Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-14, 20:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%
Default Do gut bacteria rule our minds? In an ecosystem within us, microbes evolved to sway f

Click to read the whole article.

Quote:
It sounds like science fiction, but it seems that bacteria within us -- which outnumber our own cells about 100-fold -- may very well be affecting both our cravings and moods to get us to eat what they want, and often are driving us toward obesity.

In an article published this week in the journal BioEssays, researchers from UC San Francisco, Arizona State University and University of New Mexico concluded from a review of the recent scientific literature that microbes influence human eating behavior and dietary choices to favor consumption of the particular nutrients they grow best on, rather than simply passively living off whatever nutrients we choose to send their way.

Just the other day there was an article on scientist discovering that a parasitic plant infused RNA to change the host's characteristics to help the parasite. Wouldn't it be interesting if our gut bacteria change our appetites to survive? From a natural selection stand point it makes perfect sense.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 06:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

As long as they don't make me watch reality shows.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 08:18

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

toxoplasmosis has been shown to make rats take bigger risks and venture out into a known cats territory more often.
This get the rat killed and eaten completing the incubation cycle from cat to rat to cat.

So bacteria definitely change our behavior!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 08:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Or make me climb up a tree then pop out of my head.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 09:41

Plan: HFLC/NK
Stats: 200/130/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

Good guffaw .
Sounds like they are already having their own reality show, inside of us!

Thanks for posting inflammabl -really interesting to see the emerging info coming out on our gut.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 11:25

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

!!!
Thankfully, my bacteria don't have that urge either! That would provoke all-out war!

From the article:
Quote:
In fact, the evolution of tumors and of bacterial communities are linked, points out Aktipis, who said some of the bacteria that normally live within us cause stomach cancer and perhaps other cancers.
"Targeting the microbiome could open up possibilities for preventing a variety of disease from obesity and diabetes to cancers of the gastro-intestinal tract. We are only beginning to scratch the surface of the importance of the microbiome for human health," she said.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. Obesity and cancer prevention would be a HUGE advancement.

I really prefer progressive research, instead of re-researching all the nonsense that has been proven wrong or all the things we already know. Now to transform this knowledge into treatment...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 11:38

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
It sounds like science fiction

No it doesn't. There's several diseases which include typical behaviors as some of the symptoms. Just think of wheat or drugs for that matter and their effects on our mood. It's not much of a stretch to think bacteria and other microorganisms could drive the host's behavior to their advantage. This is the most extraordinary example of the phenomenon that I know of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophioc...ps_unilateralis

Unlike the fungus-ant relationship, our behavior would more likely be altered through hormones since that's how our behaviors are regulated. Sex hormones (find a mate or not), hunger hormones (eat or not), stress hormones (fight or flight), etc. The article talks about the vagus nerve so I guess it's possible some of this interference is done through that.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 11:40

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdamess
Obesity and cancer prevention would be a HUGE advancement.
Unfortunately they will spend most of the money trying to develop a pill to solve the problem. Hopefully the diet studies will get adequate funding to progress too. It always amazes me how people think nothing of ingesting something extra (pill or potion) but balk at the idea of removing something (like wheat) to solve their ills.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 12:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Unfortunately they will spend most of the money trying to develop a pill to solve the problem. Hopefully the diet studies will get adequate funding to progress too. It always amazes me how people think nothing of ingesting something extra (pill or potion) but balk at the idea of removing something (like wheat) to solve their ills.

Exactly. Most think nothing of putting who knows what IN their body, but ask them to avoid putting something known to cause issues, and we are merely foil-hat fanatics. Can't live without bread?! More like won't. And then they exhibit addiction behaviors and get uber defensive at the suggestion. Many people don't want to recognize science if it suggests they change their eating habits or behaviors. Easier to just take a magic pill so they don't have to make an effort. Not everything works that way. There is no magic. There is only biological response to a change. And with pills, the side-effects can often be negative. (I won't start on anti-depressants and my experience with them.)

