Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 10:18

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Many of us can never progress beyond the fruits allowed early on in Atkins. Low on the carb ladder are raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, cherries (at least in some editions, not sure about all), cantaloupe, honeydew melon.

And rhubarb! Found out from reading Dr. Bernstein that rhubarb is low-carb. The carb counts vary quite a bit, even in official sources. But still low if eaten in small amounts.

I found out by accident (I was feeling really peckish that day) that if I put 2 tablespoons of Splenda-sweetened rhubarb over an ounce or so of cream cheese (the 1/3 less fat variety which has fewer carbs), it tastes like cheesecake!

And very satisfying. I was able to stick to 1 serving with no cravings later.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 11:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

A thought on the celebration stuff... not to pick on CalebD. Maybe he's like me in terms of lifestyle and celebrations, though.

I don't live near my family and I don't 'hang out' with friends. It's just me and my SO. I'm strange this way. My relatives in the US are a BIG family and all live very close to one another. I see similar family/friend groups among my coworkers on Facebook. Basically, it seems like it's just one non-stop crap-food-fest. It was just the 4th of July, okay, but next weekend it's someone's birthday. Last month there were two weddings and three graduation parties. Work get-togethers, going to visit the in-laws... they're visiting and celebrating something non-stop. THIS is why you can't just say, "oh, well it's a holiday, so I'll go ahead and treat myself." Because it doesn't end there.

I'm thinking maybe half the reason I'm successful is that I have no life and my "family celebrations" are non-existent. It doesn't cost me any carbs to wish my friends and family a Happy Birthday/Grad/whatever on their FB timelines.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jul-06-14 at 11:17.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 11:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I found out by accident (I was feeling really peckish that day) that if I put 2 tablespoons of Splenda-sweetened rhubarb over an ounce or so of cream cheese (the 1/3 less fat variety which has fewer carbs), it tastes like cheesecake!

You are giving me thoughts. Have to check that out.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 12:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
You are giving me thoughts. Have to check that out.

Remember, it's been a LONG time since I had real cheesecake! Just sayin'.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 12:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Basically, it seems like it's just one non-stop crap-food-fest...THIS is why you can't just say, "oh, well it's a holiday, so I'll go ahead and treat myself." Because it doesn't end there.

We're the same with family stuff, but church events are something else. It seems that every time I turn around there's another pot-luck get-together. After being burned by what I was assured to be "safe" food, I started eating only my own safe food - and I learned by sad experience to pack a separate lunch for myself. It's no fun if my safe food is all gone by the time I get to it. The only things I'll eat at a pot-luck are naked celery sticks and plain meat when I know the cook.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 15:05

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Bonnie - I just learned to not eat, I would eat after I got home! It was hard because I was on church staff, but most of the members knew I was eating differently and had seen my weight loss (this was my first round with LC) and knew why I wasn't eating so they didn't push.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 16:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
Bonnie - I just learned to not eat, I would eat after I got home! It was hard because I was on church staff, but most of the members knew I was eating differently and had seen my weight loss (this was my first round with LC) and knew why I wasn't eating so they didn't push.

Doesn't work for me - I get too hungry if I miss a meal. I no longer have to eat as much as I did, but I still have to eat something. Preferably meat.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 16:28

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

CalebD: Perhaps you need to free yourself of thinking so linear as to believe that all carbs or all fruit carbs are "identical," as well as thinking we all process these things the same way.
They aren't all the same.
We aren't all the same.
Calories play a role, but calorie theory isn't the end-all-be-all any more than glycemic index or general carbs are.

Some individuals might have difficulty with a fruit that looks identical to another in terms of "the numbers," whereas another person has no difficulty. They might do okay with one type of berries and not so okay with another. Same with melons or citrus or other fruit families.
In terms of what spikes someone's blood sugar or how their body will react to it given a particular time of the day or in combination with a million other variables: You would have no idea what is hurtful to them in the short or long term, and it is presumptuous given your own experience to assume you do. Many times, THEY don't know if it is hurtful to them or not (which was the point of the OPs original statement regarding watermelon consumption), but someone who is mindful and eats to their meter to determine these variables for themselves for their own future reference. It does them no good whatsoever to say "It is so infrequent that it doesn't matter if you check because it won't kill you this one time." How do you know? Are you so sure? I've worked with people who were standing there talking to me with a blood glucose of 17 mg/dl and in the next several hours they were >800 mg/dl by lab draw. There are some people who are seriously *that* brittle with their diabetes. Frequency is a relative term, so if you're talking in terms of what you think is 'frequent' as opposed to what they might think is frequent, these can be very disparate values. Regardless of whether you can agree upon what "frequency" means, what works for you at the same frequency may not be at all acceptable for them to maintain control of their own blood glucose or metabolic situation.

