Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 15:23

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%
Default Ketones have anticancer effects regardless of glucose levels

This is interesting - this study says that added ketones inhibit cancer tumor growth regardless of glucose levels or amount of calorie restriction.

Abstract:

Quote:
Cancer cells express an abnormal metabolism characterized by increased glucose consumption owing to genetic mutations and mitochondrial dysfunction. Previous studies indicate that unlike healthy tissues, cancer cells are unable to effectively use ketone bodies for energy. Furthermore, ketones inhibit the proliferation and viability of cultured tumor cells. As the Warburg effect is especially prominent in metastatic cells, we hypothesized that dietary ketone supplementation would inhibit metastatic cancer progression in vivo. Proliferation and viability were measured in the highly metastatic VM-M3 cells cultured in the presence and absence of β-hydroxybutyrate (βHB). Adult male inbred VM mice were implanted subcutaneously with firefly luciferase-tagged syngeneic VM-M3 cells. Mice were fed a standard diet supplemented with either 1,3-butanediol (BD) or a ketone ester (KE), which are metabolized to the ketone bodies βHB and acetoacetate. Tumor growth was monitored by in vivo bioluminescent imaging. Survival time, tumor growth rate, blood glucose, blood βHB and body weight were measured throughout the survival study. Ketone supplementation decreased proliferation and viability of the VM-M3 cells grown in vitro, even in the presence of high glucose. Dietary ketone supplementation with BD and KE prolonged survival in VM-M3 mice with systemic metastatic cancer by 51 and 69%, respectively (p < 0.05). Ketone administration elicited anticancer effects in vitro and in vivo independent of glucose levels or calorie restriction. The use of supplemental ketone precursors as a cancer treatment should be further investigated in animal models to determine potential for future clinical use.

Free full article - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/.../ijc.28809/full
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/168/145 Female 5.3 inch
BF:Better Now
Progress: 62%

So I wonder if supplementing with ketones on a high carb diet would give you the appetite reducing effects of a lC diet.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 17:11

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2923987/

Quote:
A Ketone Ester Diet Increases Brain Malonyl-CoA and Uncoupling Proteins 4 and 5 while Decreasing Food Intake in the Normal Wistar Rat*

That's added to the food itself, though--sometimes the effect of a supplement is different when it's given in the chow than when it's put in the drinking water.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 17:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm... very interesting! If I should ever get cancer, I'm going to try Dr. Seyfried's diet and probably augment it with coconut oil.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 17:28
Registered Member

So Ive seen the ketones for sale on offbeat nutrition sites. If I add it to my food I should be good to go on a pastry diet. Hmmmmm...
Every time I have a high carb day it takes about 3 days for my hunger level, energy, attitude and desire for carbs to get back in line with ketosis. It would be worth trying just to see if those symptoms would abate.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 17:32

BF:

The idea of a high carb/high ketone diet makes me a little nervous. Pain-free induction would be pretty cool, though.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 17:33
Registered Member

Ditttttto!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
The idea of a high carb/high ketone diet makes me a little nervous. Pain-free induction would be pretty cool, though.

Wouldn't this be similar to Wahl's protocol? I think she advocates lots and lots of veggies and then supplements with coconut or MCT oil on top of that. Been meaning to read her book.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 19:55
Registered Member

So I found the ketones I am going to order them and wait until the next time I have an off plan day to see if it makes a difference in how I feel taking them. I will try to remember to post my experience.
I dont know about the wahls protocol. I am not really suggesting a high carb diet with ketones.
If ketones reduce the symptoms of induction they could make the difference on getting back on plan after a without agitation or aggravation.
MCT's are probably helpful too but my tolerance for them is low, Might be worth it to combine them ?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 20:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
Wouldn't this be similar to Wahl's protocol? I think she advocates lots and lots of veggies and then supplements with coconut or MCT oil on top of that. Been meaning to read her book.

She's still not talking high carb, is she? I had the impression it was more moderate carb. Seventy grams of carbs from veggies, plus mct oil is one thing. The standard American diet plus ketone esters is another. I know nobody here is advocating that.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 20:58
Experimenter

BF:

There are different levels to her diet. The most strict is pretty low carb paleo. You have to eat 6 cups of veggies a day, but they're very low carb ones like kale, collards, etc. I'd bet it is around 30-40g of net carbs.

But the purpose of the diet is for autoimmune/brain issues rather than cancer.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-14, 21:28

The lead on that study was Dr. Dominic D'Agostino. I've heard of him before in reference to ketogenic diets used for cancer control. Here's a TedX talk he gave. (Whoa, he looks like the Arnold Schwarzenegger of cancer researchers.)

Link
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-14, 06:19

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Ketone supplementation lowered blood glucose, elevated blood ketones and decreased body weight

Talk about a CICO paradox. Increasing calories IN decreased body size.

This thread for more on cancer/ketones (reference #10 in the paper above): http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=447278
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-14, 09:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003

You should look up Dr. Eades' critique of Wahl's diet. In summary, he proposes that a nutrient-dense diet of meat (especially organ protein), fat, plus some veggies would have hastened Wahl's recovery and even improved it.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-14, 11:45
Experimenter

BF:

I'm not quite sure I understand that criticism. She has very specific recommendations on eating organ meats and lots of them. But she also believes there are nutrients in vegetables that we haven't even discovered yet.

This was the diet that lead to her recovery. You can speculate all you want about what diet would've improved her faster, but it isn't an experiment you can repeat (or should repeat). She makes it very clear that the recommendations she makes are because they worked for her.