! Well done!

Off to the city to get some shopping done. Have a great and glorious Friday!!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 07:30

Plan: Keto
Stats: 211.9/194.4/145 Female 67 "
BF:Good question!
Progress: 26%

Hi-ho everyone!

It's Friday! Woot!

Not much to report on my end of things. I am pretty much maintaining at my newly acquired PHD weight gain! Never again...never again! You think I would learn! After 2 1/2 years of not only a stall but slowly creeping weight return (in spite of being strict low carb high fat) I should have known that any weight gain from my experiment with PHD would not come off either! So now I have to live with the excess I gained during my failed experiment. Why oh why did I try this? Oh well. Live and learn.

I did finally get an appointment with the new doctor I was telling you about. It's for Nov. 10th. We'll see how well (or not) that goes. lol!

I know it may sound as though I'm down about this, but I'm not really. I still feel so much better just going back to ketogenic that I am not really bothered by the weight gain. Okay maybe a little...lol! I wish my body responded differently than it does, but it is what it is. I keep hoping for a woosh one day and I know one I will have one. Until then I will keto on! lol

Have a great day y'all!
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 07:34
It's Only Food!

BF:

My electrolytes are good. I think they are temporarily flushed when I have that large systemic water dump right before a loss. At all other times I'm fine. It just lets me know a loss is comin'.

Yeah, I know garter snakes are harmless. It's the 102 of them in a house that creeps me out.

Y'know Kathy, I think if you find the right combination of macronutrients that you'll get that whoosh. I was eating on plan but suspended fasting days and there I held. It wasn't until I threw in a few fasting days (dinner to dinner) that the log jam was cleared and I started losing again. Who knows what I'll have to do as time goes by, but for now that seemed to have helped. We're all different so I'm not saying that would work for you. But I want to encourage you to keep looking. It's out there somewhere. And never beat yourself up over trying. That's what all good lab rats do.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Fri, Oct-24-14 at 07:40.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 07:52

That is how we got our name! lol

Actually, I did a dinner to dinner fast for the first time yesterday and although there was no weight loss, I feel GREAT today! Do you do that once a week, twice a week, every other day?? Just curious.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 08:04
It's Only Food!

BF:

I had been doing it MWF. That seemed to work for me but then I went on hiatus with the fasting. The result was diddling around for a week at the same weight. So I started back this week with the MWF. Whoosh!
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-14, 08:07

That's sort of what I was thinking I would try. Thanks!
Closed Thread