But that's humanity for you. Have we always been so lazy? Or is it an effect of the point/click-instant-gratification syndrome? Or the prowess of Big Pharm and their marketing depts?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 13:10

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdamess
<...snip...> Many people don't want to recognize science if it suggests they change their eating habits or behaviors. Easier to just take a magic pill so they don't have to make an effort.<...>

Those are wise words, jessdamess.

I had a neighbor who walked her dog every day but needed a cane to walk.

I gave her the arthritis/bursitis diet (it's low-carb and low arachadonic acid) and within a couple of weeks, she was walking without the cane.

She continued to walk without the cane for months, and then I noticed she started using it again.

I asked her if the diet quit working for her, and she responded that she quit the diet because she just couldn't give up her pasta and couldn't give up her fruit and couldn't give up her _______ (fill in the blank).

Notice it was "her" pasta, "her" fruit etc.

I've noticed that people take possession of the things they don't want to give up.

My dad had Type 2 diabetes. Instead of controlling it with his diet, he took pills. He could still make insulin, but was resistant, so the pills encouraged his body to make even more insulin. Insulin is very inflammatory, and almost as bad as the sugar it is meant to control. The insulin burned out the blood vessels in his heart and kidneys and he went into an early grave.

If you can do it with diet, it's much better than taking the un-magic pills. Of course you will have to give up "your" ________.

Back on topic.

I've often mused that we humans could be just a support system for the bacteria that inhabit us. We can't live without gut bacteria to help us digest our food. And in every cell we have mitochondria.

These mitochondria are not us, they don't share our DNA and are separate living organelles living in every cell in our body (close relative to a bacterium). If we didn't have these mitochondria in our cells, we would die, as they use the food we eat to create ATP, the fuel we run on. So since the human cannot live without the mitochondria and various bacteria strains, do they live in us, or are we simply a host for them?

I guess it depends on your viewpoint. From the viewpoint of the mitochondria, you may just be their house.

Bob

Last edited by Bob-a-rama : Mon, Aug-18-14 at 13:16.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 13:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Those are wise words, jessdamess.

I had a neighbor who walked her dog every day but needed a cane to walk.

I gave her the arthritis/bursitis diet (it's low-carb and low arachadonic acid) and within a couple of weeks, she was walking without the cane.

She continued to walk without the cane for months, and then I noticed she started using it again.

I asked her if the diet quit working for her, and she responded that she quit the diet because she just couldn't give up her pasta and couldn't give up her fruit and couldn't give up her _______ (fill in the blank).

Notice it was "her" pasta, "her" fruit etc.

I've noticed that people take possession of the things they don't want to give up....

Exactly, and sadly, true. For my diabetic mother she has to have "her" tomato soup and cheetos. Yes, cheetos in tomato soup...shuddering. And her baked Lays. And her raisin bread...slippery slope... The list keeps getting longer.

Quote:
So since the human cannot live without the mitochondria and various bacteria strains, do they live in us, or are we simply a host for them?

I guess it depends on your viewpoint. From the viewpoint of the mitochondria, you may just be their house.

Bob

Very interesting thought! And good point. It's symbiotic though, isn't it? Or isn't it...hmmmm. I always found mitochondria fascinating. Oops...I think you just sent me down another rabbithole. I have enough up in the air as it is! My reading list is getting unwieldy.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 14:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

We are hard-wired to NOT give up those things that give us pleasure. It's just that in a natural environment, things that give us pleasure and things that are good for us are the same things.

We are so "clever" we've messed up that equation.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 15:02

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

You are so right WereBear.

I knew a guy who had quadruple bypass surgery. The first thing he did when he got out of the hospital is buy a pack of cigarettes.

And some humans have gone the other way and decided that denying themselves all pleasure is their goal in life.

