Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 11:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

People are uncomfortable with information that means they should probably change the way they're living. So they deny it. Despite whatever evidence to the contrary, they'll simply reject the information, because they don't want it to be true.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: LC/Atkins/Paleo blend
Stats: 218/207/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

That's exactly what I did for years regarding LC. In fact, I deliberately blocked out of my mind that the two times I had lost the most weight I had been LC by most standards (probably not 20g but likely under 40g per day) for a huge chunk of the weight loss and even to some degree post weight loss. In fact, my weight loss stopped as I began to add more carbs in and return to 'normal' eating. The weight held for a while but it would creep up eventually. There was just no way I was going to let anything take away my precious breads and sugars. Sure, initially I could behave well enough with them but it never lasts. Never.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 11:54

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

10 years ago when I turned 50 I decided to embrace fat and avoid any food that felt like deprivation to me (fat-free anything, skim milk; actually I never really liked milk, even as a kid). By instead eating only things I really really enjoy - fattier cuts of meat, chicken and poultry, (homemade) mayo and creamy salad dressing - it felt truly decadent to me after 35 years of deprivation deprivation deprivation with the occasional yo-yo binge cycles. Focusing on what you CAN eat (mostly things forbidden on those deprivation diets) and could live on forever is the best way for a diet to become a WOE.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 13:50

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Jey, my question did not go 'poof!' It was the rest of my post. Here is the question again:

Jey, what are those "3 main pathways"? I haven't found them yet. And what do you mean by "these are not necessarily blocked"? Thanks.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 03:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You're right, realize now why I was confused yesterday. (it is so easy for me to do under normal circumstances and have major project going in house, total chaos including computer/iPad access)
There were two active Wheat Belly threads on two forums.
I had seen your questions, then later read that new WB story and posted it on the wrong thread. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...43&page=2&pp=15 I was only referring to the three components of wheat as in post #73.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-24-15 at 03:34.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 05:45

BF:

Thanks Jey. I did find your answer to my question this morning. I decided to read this thread from the beginning. I am a convert!

I have gone through my pantry and freezer. I tossed out the pantry items containing wheat but am not ready to toss out all the freezer contents entirely. Instead, I will reserve these for a once-a-week meal to see what my reaction is. I am referring to the frozen sausages and Jalapeno Shooters (M&M Meat Shops) that contain wheat at the end of the list of ingredients.

Now that I have read Wheat Belly, I will take a magnifying glass with me to the grocery store so I can read the list of ingredients as well as the nutrition labels. Small price to pay.

Thanks everyone for this thread. Too bad Wheat Belly is not given it's own sub forum as it is hard to find.
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 06:10

BF:

Jey, I have been impressed with the books by Westman, Volek and Phinney as they document every step/recommendation with clinical trials. I don't get the same impression from Wheat Belly. I get the sense that he is more like the original PP describing 'the thousands of patients" who improved under their care but no actual substantiation based on those "thousands." Instead it is an extrapolation from other research and not research on the elimination of wheat from the diet. Did I miss it?
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 06:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Jey, I have been impressed with the books by Westman, Volek and Phinney as they document every step/recommendation with clinical trials. I don't get the same impression from Wheat Belly. I get the sense that he is more like the original PP describing 'the thousands of patients" who improved under their care but no actual substantiation based on those "thousands." Instead it is an extrapolation from other research and not research on the elimination of wheat from the diet. Did I miss it?

While he extensively documents his research in previously published papers, and some of it impressed me a lot, I don't think there ARE many studies about "elimination of wheat from the diet" that don't involve celiacs, who have usually suffered from malnutrition by the time they are diagnosed, and thus complicate any health conclusions.

