Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 07:37

Plan: Atkins 2002ish/LCHF
Stats: 228/166/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Hi all - new to Low Carbing

Since this is my first post, let me introduce myself. I'm not new to dieting but I am to Low Carb dieting. I've been lurking here for about a month. I began Atkins diet (DANDR) on June 16, but stopped using sugars on June 2nd to get my feet wet.

I've always been overweight since a teen but never fat until around 2000 when I began having back trouble. After surgery I've only increased my weight. Then in March I was at my highest at 228. I decided something had to be done so I purchased the Atkins book. I should say at this point I purchased this not for any other reason than because my parents did the diet in the 90's with success so I figured if it can work for them, it can work for me. They are thinking of going on it again because they've gained their weight back.

Saying all this brings me to why I decided to post. I'm finally for the first time in 14 years below 200. I changed my current weight here from 228 to 194. I am so excited by this. I actually went from 228 - 200 because I didn't have a scale until 1 month into the diet.

Thank you all for your posts because that is how I got through the previous two weeks. I was in a stall. Dieting and doing all the things I was supposed to do and yet I wasn't losing. But because people have said to wait it out, it will happen I kept to it and lost 6 lbs this week.

I've never been a "sweet" eater, I am a meat & potatoes gal so sweet cravings haven't been a problem. I am amazed at no hunger pains. Well I should say "many hunger pains" as when my stomach tells me to eat and it's inbetween meals I have a tbsp of a fat be it butter or coconut oil and it works like a charm.

I know I have to stay with low carb now forever. I stopped taking my metformin 3 weeks ago and have consistently been in the '90s. I'm due for my blood work so when I get those #'s I'll post them.

I'm so happy that this diet is working and I know now this is what I have to do to be healthy.

Thank you for reading. Now back to lurking to learn more, cause there is so much good advice, I learn new stuff here every day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 08:37

Plan: Keto
Stats: 330/330/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcom! Grats on losing below the 200 mark *jealous* How long have you been on plan for?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 08:58
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Welcome, welcome~

Congrats on your progress--so phenomenal! I started formally on June 2 as well and have also been a meat/potatoes gal. Now I'm a meat/faux mashed potatoes gal!

So happy for you, and hope to see you around!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 09:14
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Welcome, meintc and huge congrats on your losses so far! WTG!

I love this place, people are so friendly and knowledgeable on LC WOE plans. They are here to help and support all of us!

Wishing you much success on your LC WOE journey!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 09:32

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Welcome! Good for you for keeping the faith and waiting out the stall. It seems you already know that even if you are not losing weight, eating this way results in good outcomes for your health. And way to go getting off the Metformin. Are you sure you want to go back to lurking? It sounds to me like you have some good insights to share with others.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 10:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaby
Welcom! Grats on losing below the 200 mark *jealous* How long have you been on plan for?

Well officially it was June 16th., but I stopped using sugar on June 9th. My only indicator as to how heavy I was was a dr. appt in March and that was at 228 lbs. Since I continued to eat regularly until June, I used that as my starting weight. I didn't buy a scale until being on Atkins for a month. That's when it read 202 lbs. Then I had to move it out of my bathroom because I know that I cannot weigh everyday and it was calling to me to step right up. I only weigh every Saturday morning. The next 2 Saturdays was killing me because I wasn't losing. Then this morning..Bam!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 10:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodo
Welcome, welcome~

Congrats on your progress--so phenomenal! I started formally on June 2 as well and have also been a meat/potatoes gal. Now I'm a meat/faux mashed potatoes gal!

So happy for you, and hope to see you around!

I haven't yet ventured too far out off plan. I'm a very structured person. I just realized while reading the forum that green beans were induction veggies. I couldn't believe it. I opened up the book and there it was!! I think when Dr. Atkins listed green beans as string beans I just never saw it. So the first thing I did was go to the store and bought me some beans!! I'm having them today with my pot roast that is currently in the crock pot and it smells so good.

Last edited by meintc : Sat, Jul-26-14 at 10:28.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 10:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Welcome, meintc and huge congrats on your losses so far! WTG!

I love this place, people are so friendly and knowledgeable on LC WOE plans. They are here to help and support all of us!

Wishing you much success on your LC WOE journey!!

Thank you. I want to succeed. I want to lose the weight and then maintain. I mentioned that I wasn't new to dieting...tis true, but the wrong kind of dieting. My form of dieting was...pretty much deprive myself of food. very low intake, not starve but eat very little. Lots of eggs was one of my diets. Then in the 90's it was only soup diet. All my endeavors were to basically be hungry all the time. Then because I got tired of being hungry I went back to my usual. Not this time. It's so refreshing to eat, and eat what I like, feel full afterward, and still lose. Thank you Dr. Atkins!