To accuse people here of being "fruit haters" is absurd. You seem to mistake proceeding with caution and prudence with anti-fruit zealotry. I would bet most people here would not mind eating fruit if it didn't have negative impacts on their metabolic goals (whether it be weight loss or blood glucose control). Many will test and re-test in an effort to somehow fit their favorites into their eating plans more frequently, but sometimes it really needs to stay as a very rare and controlled treat if they are to succeed in the long term.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 18:02
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 200/152/160 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Many of us can never progress beyond the fruits allowed early on in Atkins. Low on the carb ladder are raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, cherries (at least in some editions, not sure about all), cantaloupe, honeydew melon.

I'd count all of those as good options, and good fruits from the standpoint of sugar content. Of course, their calories are still carb calories, but I'd consider them in the range of better fruit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I've been at this site for 5 months and this same arguement has popped up in one form or another at least half a dozen times. Some members don't see why other members are so adamant about not going off plan -- even a little. It all boils down to what happens to you as an individual when you choose to break from your plan and eat a high carb (high GI) food. Some suffer no ill effects and have no trouble getting back on plan. Some have elevated cravings for a while, but can deal with them and manage to get back on plan, and some (like me) get massive carb cravings for days that take superhuman will power to overcome. For me, the tiny bit of pleasure is not worth all the pain.

This is another aspect to dieting. Obviously you know yourself better than most people. If something is a trigger food for you, it would be best avoided, regardless of what you hear from someone on a forum.
Quote:
I get the feeling that many of those that don't have issue with the occational high carb food just don't understand or believe that other people are different.

Not exactly, we all have our differences. Diabetes for example will change things drastically. We also are very much the same in ways. People often want a crutch and think they have a slow metabolism or some other defect that causes them to gain weight faster than the average person. This is simply an excuse most the time, and doesn't help that person to believe it to be true, as they now have a valid reason in their minds to justify… Not their weight exactly. This is a delicate topic and I'm probably going to put my foot in my mouth if I say more.
Low carb life is a better way to achieve a healthy weight than most diet options I've heard, but we all are either intaking more calories than we need, or less.
Quote:
It has nothing to do with what happens on the scale. It is about doing what you have to do to say on program. A little cheat has turned into a big cheat and eventually killed my diet on EVERY failed diet I've been on in the past. I never had a cheat where I wasn't planning on getting right back on my program. At his point, I don't really care whether people belive that my carb cravings are a completly different experience that what they get by eating the same food. I know by my own past experience what I must do to stay on plan. I don't play with fire. I don't cheat.

In my family of 5, we have 2 who crave carbs. We are the two who are obese. The others - exposed to the same junk food year after year - don't experience a craving for more shortly after having carby food. My wife (who is one of the 3 w/o a weight problem) has what she calls a "sweet tooth". She likes the occational candy, cake, etc. She can eat 1/2 a candy bar and be done. The sweet tooth craving is satisfied. She'll stick the rest of the bar back in the freezer and may not have the rest for days. If I did the same right now, I would have intense cravings for days and I doubt that the rest of that bar would last 24 hours in the feezer. The cravings are relentless, and unless you've experienced them -- you really don't have any idea what I am talking about.

This seems to be that other aspect as previously mentioned. We do seem to have different trigger foods. Which really is kinda odd. We should all crave the same things if we are all eating the same things, and that would be things we need. Sodium and salty food, for example I crave if I need more salt. I would venture to guess that if you wanted a candy bar more than the next person it's something related to a past experience that makes that food very comforting to you on a personal level. I really like peanut butter. It's just one of my favorite foods. Why I couldn't tell you, but it's really good to me.
Quote:
We don't think you are trying to offend anyone. It's just that fruit is a tricky food for most people on low carb, and it's easy to eat a lot of it and take on a carb load we aren't expecting.