Like the religions that say, "Dancing is evil" and so on. I don't want to get into a religious discussion here, we all have a right to believe what we think is the truth, but for me, a religion, a cult, a club, or anything else that denies innocent non-harmful pleasures is nothing I want to join.

Humans are strange animals. Our wonderful brains that have given us so much can also be our worst enemy at times.

Re: mitochondria

Jess, it might be symbiotic but then again. As you said hmmmmmm.

We who have sexual reproduction will (sadly) die, but the bacteria or organelle that reproduces by simple cell division (mitosis if I remember my biology) in theory never dies. After all, when the cell divides, which is the original? Neither or both? It can't be neither as one has to be the original and they are identical in every way so it must be both. If both then the cell lives forever even if one of the pair dies.

I read there are only 7 strains of mitochondria, passed down from mother to fetus. It seems like they have a pretty successful strategy using us for their hosts.

And for the plant kingdom, the chloroplasts do the same thing.

Makes me feel pretty insignificant.

Just pondering - thinking out loud.

Bob

Last edited by Bob-a-rama : Mon, Aug-18-14 at 15:15.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 17:28
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I had a friend, who once had an acquaintance, who had spent like 20 years of his life cataloging what he believed was a "distributed intelligence" in something we have a vaccine for -- and that being in the vaccine (so it actually is maintained indefinitely) is part of its plan -- he said at first he laughed, it was the wildest, stupidest idea he'd ever heard, but after the guy spent hours showing him everything from newspaper articles to obscure research articles to you name it, he was so blown away that he was speechless. He didn't know what to say because what CAN you say, the guy had a lifetime of basically 'stalking' this thing that was essentially stalking humans in its own way. What a trip.

Less spooky and more to your point, here's a paper online:

Quote:
Intelligence is a term which is difficult to define. Tentative working definitions of intelligence usually include perception, learning, memory and decision making. Intelligent processes are primarily studied in humans, other mammals and birds (Shettleworth, 2001). However, comparative studies using, for example, evolutionarily, distantly related cephalopods, which have a nervous system fundamentally different from that of vertebrates, have revealed highly interesting aspects of intelligent behavior such as spatial learning, navigational abilities, and predatory techniques (Alves et al., 2008). Investigations of other invertebrates such as the gastropod Aplysia california have led to fundamental insights into non-associative and associative learning, memory, and synaptic plasticity (Baxter and Byrne, 2012). A change of concept regarding animal intelligence was required with the advanced understanding of super organisms such as ant and bee colonies. Knowledge of these social insects led to the discovery of “distributed intelligence” or “collective intelligence,” in which many individuals with limited intelligence pool their resources to solve problems beyond the capabilities of individuals (Franks et al., 2002; Katsikopopulos and King, 2010). These social phenomena and decentralized, self-organized “swarm intelligence” in many other species including numerous invertebrates, unicellular eukaryotes and bacteria challenge definitions deduced from “human-like intelligence” (Nakagaki, 2001; Ben-Jacob et al., 2004; Jeanson et al., 2012; Reid et al., 2012; Shklarsh et al., 2012). Another challenging conceptual extension of the phenomenon intelligence concerns trans-generational cellular adaptations which exceed the lifespan of an individual. This has been proposed for microbes, which exhibit genetic and epigenetic adaptations to selective ecological pressures (Ben-Jacob, 2008; Veening et al., 2008). Thus, to avoid the fallacy of anthropocentric definitions of intelligence, more context-dependent views on cognitive-like abilities have been postulated. We obviously have to acknowledge that different species inhabit different sensory worlds, have evolved different kinds of intelligent processes and that these “species-specific intelligences” reflect different ecological niches. This new perspective led to research in “plant intelligence,” which has triggered ample discussions in the scientific community (Trewavas, 2003). A similar controversy can be expected from the topic of “microbial intelligence” which is currently gaining ground (Marijuan et al., 2010).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3907765/
Pathogen intelligence

#15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-14, 18:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I think my bacteria like surfing the internet.