Last edited by meintc : Sat, Jul-26-14 at 10:29.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 10:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Welcome! Good for you for keeping the faith and waiting out the stall. It seems you already know that even if you are not losing weight, eating this way results in good outcomes for your health. And way to go getting off the Metformin. Are you sure you want to go back to lurking? It sounds to me like you have some good insights to share with others.

Thank you for the welcome. Well as far as insights, I'm really quite new to the diet so I don't feel I know that much yet. I've been using what others here have said pretty much. For instance, I would never have known to use pork rinds as a binder. That helped so much for when I make salmon patties or meat loaf.

I discovered Almond milk from this forum too. I remember from the days my parents did Atkins they only had soy milk and that tasted horrible to me. I stayed away from that part of the dairy counter, but after reading about Almond milk here, I tried it and it's great. Last week I made my homemade iced coffee and used Almond milk instead of my usual half & half and I'm back in coffee heaven.

I may post more, but in the meantime, reading what others have said is so helpful and actually quite time consuming. Just know I'm here for the long haul.

Oh and I can't wait for my next dr. visit. It'll be awesome!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 10:26
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

That's what I love about Atkins' you don't have to be hungry -- that's the worst thing ever especially if you're supposed to do this for a life time.

I am rarely hungry now... but I was always hungry as a morbidly obese carb addict...
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 230/189/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 59%

Holy Canolli Batman! 30 pounds in 6 weeks? Are you sure you are even eating??? I want in on this action...can you share your typical meal?? Congrats to you!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 12:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnxpzl
Holy Canolli Batman! 30 pounds in 6 weeks? Are you sure you are even eating??? I want in on this action...can you share your typical meal?? Congrats to you!

I know! I can't believe it either. I'm shocked as anyone!

Typical day is as follows:

Breakfast: 2 eggs (large) with a handful of green & Red chopped peppers for color and taste. Sometimes a handful of chopped onion. Fry in butter or bacon fat. Sometimes I add a slice of bacon or a handful of crumbled sausage.

While I'm eating the eggs I have tall glass of water with lemon juice. I don't like to drink just plain water. After that is done I have 2 cups of coffee with half & half and liquid sweetener (no carbs in that).

Lunch varies but I stay within 4-6 oz of some kind of protein: chicken, chicken wings, pulled pork, hamburger patty from frozen, ham, baked fish (prebaked and then reheated in micro at work) I always add a pat of butter to add fat to the meat. Or if I have a tuna wrap, then it's a can of tuna w/mayo.

I have my 1-2 cups of veggies which consist usually of the following: Cucumbers, celery, radishes, sometimes I have 1/2 cup of cut up zucchini with 1 cup of a salad veggie. I make homemade dill dip made with mayo and I sometimes dip my veggies in that, but I stopped that because I thought that was stalling me but maybe not, I'll have to see what happens later. I then drink 32 oz of water throughout my work day.

Dinner is again 4-6 oz of protein (Usually 6 oz): pot roast, salmon loaf, fried pork chops, rib eye on the grill, chicken, ribs in slow cooker with a no sugar rub, green & red pepper stir-fry w/ beef or pork. Dinner veggies are usually 1/2 cup of broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, fried cabbage or slaw made with mayo.

After dinner another glass of water. Oh I forgot, I now have an after work glass of iced coffee using unsweetened Almond milk (1 cup) with liquid sweetener.

Sometimes when I'm hungry I have an ounce of cheese for a snack. Also I found that everything tastes better with garlic. So I use garlic a lot in my cooking. For a sweet treat I make jello and whipping cream about twice a week.

That's pretty much it. Weekends I usually make a salad using ground beef & taco flavoring, avocado and pico de gallo with homemade garlic dressing.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 230/189/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 59%

Well, that sounds just about perfect! We started about the same weight, and have lost about the same amount...but I started 2 months before you. I KNOW mine is the wine that I consume...

BTW...would love to have your homemade garlic dressing recipe!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-14, 14:37

BF:

I can't lay claim to this recipe. I found it on the net somewhere. I double it so I can also use it (sans water) as a dip.

1/2 cup mayo
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 - 2 cloves garlic (I use 2)
2 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp water
Kosher salt
black pepper

Blend together in a small bowl (or I use a canning jar cause I can use the lid). Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Easy & delicious.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 17:53

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Meintc, you really have your stuff together! You are off to an amazing start. Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of wisdom here, so feel free to ask questions. I look forward to watching your success story unfold!