Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-14, 19:41

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 162.6/159.2/120 Female 61"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks you both so much for your advice. I thought I was doing low carb and wheat free - gluten free. Hmmm! I think adding more fat to my meals is a good idea..I don't think I have been getting enough. I have been drinking plenty of water..but have been going easy on salt. I did loose another .4 as of this morning..so I am happy. Thanks again .. 3dogs
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-14, 12:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/230/205 Male 5ft8inches
BF:
Progress:

i love this forum
yall keep at it. im buying the book soon
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 14:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A good newspaper story about the benefits of wheat-free diet, and listing for a wellness talk by Dr Davis in Rancho Mirage CA on Jan 14.
http://www.desertsun.com/story/life...-book/21355285/
A tad pricey that talk...can listen to a good one here on YouTube for free: http://youtu.be/UbBURnqYVzw

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-07-15 at 14:50.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 05:08

I read Dr Davis's FACEbook page everyday, it has a huge number of members but it is managed, and his timeline shows amazing transformations all the time. Just read back through a month or two of posts to see many examples.
But today's story impressed so much decided to post it here...T2 diabetic for 26 years, off all insulin and meds, and no pain from spinal stenosis.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWh...846320688747823

Quote:
Dear Dr. Davis,
I would like to share my story with you. Where do I begin? I have been a type 2 diabetic for 26 years. As a result of listening to all the wrong advice and to the diabetic nutritionist, my sugars ran higher and higher. Also, as a result, I now have severe peripheral neuropathy. Some years back, I was also in severe pain with spinal stenosis. Have had nerve blocks, epidural injections, etc., etc. When I read your book several years ago, I started a whole new way of life. I got off wheat, starches, sugars, grains and am now on a LCHF diet. I have lost 40 lbs., am off all my meds (insulin, statins, etc.) and my blood sugar is under control. BUT this is what excites me....I no longer have any pain whatsoever from my spinal stenosis. The doctors cannot believe I am having no pain. I had a CRP test and I have no inflammation in my body. So not only is this way of eating healthy, it also takes away the pain from degenerative diseases for which so many people are on horrible drugs. You are my hero!
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 05:32
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile

curry sauces like Nancy said so have grain ingredients as well as sugar. I would think the curry the spice would be fine. I never owned or read Davis's book and it surprises me since I am allergic to wheat it would have gotten my attention. Just ordered it.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-15, 13:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I read Dr Davis's FACEbook page everyday, it has a huge number of members but it is managed, and his timeline shows amazing transformations all the time. Just read back through a month or two of posts to see many examples.
But today's story impressed so much decided to post it here...T2 diabetic for 26 years, off all insulin and meds, and no pain from spinal stenosis.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWh...846320688747823

That is such an awesome story. It puts a floodlight on the role of inflammation in degenerative disease of all kinds, doesn't it?
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-15, 07:04

Wheat Belly special will be available in many more locations during this fund-raising period. My local PBS station finally has it..check yours, may be others in addition to this list.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...ast-across-u-s/
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-15, 05:56
Everyday Sane Psycho

wow he skipped all of New England (Vt, NH, ME, MA etc).
I really enjoyed reading the book and I am letting friends read it too. I like his humor and positive spirit The book explained the healing your body goes through and has to do before blood sugar or weight loss. Talks about thyroid and gut health. Very thankful for that information
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-15, 18:20
Everyday Sane Psycho

I have to share this: I loaned my friend my Dr.Davis book and she has been reading it slowly she is shocked by what she is reading and frankly it depressed her (like many of us who felt our government lied to us) I loved what she said to me today "I want to believe the book isn't true, that fat doesn't make you fat, and that carbs make you eventually gain. But you stand before me much smaller than Christmas time and seeing your hair indeed thicken and the texture of your skin so beautiful. I have to believe its true and this sickens me" I left myself open for any questions she might have.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-15, 19:40

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

It sickens me, too. I followed the pyramid and baked every day thinking I was doing the best for myself and my family. Thanks for the diabetes, dear government.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-15, 06:32

Kassie, he covered much of NE in the first round of stations who bought it last December. Remember tHat I alerted friends in CT and MA...know Hartford's PBS had it and think also Boston's WGBH.
And what a wonderful compliment! With all your hard work to reduce blood sugars the compliments will continue to roll in

Please check your local PBS stations own website for listings. During fundraisers PBS stations may add shows at viewer request, or repeat viewer favorites at the end of the festival, plus our station has more than one channel, sometimes the specials show up on the EX, MX, or one of the extra channels, so a TV Guide may not pick up all the showings. Edit: new post on his website reads: ,"The Wheat Belly Total Health Public TV Special will be aired over 300 times nationwide between March 1 and March 14, 2015."

I finally saw part of it yesterday and a friend taped it all for me while I was away. He kept his message simple, this show seems a good introduction for anyone who thinks we all NEED to eat grains.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Mar-02-15 at 05:59.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-15, 06:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/146/146 Male 164cm
BF:34%/27%/22%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I have read that is US and Canadian labeling law, but depending where the spices were packaged if imported, possibly not. Though the old Sun Brand Madras Curry Powder popular in the UK, and maybe NZ too?, claims to be free of "adulteration". That is what I use and nothing's happened to me yet, and it does 'clump up', so maybe no flour.

Generally curry powder is ground with legumes and not wheat. Turmeric, Coriander seeds, Fenugreek, Red Chillies, Asafoetida, Yellow gram (Toor Dal) and Green gram (Moong dal) are dried and ground to make curry powder.

Forgot to add. Some families add bit of raw rice too to make curry powder.

Last edited by subra66 : Sat, Mar-21-15 at 07:25.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 09:02

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

This past week on Canadian PBS (KCTS9) was a special on Wheat Belly. I was impressed with his (Dr. Davis) approach so I called the station (number on screen asking for donations) and both times was told the number was invalid. So then I went on PBS.org to order the books (cookbook, CD and DVDs) but could not find them. So, I emailed PBS and received a reply saying these books were not available. SOOOOO, I went to old reliable Amazon and ordered Wheat Belly. Now it seems, I should have ordered the sequel too.

Just as soon as I finished typing this, I will order the sequel. Thanks for all the reviews.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-15, 04:39

He currently has two books (both are worth having) and two cookbooks. My library has many copies of all four, they bought some and then had to order more the hold lists were so long for years. Unlike typical diet books, they didn't "flame out" after the first months, word of mouth keeps them going. His blog website and Facebook page are great sources of both information and inspiration.
Dr Perlmutter's sequel to Grain Brain is coming out this month, BrainMaker, and he also had a PBS special. Our library has both books also. Only the videos are exclusive to PBS, and each station can create different packages. The original Wheat Belly was a real eye-opener for me, so good choice.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-15, 08:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Wheatbelly was such a gamechanger! I am so pleased it is still going strong.

I followed his cardiac blog for a while and he was the inspiration behind me going gluten free (four years and counting.) The books are a great way for me to share the enthusiasm.