Ironically, it was studies that led Atkins to his low carb approach, while Dr. Davis had some patients talk about how wheat upset their digestion, and he suggested dropping that element. The dramatic difference in ALL of their illnesses led him to, essentially, "creating it as a treatment."
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 08:19

BF:

thanks Werebear.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 11:06

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Benay - there are several physicians who have focused their practices on achieving health through diet and nutrition and who echo Davis's position on wheat and other grains. Dr. David Perlmutter, Dr. Colin Champ, and Dr. Jason Fung are three of the primary voices. In addition, there is increasingly more research and trials that confirm the dangers of wheat and other grains that substantiates Davis's books, research and patient experiences. Each one has a website that is very informative. I'm reading a book by Champ at the moment, and it's rich in information. Here are the sites. Have fun:

http://www.drperlmutter.com/
http://www.cavemandoctor.com/
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default Dr Bernstein for people who aren't' diabetic

I am seeing a the circle with obesity, pre diabetes, hypertension and diet.

For anyone who is seriously overweight (by the 'obesity classification) nothing is more sobering than to see Morbid Obesity class 2 or 3 on your chart! You dont FEEL that gross and unhealthy..but 'dem are the facts! (my NP mentioned in passing my BG as going up over the years..I had not thought abut it..but it stuck in my head)

By curiosity alone I got Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes book, and got a BGM…and was shocked to see how high my daily BG is…over 100 all of the time.

OK..being 80+ overweight is a big part..so that means I HAVE to do more to fight that insulin problem, AND the metabolic issues I have after decades of low fat dieting.

I really recommend anyone trying to lose more than 25-30 pounds do blood testing at home..my 1x or 2x annual blood test says I am NOT diabetic..oh yeah? that day when I was FBG of 99 was not the truth if I am 105-120 the rest of the time. And Bernstein advises 83 as normal..so that Is a motivator.

If you were just LCHF dieting, you might not realize a few simple changes can help drop that by 10-20 points, and reduce BP, lose weight faster, be healthier in general. with 66M estimated pre diabetic, and so many obese..connecting the dots is critical.
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 03:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Benay, I was about to mention Dr Perlmutter too, GRB beat me to it. His books are well referenced and many studies are on the website.

A Low Carb Diabetes educator has started a new website/blog and recently had a post about Pre-Diabetes, the Lie that is Killing Us.
Let's call it what it is...Stage 1 Diabetes. Really made me think about the difference the name makes, the different attitude your doctor would have about advice.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-is-killing-us/
Wonderful new website with many links to low carb information, not just diabetes.
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 04:45

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A Low Carb Diabetes educator has started a new website/blog and recently had a post about Pre-Diabetes, the Lie that is Killing Us.
Let's call it what it is...Stage 1 Diabetes. Really made me think about the difference the name makes, the different attitude your doctor would have about advice.

That's what Dr Bernstein says, that there is no such thing as pre-diabetes. Either your blood sugar remains normal or it doesn't. I agree that these labels lull people into believing that things aren't as bad as they really are, making them less likely to take action.

Jean
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 05:55

BF:

Thank you everyone for your replies to my question. This is such a supportive, informative group. I shall follow the links. Re-losing those pesky 20 pounds just is not happening so I need to find something that will work that I can stick with. I am my own worst enemy. Thanks a lot.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 06:22

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Benay, I was about to mention Dr Perlmutter too, GRB beat me to it. His books are well referenced and many studies are on the website.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-is-killing-us/
Wonderful new website with many links to low carb information, not just diabetes.

I follow this thread and the attached links, even though I only comment from time to time. I was diagnosed with full-blown diabetes in 2008 when I was hospitalized for surgery. Previous to that, I had been to a health fair where they testing my fasting blood glucose at 120. Having no idea what that meant, I did nothing about it. When I saw my PCP after the surgery I asked him why my diabetes would appear all of a sudden and he replied "You were getting up there." Well, why didn't he mention that to me at the time? I didn't chastise him for it because I was more concerned about recovering from surgery. Since no one else was making a big deal about the diabetes, I didn't either, until I started reading and learning.