Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 04:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Is Roundup the Cause of 'Gluten Intolerance'?

Quote:
A compelling new peer-reviewed report from two U.S. scientists argues that increased use of Monsanto’s glyphosate herbicide (trade name Roundup) could be the cause of the epidemic of symptoms labeled as “gluten intolerance.”

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/real...x#ixzz36gQckvcl

This report mirrors my own thinking, which is now confirmed. While Dr. Davis (Wheatbelly) and Dr. Perlmutter (Grain Brain) offer convincing arguments that wheat alone is bad for us, adding pesticide to the mix can't be a good thing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 06:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

When that study came out in Feb, it was the first time I had ever heard that Roundup was used as a drying agent and sprayed on the crops listed about a week before harvest! There I thought it was sprayed once or twice on the plant at the beginning of the growing season (so how much could be left when the seed was harvested months later?) and this news made me a bit obsessive about avoiding all soybean oil, grains in any form. It was extensively discussed on the WheatBellyFB, Dr. Davis held the view that there were still many other compounds in wheat beside the gluten and roundup that can damage the gut. From an earlier post. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/...is-for-sissies/ But from a cancer prevention standpoint, roundup on the seeds days before harvest is far worse in my mind.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 08:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Then when you think about it, grains share storage space after harvest in silos, trucking containers, train cars, etc. So it could be contaminating other grains as well. Even if they don't use Round-up on other grains, and I'm sure they do, they come to us with a hearty dose of residual hericide, probably.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Jul-06-14 at 08:42.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 11:20

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I don't know about other farmers but BF only applies Roundup once a year, a second time only if its really needed (it costs money.) There is no reason to spray it on to dry it up, when the grwing season is done the plants naturally dry up, drop leaves and ready to harvest. No real reason to add anything to spead the process up, you need the seeds on the plant as long as possible to get them as big as possible.

I don't know if I believe this article, there is no reason to spray the crops again.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 11:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...on-wheat-belly/

Yeah, they do it.

Quote:
I have been a wheat farmer for 50 yrs and one wheat production practice that is very common is applying the herbicide Roundup (glyposate) just prior to harvest. Roundup is licensed for preharvest weed control. Monsanto, the manufacturer of Roundup claims that application to plants at over 30% kernel moisture result in roundup uptake by the plant into the kernels. Farmers like this practice because Roundup kills the wheat plant allowing an earlier harvest.

Specifically to allow an early harvest.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 11:55

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

The whole GMO/Monsanto Roundup Ready thing is what got us on the road to low carbing in the first place. We watched this over a year ago and we were convinced that our food supplies being tampered with was potentially causing many of the current issues with gluten/grain intolerance and obesity. We weren't even aware of Wheat Belly or Grain Brain yet... so we came to the realization from a different angle entirely.
Here's what changed our minds: The World According To Monsanto (it's a documentary that is 1 hour and 49 minutes long if you're unfamiliar with it)
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 17:00

BF:

My step father raises wheat so I caled him, he said he does not know anyone that sprays the crops to spead up the process of them drying out. Of course we do live around all small farms so dont know what the giant farms do.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Sereen, that Monsanto documentary has to be one of the most disturbing videos I have ever seen. Thank you for posting the link.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 05:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
My step father raises wheat so I caled him, he said he does not know anyone that sprays the crops to spead up the process of them drying out. Of course we do live around all small farms so dont know what the giant farms do.

I think that's the problem... small farms are being attacked, and swallowed up, by the giant farms, who do all kinds of heinous things.

I think we need to reverse that trend, and give the land back to small farmers, like the ones you are a part of.

We'd all eat, and sleep, better!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 08:39

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

We have a lot of 'Roundup water runoff in wells' in my area. From soybean fields...used to be they sprayed but now the seeds contain it (GMO). sigh...and I'd have to leave my home (before we got out of it and moved) for several days because of my IgE reactions to the spray lingering in the air...they STILL do it...here.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 10:13
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Gee, Sereen, I just watched that video and I think I may have the answer to how to lose weight more successfully. That video has made me not want to eat anything. Looks like our meat, dairy, and grain supplies are all completely contaminated, and on a global level. Everything is cross-contaminated by the wind or by insidious behaviors of Big Everything companies. Clearly we're just kidding ourselves if we for one minute think anything labeled organic, Non-GMO or FDA approved is safer than anything else. Images of the movie Soylent Green kept coming into my head as I watched this video. Is that next, and literally not even around the corner, once they control 100% of the food supplies of the world. Man, I don't think I even want to live in a world like that. That takes psyschopathic and sociopathic to a corporate level that has managed to literally nauseate me this morning.

Last edited by Buttoni : Mon, Jul-07-14 at 10:49.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 14:02

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
...Man, I don't think I even want to live in a world like that. That takes psyschopathic and sociopathic to a corporate level that has managed to literally nauseate me this morning.

I'm thinking the control grab for our food supply has been pretty brazen, but I'm not willing to lay down and die for anyone. I try to keep up with various movements that try to limit or take away the control these people have gained over our food supply - and us. I don't want to live in OR leave our children to a world like that either, and it all makes me really sad too. We're looking to have more of our own animals and possibly build some of our own greenhouses so we can grow more of our own foods (we have people using GMO and Roundup all around is, so due to prevailing winds, open growing of things like corn is just going to result in what you saw in the documentary). In short, we're making moves to try to protect ourselves and I think that's probably the best anyone can do. Eliminating untrusted foods (grains especially right now) from our daily diet is a giant step for us in that process.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 04:06

BF:

Such concerns have led my husband and I to buy locally -- even in the mountains, we have nearby farms! There is a huge interest in growing organically and sustainable, humane, husbandry.

I'm proud to be part of the low carb/Paleo movement that will give us back our food supply. The biggest advantage such monstrous corporate acts always had was secrecy. Now, that weapon can't be used the way it was when they started this.

And that will end it. Europe already has taken huge steps!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 06:36

BF:

I asked BF about that last night and he said it would do no good to spray soy beans with Round up to kill them off faster. Almost all these days are Roundup resistant and there is nothing to plant after soybenas in the fall so no hurry to get them out.

Wheat was another story, he understood why they would try to spead up the process with wheat. They plant wheat in the fall and it comes up with the last snow in the spring. It combined when done in the spring, usually as late as June. After they take the wheat out, they replant the soybenas. So it would be benafitial for them to quicken the wheat drying up process.

He didn't like that the Round up is sprayed on the ready to be harvested sead pods though. He too thought that would lead to problems with people eating the seads in other forms down the road.

Just buy the grains from us, you will be in better shape LOL
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 06:48
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I think that's the problem... small farms are being attacked, and swallowed up, by the giant farms, who do all kinds of heinous things.

I think we need to reverse that trend, and give the land back to small farmers, like the ones you are a part of.

We'd all eat, and sleep, better!

And I'm doing my part, buying grass-fed beef, chickens and eggs from a TX panhandle farmer (I don't buy his red wheat). Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but I just don't think small farm products/seeds will be safe from BIG CORP pressure and heinous tactics much longer. In other words, I think the safety of the global food supply is irrevocable contaminated and what isn't already transgenetically contaminated.......well it's just a matter of time before the winds are right or the bees make it to those fields and contaminate their crops, too.