Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-14, 01:39

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Did you purchase caffeine infused underwear to lose weight? Refunds in process

http://news.yahoo.com/fda-retailers...-222104085.html

If you purchased caffeine-infused underwear because of promises it will make you thinner, federal regulators say you were hoodwinked — but at least you can get your money back.

The Federal Trade Commission announced Monday that two companies — Norm Thompson Outfitters of Oregon and Wacoal America Inc. of New Jersey — have agreed to refund $1.5 million to consumers who purchased "shapewear" that supposedly can reduce cellulite and fat because it is infused with caffeine, vitamin E and other things.

"Caffeine-infused shapewear is the latest 'weight-loss brew' concocted by marketers," Jessica Rich, director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection, said in a statement. "If someone says you can lose weight by wearing the clothes they are selling, steer clear."

Neither company could be reached for comment.

Norm Thompson, based in Hillsboro, Oregon, sold women's bike shorts, tights and leggings made of a fabric called Lytess for $49 to $79, according to the FTC's complaint. The company claimed a woman could take 2 inches off the hips and an inch off the thighs in less than a month "without effort."

"No diets or pills. Lose inches just by wearing these cellulite-slimming Lytess leggings," the company said in an online catalog, according to the FTC. "The unique fabric is infused with caffeine to metabolize fat."

The claims are not backed up by scientific tests, the FTC said. The company also falsely claimed that the garments were backed by television personality Dr. Oz.

The FTC says Wacoal, based in Lyndhurst, New Jersey, made similar claims about its iPants underwear for women, which sold for $44 to $85.

In negotiated settlements, Norm Thompson agreed to pay $230,000 and Wacoal America $1.3 million, which the FTC says it will use to provide refunds for consumers. The companies also will be prohibited from claiming that their caffeinated garments cause weight or fat loss, or a reduction of body size.

The Federal Trade Commission is accepting public comment on the proposed settlement until Oct. 29. After that, the commission will decide whether to make the proposed settlements permanent.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-14, 01:56

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

April fools in October, right?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-14, 06:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - Hybrid Induction
Stats: 230/205/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Could you imagine if there were no regulatory agencies like the FTC established?

The saying "A fool and his money are easily separated" has never been more true in today's world.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-14, 06:56

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Wait. I can no longer buy caffeine-infused undies?? That's what I call unconscionable government interference in my private life!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-14, 09:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Maybe they'll jazz up your sex life?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-14, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: General
Stats: 272/257/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Maybe they'll jazz up your sex life?

But once you take them off, you'd become drowsy & uninterested in proceeding.

BTW, your avatar creeps me out.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-14, 10:53

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Norm Thompson used to be a really good store. Too bad they're getting into woo. When I used to shop there they had an unlimited life-time guarantee on many products. When my old shoes suddenly fell apart, they gave me the total old price off a new pair. So I think I paid about $10 for an excellent pair of shoes.

But really, who would believe that coffee in the fabric would help you lose weight? Is there any limit to gullibility?