Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 12:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default The GERD diet

GERD diet

Jimmy Moore and Dr. Eades are recommending it, so you can bet it is low carb.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 13:06

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Eliminating tree fruits fixed my Acid reflux problems.Turns out I'm allergic to the whole family, apples, peaches, pears, cherries....

Of course being LC, I don't eat that anyway
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 14:23

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

When I gave up wheat and gluten my asthma, GERD, swollen vocal chords, hypoglycemia, belly pain, GI problems (you don't wanna know but so bad I had a colonoscopy at 48), dry eyes, and shortness of breath all went away. Doctors at the time said the Nexium must have started working, even though I'd been on it for two years. All the tests were negative: blood, skin test, gene (I'm DQ1), even stool.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 22:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliean
Doctors at the time said the Nexium must have started working, even though I'd been on it for two years. All the tests were negative: blood, skin test, gene (I'm DQ1), even stool.

This is a prime example of why it will take at least two generations of medical training to correct nutritional guidelines. Let's just hope people are smart enough to stop listening to their doctors about nutrition.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-14, 05:37

BF:
Progress:

What amazed me at the time is that my amazing allergist (front line for diet related auto immune diseases) said i couldnt have celiacs because i was dq1 genes. I brought him a med line article of the research of a doctor in italy who found 20% of his celiac parients had dq1. To his credit he seemed to listen.

Even yesterday a doctor lamented to me that patients come in all the time with what they read that wasnt credible or supported only what they believe. I believe this is the new paradim, patients most invested in a disease reading enough to help educate their doctors, especially bringing in research on treatments of diet.

Last edited by Lesliean : Sun, Sep-21-14 at 07:02.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-14, 06:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliean
Even yesterday a doctor lamented to me that patients come in all the time with what they read that wasnt credible or supported only what they believe. I believe this is the new paradim, patients most invested in a disease reading enough to help educate their doctors, especially bringing in research on treatments of diet.

My irony meter just went to 10.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-14, 09:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! Yeah, mine too.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-14, 08:36

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Checks my meter...oh see there? it point at the pot AND the kettle...
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-14, 06:55

BF:
Progress:

In the past 10 years i've brought in to doctors at least a dozen medical peer reviewed and recently conducted studies. If a doctor is open to working with me and taking in new information then I'm likely to work with them too. If not, I am out of there.

There are doctors who complain about patients bringing in information and these seem to be the same doctors that want to give me anti depressants for loss of energy (cured by a gluten free diet), tell me I'm just getting older (cured by better testing and treatment of hypothyroidism), or just give me endoscopes and medicines (no longer needed after giving up grains).

Doctors should not:
Tell me it's in my head
Tell me there is no underlying cause
Tell me that I am just getting older
Tell me that I do not know best what is happening to my body
Tell me they don't want to read any study abstracts I bring in
Tell me they don't care about alternative diet treatments that cost nothing to try

We patients have the greatest interest in curing our ailments. We read on national websites and message boards what others have found in current research and tried on their own. We are willing to put in hours and hours researching treatments when doctors may be too busy to keep up with research. We know our bodies and this can not be underestimated.

The new paradigm is to work with patients as a triage of doctor, patient, and shared information.
Leslie