All Fruit is all mostly sugar by caloric value I think we can agree on that. I jumped in on Watermelon cause it's what I consider as good fruit, being very light in calories. It's digested quickly, and has sugar, yes, but it's also very light in calories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbedd
sorry but that made me laugh....Caleb..it works for you! Im in maintenance...and eating watermelon ( after a solid portion of protein) causes no bs spikes for me...I enjoy it....not often ( we are a household of 2 )...so we get watermelon for family or friend events..then send the rest home.....I don't eat a lot of fruit..simply because it doesn't taste as good as the fruit from my trees...grapevines...and raspberry bush..so when my garden produces I eat fruit....without a lot of figuring..worry..or guilt...the rest of the year..fruit consumption is rare...occasional cantaloupe---usually disappointing...froz berries....and watermelon..if it isn't tasty I don't finish it..

Each person must find what works for them.....tsk tsking others who are perhaps freer with their choices...is a "diet fundamentalism" I shy away from..

At least someone laughed at my nonsense You've kinda hit what I was trying to get at. I meant that in the long term fruit was a good idea. even apples It's not a bad idea to be very strict in the beginnings of low carb, a year? Ok. 10 years? harder to do with no fruit.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD
...t's not a bad idea to be very strict in the beginnings of low carb, a year? Ok. 10 years? harder to do with no fruit.

#56   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 06:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
It's not a bad idea to be very strict in the beginnings of low carb, a year? Ok. 10 years? harder to do with no fruit.

I haven't had any grains (90% of the grocery store, 80% of what is served in restaurants, 90% of the typical BBQ or potluck) in three years, and I don't expect to eat bread or noodles or oatmeal or rice for the rest of my life.

Dr. Bernstein, famous diabetes doctor and very long-lived type I, says he hasn't eaten fruit in decades.

I see from your stats you are a relatively young, relatively fit, man who still thinks "calories" is a scientifically sound concept when it comes to weight loss. While I am a middle-aged woman who has been wrestling with weight since adolescence. Who lived for months on 1200 calories a day without losing and lost 70 pounds on an average calorie intake of 1800 while low carbing.

Hope you continue to learn, grasshopper
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 08:06

BF:

Quote:
Dr. Bernstein, famous diabetes doctor and very long-lived type I, says he hasn't eaten fruit in decades.

Because Dr. B has lived into his 90s, I'm trusting his advice on fruit. I now think of fruit as a dessert, not a vital part of a meal. Last night I had 1/4 cup Splenda-sweetened rhubarb with NO BG spike. Yeah!

Quote:
Hope you continue to learn, grasshopper

He may be too young to get the reference!
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 11:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

The Kung Fu the legend Continues with David Carradine?
I liked that show. I don't agree that my age is relevant to what I have said. Either what I said makes sense, or is doesn't, my age is kinda non factor in that.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 12:58

Quote:
The Kung Fu the legend Continues with David Carradine?
I liked that show. I don't agree that my age is relevant to what I have said. Either what I said makes sense, or is doesn't, my age is kinda non factor in that.

Wisdom and maturity can come from age, but I don't think you need to worry about that.
What you have said makes zero (0) sense as it regards individuals and their own personal metabolic situations and is a blatant disregard of experts in the field (with proven results for their thousands of diabetes patients vs your personal n=1).
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 14:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereen

Wisdom and maturity can come from age, but I don't think you need to worry about that..

Ouch, meaning I can have neither?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereen
What you have said makes zero (0) sense as it regards individuals and their own personal metabolic situations and is a blatant disregard of experts in the field (with proven results for their thousands of diabetes patients vs your personal n=1).

I'll disagree with "experts" when I think they are wrong yes, maybe that's very narrow minded of me.
When did this thread become about Diabetics? Type 1 Diabetes changes things drastically. If I couldn't produce insulin I wouldn't eat fruit either.

Last edited by CalebD : Mon, Jul-07-14 at 14:44.