Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-14, 07:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmum1977
Just to point out that wheat/gluten sensitivity doesn't usually have a 'reaction' like say, a peanut allergy does. Unless it's a true allergy, one might not, say, have an anaphylactic reaction or may not even experience gastro distress or symptoms after eating it. This is what makes it hard to believe that it can be so problematic: the often lack of an immediate response.

Myself, I've had a host of issues pertaining to my gluten sensitivity including, bloating, skin conditions (acne, dandruff, rosacea), joint pain, heart palpitations, sinus issues, debilitating fatigue, light headedness, not to mention the intermittent gastric issues, that seem to flare out of nowhere.

Be aware that the effects of gluten are cumulative, so the more you eat (and for longer), the worse you may feel and the more severe obscure symptoms you may have. And bc the symptoms may not be exactly what one would expect from a dietary allergy, you may not connect the dots. The good news is the benefits are cumulative as well: the longer you stay off it, the better you feel, and the symptoms will ease and/or disappear. Such is the case for me - most of the symptoms above are now gone after two years off it.

This makes complete sense to me. Never thought I had a gluten problem until I started LC and went gluten free. After a few months I splurged with a beer - big mistake and I was so sick. Never again. ON Easter Sunday I went to mass and took communion without thinking. Another big mistake as I spent all of Easter so sick I wanted to die. Apparently, for me anyway, when I was consuming a large amount of gluten I didn't feel any effects (although I'm sure they were there). Now that I've been off of it for awhile the effects are monstrous. Funny how that works.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 08:30

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 275/275/200 Male 187 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Never say never...

Try this:

You'll need:

- 8 eggs
- 1 lb quark
- 3 cups mix of ground almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut...
- 2 tbsp psyllium husks
- 1 satchet (abour half an ounze) baking powder
- pinch of salt

Do this:

Heat the oven to 380 degrees F. Whisk the eggs slightly with a fork, mix in quark. Mix the baking powder into the ground almonds and toss everything in the egg-quark mixture. Pour the porridge-like mixture in two buttered bread molds and bake some 30 minutes until nicely browned on top. Let cool a while and tip out of the molds to cool finally on a wire rack.

Makes very good toast and stays fresh a couple of days. For one loaf just halve the ingredients above.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 18:57

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyk26
This makes complete sense to me. Never thought I had a gluten problem until I started LC and went gluten free. After a few months I splurged with a beer - big mistake and I was so sick. Never again. ON Easter Sunday I went to mass and took communion without thinking. Another big mistake as I spent all of Easter so sick I wanted to die. Apparently, for me anyway, when I was consuming a large amount of gluten I didn't feel any effects (although I'm sure they were there). Now that I've been off of it for awhile the effects are monstrous. Funny how that works.

Same for me. When I did eat gluten, the symptoms kinda ran together and they were almost normal to me. After they cleared up I knew they weren't. After so long off it, if I accidentally ingest gluten, I do get an immediate reaction - gastro and bathroom issues, heart palpitations, immediate aches and pains and flushed hot face. So I avoid it at all costs.